Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arts omnibus help

Options
  • 12-06-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

harrow all

my head is actually mush from all this stuff i applied as a mature student to ucd and trinity , and have been offerd a place in ucd for arts omnibus i wasn't successful for history on its own but i did get in to the omnibus thingy ,

feeling really thick , i dont understand how it works , do i have to pick a subject from each category how does it work ?

if anyone can simplify this for me it wud b a great help

cheers
    jen (simple is as simple does)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

In order to get through 1 year at UCD you do 60 credits of modules, a module is worth 5 credits, so you do 12 modules in 1 year, 6 modules in semester. A subject (e.g. History/Geography/Economics etc...) is made up of four modules. If you want to do say single honours history (i.e. like the people who got it at denominated entry) you do at least 4 modules in history and whatever else you want, at the end of the year you'll get an email or a letter saying you "finished within the top half or top third of the class", they'll give you the option of doing single honours history and then you can do that. That's how it works.

So remember:
    1 year = 60 credits
    1 module = 5 credits (i.e. elective = 5 credits, it's just a module)
    Therefore 1 year = 12 modules
    A subject (i.e. "a major") is made up of 4 modules
    A minor is made of 2 modules
    In 1st year you can do three subjects or
    2 subjects + 2 minors or
    2 subjects + 1`minor + 2 electives

This is all I can remember from the system, it's slightly confusing, I didn't understand it when I started so I just did 3 subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

There are loads of orientation guides during the first week of college who can go through registration with you, or you can call the programme office, or drop into them if you are unsure.

Advertisement