Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does the Oral marking work?

• 12-06-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I no the oral is over and I should concentrate on the L.C but just curious how the marking for the French & Irish oral work.The examiner doesn't no if your higher or ordinary level (even though they will have an idea fairly quickly).
    I no the marking for French goes like this: Pronunciation (20%)
    Vocabulary (20%)
    Structure (30%)
    Communication (30%)

It's out of 100 marks for French and 150 for Irish but how does it work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Jack Leahy

NotExactly wrote: »
    I no the oral is over and I should concentrate on the L.C but just curious how the marking for the French & Irish oral work.The examiner doesn't no if your higher or ordinary level (even though they will have an idea fairly quickly).
    I no the marking for French goes like this: Pronunciation (20%)
    Vocabulary (20%)
    Structure (30%)
    Communication (30%)

It's out of 100 marks for French and 150 for Irish but how does it work?

It's 30 for the sliocht, and 70-50 for saibhreas teanga and stór focail, I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Jack Leahy wrote: »
    It's 30 for the sliocht, and 70-50 for saibhreas teanga and stór focail, I think...

But how does it work with Honours and Ordinary level?

Both marked out of 150...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Jack Leahy wrote: »
    Both marked out of 150...

I taught they adjust the marking at the end or something?

So the ordinary students are up against the honours? Surely that's not fair..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

i can't see how that works... surely if i go in with all my honours phrases and such a blazing i should get an A... after me i get someone going in dia duit dia is mhuire duit.. conas ata tu.. ta me go maith... inis dom faoin an scoil seo.. ta dha satharlann.. ta na muinteoiri go deas. is maith liom scoil... etc etc etc... then they get an A for their pass oral which is naturally suited to the pass leaving cert standard...

unless the examiner gives 2 marks - one as a higher level student, one as a ordinary level student i can't see how it'd work...

like sure i'm in honours... couldn't i not just go in and use very very very simple pass phrases and the examiner would think i was a brilliant pass student and therefore i'd get an A when really i should be getting a D or whatever....

the other method being that pass students get their marks weighted or something like 1.5x the marks they get on the oral is there score or something like that

• Advertisement

No, examiner has no idea and they're never adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Fairly certain they use some fraction for ordinary level people. Something of the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

but if there never adjusted how can any student possibly expect to get an A in pass irish.. unless they are fluent at honours standard they can't expect to be marked the same and therefore their down 70-80 marks immediately which has them already out of A1 category for pass... and if they were that good then surely they'd be in honours

For everything else with an oral, yes. But not in Irish. I'm telling you, look it up.

Advertisement