Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology predictions

• 12-06-2010 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭

Does anyone know what experiments are tipped to come up at all? I know there is 23, they are just too much to study!! Is there a few that I can leave out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bearcub

some ones to focus on:

- dissection and identification of the heart
    - anaerobic respiration/alcohol fermentation
    - leaf yeast
    - affect of exercise on breathing rate/heart rate
    - demonstrating osmosis
    - isolating dna
    - demonstrating seeds taking in energy, one with kidney beans turning starch to maltose
    - affect of heat on enzyme activity
    - animal cell
    - use of a microscope, although i cant imagine this being significant enough to warrent coming up.

i imagine if you studied these to a decent level you should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

bearcub wrote: »
    some ones to focus on:

- leaf yeast
    - demonstrating osmosis
    - isolating dna
    - demonstrating seeds taking in energy, one with kidney beans turning starch to maltose
    - animal cell
    - use of a microscope, although i cant imagine this being significant enough to warrent coming up.

i my gosh if we got the heart rate i would die of happiness :P

is the kidney bean one, the one in which you boil the control ones, put them on agar plates etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

No offence but seeing how the English predictions went *cough*BOLAND*cough*
    theres really no point in trying to predict unless you have Derren Brown handy...

10 out of 23 experiments is hardy risking it in my opinion,

that whole Boland fiasco was pretty rediculous and i don't think we should expect a mass trend amongst all the subjects. all the other poets went pretty as predicted in my opinion, certainly in the case of yeats who was actually more pegged as coming up than boland.

due to the extensive nature of the biology course a certain amount of prediction is always in effect, if only to make sure they question candidates on the widest range possible. but of course i could be completely wrong.

@muffinz , yeh that's the one, and you use iodine to demonstrate their enzyme action on the starch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jack Leahy

that whole Boland fiasco was pretty rediculous and i don't think we should expect a mass trend amongst all the subjects. all the other poets went pretty as predicted in my opinion, certainly in the case of yeats who was actually more pegged as coming up than boland.

due to the extensive nature of the biology course a certain amount of prediction is always in effect, if only to make sure they question candidates on the widest range possible. but of course i could be completely wrong.

@muffinz , yeh that's the one, and you use iodine to demonstrate their enzyme action on the starch.

More people went in with only Boland than only Yeats, and given that there are two women, one always comes up and Rich came up in 2008, BOLAND WAS THE HOTTEST TIP!

Making things up doesn't actually strengthen your argument.

• Advertisement

do you mean "hardly" risking it? and thank you, im so screwed when it comes to the names of the chemicals used >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I have heard the ear alot. Viruses because of swiner 09er. Human reproduction and photosynthesis :) oh and food is always Q1 right?

Conor108 wrote: »
    I have heard the ear alot. Viruses because of swiner 09er. Human reproduction and photosynthesis :) oh and food is always Q1 right?

not sure if its always q1, but it comes up in the short qs every year no doubt about it, along with ecology... im listening to a podcast now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Ya Boland was just speculations tbh.

Like no podcasts said for her n stuff.

Jack Leahy wrote: »
    More people went in with only Boland than only Yeats, and given that there are two women, one always comes up and Rich came up in 2008, BOLAND WAS THE HOTTEST TIP!

Making things up doesn't actually strengthen your argument.

i'm hardly making stuff up, of course Boland was what everyone was saying but my teachers were all more convinced on yeats being a very likely appearance as boland seemed too obvious for the exams commition not to pull some shlippery snakeness.

i think we're missing the real point here. relying on one poet , especially one that was the "sure bet", was a really bad idea.

the ear and male reproduction are apparently very likely, but we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

some ones to focus on:

- leaf yeast
    - demonstrating osmosis
    - isolating dna
    - animal cell

Came up either last year or 08/07. Its pH thats tipped :D

sorry that's the one. those two enzyme experiments kinda mingle together in my head.
    immobilising is possible as well. i think bioprocessing could well be a feature in the long Q's this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

immobilising is possible as well

*very unlikely as it came up last year and has been asked more than once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

If you really want to narrow it down, I'd recommend
    - All ecology (Because this is usually part of q10)
    - effect of heat and pH on enzyme activity (to know one is to know all imo)
    - Heart Rate
    - Leaf Yeast
    - DNA isolation
    - Demonstrating osmosis
    - Respiration experiment
    - Photosynthesis experiment
    - Food tests (Not really in depth, just for part 1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 LeeLeepet

Just learn all the experiments. record your notes on your mp3 or pc and listen to them. easy peasy memorisation.

Advertisement