Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What questions to attempt for Hl maths paper two

• 12-06-2010 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

So what questions should one do if there aiming for a high grade in hl maths?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

eoins23456 wrote: »
    1-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm doing the Circle, Vectors, The Line, Further Calculus and the two Trig questions. Then again I havn't covered any other questions but it'd be lovely if I got a high grade :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

the ones you're good at!
    can't really say which questions you should answer as it really depends on the person.
    i guess if you're caught for time maybe vectors and the two probability questions since they are in my opinion not as time consuming unlike for example the line question.
    but personally I do Q1,3,4,5,6 or 7 and 8(option).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Vectors all the way baby!! I have prepared for every question, but vectors is by far my favourite. Its pretty much up to the paper of the day as to what i do. Im awful at the circle, so ill attempt it but i wont get far.

i like trig, i love the 3d questions...
    i like difference equations so ill be doin that, and combinations are ok, i hate deviation and mean and all that though :(

option q8 is alright i suppose, i hate mclarens, i plan to learn off what can be for mclarens soon

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I hate the way Section B is compulsory. Imagine doing well in Paper 2 only to be messed up by Q8 - and you can't do another question instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

I hate the way Section B is compulsory. Imagine doing well in Paper 2 only to be messed up by Q8 - and you can't do another question instead.

I hated Q8, theres so much to learn for it so i thought myself Q9 which is so much easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

i know the feeling. i messed up my Q8 in my pre while i did good in the others in section A.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

yeah was thinking vector probability and trig cos the circle and line tend to be long.last year i spent 45 mins on the line got it out perfectly but was a complete waste of time as i was playing catch up for the rest of the paper.This year im trying to get ahead of my time curve like ur man that was doing the engineering grands was on about.So might start with vector or probability if its doable that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

circle...
    2 trig..
    2 probability

option question...

when you have time left over because probability takes about 2 minutes to do the entire question then look at the line and as a last resort look at the vectors..

that's the way i'm doing it anyways...

learn cos(a+b) that's tipped but we see what's happened to things that have been tipped

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I hated Q8, theres so much to learn for it so i thought myself Q9 which is so much easier!

But to be good at Q9 you have to be good at probability, right?, which I'm not. I'm good at other parts of the maths course (or at least I like to think that I am!) but I have always found probability hard to get my head around. Some people have a knack for it.

• Advertisement

probability is for the people who understand maths.. therefore most students who haven't a clue what their actually doing when they do maths hate probability..

a lot of teachers hate teaching it as a result because their "ace" student who can learn everything else off can't just go in and learn something off for this question... that's what i find with the entire leaving cert... it's so suited to people who learn stuff off and really really slates students who actually understand the underlying concept of what's actually going on...

found this out with probability this year.. i'm relying on this question for my paper 2.. wish my teacher spent more time it but she seemed to hate teaching it because she couldn't show us a METHOD HOW TO DO THIS QUESTION and therefore so many students who love methods couldn't do it because they had to actually think....

if you know what your at probability is really the easiest question on the paper - otherwise your not going to have a notion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

The key word here is attempt, and i would say everything you humanly can in the time provided.

Studywise though, I'd be inclined to go over both geometry questions as they're incredibly similar, likewise with the trig questions and probability and statistics.
    Another perk of going over probability is if you are completely lost with Q8 you'll probably be able to attempt at least 20marks worth of Q9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Killio9

so true such a load of sh1t! the max/min problems are ridiculously confusing sometimes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

Going with the circle, the 2 Trig, the 2 probability and further calculus.. not because they're my desired options, but because my teacher decided not to do vectors until our last class and he never did the line..
    I'd be inclined for the circle and the probability anyway though. My maths ability seems more inclined towards probability type questions and the circle is very repetitive.

Going with the circle, the 2 Trig, the 2 probability and further calculus.. not because they're my desired options, but because my teacher decided not to do vectors until our last class and he never did the line..
    I'd be inclined for the circle and the probability anyway though. My maths ability seems more inclined towards probability type questions and the circle is very repetitive.

Look at one question on the line this weekend, just to see, the circle question uses an awful lot of the same information and most of the formulae are in the log tables, anything else you did for junior cert so..

