Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Here Ever Live Abroad? Thinking Of London.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

bullsilver wrote: »
    when you move over you can work for 28 days without an ni number. I dont see the point in using those companies who do it for 55 pound you ring DPW set up an interview do it and u get your number. with the bank account you call in and say "hello id like to open a bank account" 55 pound saved. them give you a temp number. As for jobs i had a week of interviews and had 3 offers after the week. But you will be working alot harder here than at home depending on your industry. and you will pay alot more in tax. but you can see where the tax money goes unlike ireland.

Bear in mind if you are desperate and need a job in a pub chain / fast food joint or something similar to live they will weed you out at the first stages by asking if you have a NI number

GET A NI NUMBER AS SOON AS YOU LAND, NEXT BANK ACCOUNT

What are the employment prospects for someone with a high 2.1 in a pretty pointless degree(commerce, focused on economics and information systems) and 2 years in a supermarket as their only work experience?

I've about €4k to work off initially if it's needed.

Bring €1000 with you and try it out, if it don't work go home and you still have €3000 in the bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Cailin22

What is the process of getting the NI number?
    I've been in London a week and i'm looking for a job and need this number, is it hard to get?
    (Sorry about all the questions!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Bring €1000 with you and try it out, if it don't work go home and you still have €3000 in the bank
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking of doing, could have a postgrad lined up to do if the summer didn't work. How long would €1k last? A month?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Cailin22 wrote: »
    What is the process of getting the NI number?
    I've been in London a week and i'm looking for a job and need this number, is it hard to get?
    (Sorry about all the questions!)

find out where your local benefit office is and give them a shout to make an appointment. it'll take a week or so to get the number after, at least it did when i got it.

• Advertisement

find out where your local benefit office is and give them a shout to make an appointment. it'll take a week or so to get the number after, at least it did when i got it.

Oh perfect, Thank you!!!

Yeah that's what I'm thinking of doing, could have a postgrad lined up to do if the summer didn't work. How long would €1k last? A month?

Depends, have you any where to doss down while looking

Hey guys, Does anyone know of any jobs going in London?
    I've been here 2 weeks now and I'm giving myself 2 weeks more and if I don't have a job by then I'll head back to Ireland.
    I graduated this year with a Bachelor Honours Degree in Business Studies and every ad I look at want 2 or 3+ years experience, such a pain.
    Any Irish/Londoners here that can help me out? It would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Hey guys, Does anyone know of any jobs going in London?
    I've been here 2 weeks now and I'm giving myself 2 weeks more and if I don't have a job by then I'll head back to Ireland.
    I graduated this year with a Bachelor Honours Degree in Business Studies and every ad I look at want 2 or 3+ years experience, such a pain.
    Any Irish/Londoners here that can help me out? It would be much appreciated!

Have you got on to any recruiters?

I've looked up shed loads of job sites like Guardian jobs/Monster etc. I haven't physically gone into an employment agency yet... Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement

don't forget gumtree!!

ballysmchugh - I'm searching that daily! Thanks anyway!

what do you want to work at? are you at the stage where you'll take anything or just stay within your field??

efinancialcareers.co.uk is another good one

what do you want to work at? are you at the stage where you'll take anything or just stay within your field??

At the moment i'm not bothered, just need 450 a month for my rent! Definitely think wages in Ireland are much better!

At the moment i'm not bothered, just need 450 a month for my rent! Definitely think wages in Ireland are much better!

I would consider professional positions to be paid higher than roles in Ireland. Rent is steeper over here than Dublin but cost of living is significantly cheaper so over the long run I think it balances out.

One last site,
    http://jobonline.thecareersgroup.co.uk/ucl/student/
    It is a UCL site but you don't need any UCL log in details. Should have plenty of grad positions!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

You shouldnt put all the pressure on yourself to get a permanent job in the first couple of weeks. There is lots of work out there.

From what ive seen, by far the best thing is to register to work for temp agencies, there are literally hundreds of them in London. This is great as its gets money coming in weekly, allows you to work for a variety of companies enabling you to see if its where you would like to work, but also means the company get a greater insight into your ability than any interview.

I started temping on about £15 ph, and got taken on permanent in the role i am now in less than 3 months, and the last fella to come in as a temp has also just been taken on.

I would say, book in to see 4 agencies a day over a couple of days. You will need to interview and test so try to pick ones that are close by each other.

3 agencies I would recommend from personal experience are:
    Huntress - http://www.huntress.co.uk/home/home.asp
    ROC - http://www.roc.co.uk/
    Tate - http://www.tate.co.uk/

You could call them today and get in tomorrow for interviews.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

i think London is pretty cool place especially if your in your 20's too, lots of stuff to do, always some sort of good band in town, good pubs/clubs, people are fairly sound, the only other place ive been in Engerland is Newcastle on a stag - dump!
    Go for it, it can't be as expensive as here!

Advertisement