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    probability is for the people who understand maths.. therefore most students who haven't a clue what their actually doing when they do maths hate probability..

a lot of teachers hate teaching it as a result because their "ace" student who can learn everything else off can't just go in and learn something off for this question... that's what i find with the entire leaving cert... it's so suited to people who learn stuff off and really really slates students who actually understand the underlying concept of what's actually going on...

found this out with probability this year.. i'm relying on this question for my paper 2.. wish my teacher spent more time it but she seemed to hate teaching it because she couldn't show us a METHOD HOW TO DO THIS QUESTION and therefore so many students who love methods couldn't do it because they had to actually think....

if you know what your at probability is really the easiest question on the paper - otherwise your not going to have a notion

Well I wouldn't agree with that entirely. My older brother had a friend who got 100% in his maths leaving cert (and he did it in the late 1990s, I think it was harder then) and is now doing maths teaching. He said he hated probability. He reckons it isn't real maths - he said it's practical and experimental and he would much rather prefer the mathematical side of it, than working out the 'chance' of a spinner being blue after a 5 is rolled after a ball is pulled out of a hat with replacement.

That's just his opinion - but if he is teaching maths, then I'm sure he isn't just rote-learning it. Most teachers just hate probability, hence why they don't like teaching it. Or maybe they just hate teaching it, rather than hating the actual subject. If you replace the word probability with 'chance', it sounds much less mathsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

Am I the only one who likes q8? One of my favourite questions on paper 2, vectors is nice too.

Am I the only one who likes q8? One of my favourite questions on paper 2, vectors is nice too.

I like it if it was an optional question. I would probably choose to do it. However, the fact that it's compulsory is sorta sickening. Imagine if the Circle Question was compulsory, and they threw up a stinker. Like tangents that run on multiple circles, or something non-standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

question 9 is a lovely question.can easily b done in 5 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 foxpoint1

im gonna do 1,4,5,6,7 8 and then 3 if i have time

probability is my best by far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Q8 is lovely exept for Mclaurin Series imo. I LOVE the max/min problems always soooooo easy for a part C

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shi7zman

well im sorry but if you have to ask the question then im afraid you shouldnt be lookin for high grade. just read them all and do the ones you think you will get most marks from!!!!simple!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 missusblagh

Is it just me or are the trigonometry proofs (the ones that you use Cos(A-B) of) really hard to learn??

Because you have to prove three other proofs for some, for example

Prove SinA = 2SinA/2CosA/2,
    first you have to prove Sin(A+B) and then Sin2A.

This is what my teacher told me, is this right??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

The circle - have to go over some stuff on this but it's generally ok

Vectors - The chapter takes a second to study but the questions are a little more challenging in the papers. You need to think about pathways and stuff but it's generally an ok question

The line is quite basic - stuff you learn from juniour cert works well here. All the formulas are in the tables and it's just a matter of thinking about the question

Trig questions - Proofs are a pain in the ass but generally the questions aren't that abstract and it's just a matter of filling in angles and sides on a diagram using forumulas

Q8 - horrible question..... really boring and can be tedious but I'll revise it tonight and see how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

so whats tippped for the further calculus questions?do we have to be able to derive a maclaurin serius for inverse tan?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

so whats tippped for the further calculus questions?do we have to be able to derive a maclaurin serius for inverse tan?

Afaik we do need to be able to do it.
    I could see the ratio test coming up as it didn't come up last year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

off the topic, but how would you solve this circle equation q:

A cirle passes through the point (2, -4) and has the x and y axis as tangents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

I need some advice here guys, i've neglected the line a **** load until now and haven't really practised any questions from the paper on it. Is it worth trying to cram it in now? Would you normally consider it one of the easier questions?

dynamot wrote: »
    off the topic, but how would you solve this circle equation q:

A cirle passes through the point (2, -4) and has the x and y axis as tangents?

diagram.jpg

when you sketch it out you'll see the centre works out to be 2, -2...

it's kinda common sense but i dunno what way you'd write that down tbh...

you can just see this from the diagram but this won't work every question... jsut worked out in this question...

EDIT>>> the numbers in the diagram have the wrong signs.. my bad

• Advertisement

Is it just me or are the trigonometry proofs (the ones that you use Cos(A-B) of) really hard to learn??

Because you have to prove three other proofs for some, for example

Prove SinA = 2SinA/2CosA/2,
    first you have to prove Sin(A+B) and then Sin2A.

This is what my teacher told me, is this right??

learn the first line and the last one then use your log book to bridge the gap. and i think what your teacher means is that where a=b sin(a+b)=sin(a+a)=sin2a which is the initial thinking behind a few of those proofs but not actually a proof in itself, more an assumed understanding..

Advertisement