Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bms

Options
  • 12-06-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to put in a bms in a medium sized factory and how much is involved in wiring it up

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm not trying to be smart but that is a bit like a how long is a piece of string question.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

i agree with 2011. it all depends on what you want it to do or achieve from it a few details would help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭loadz

That's fair enough,i am not that familiar with this system, i would be looking at controlling the likes of the boiler, air con, lighting and so on. I suppose it would all depend on costs as to how far we would go with regard to controlling individual machines . I would plan on having a few PLC panels in different areas of the plant all linked back to a PC with the option of hooking different machines or whatever to these PLC's as time goes by.Would this be the way to go or is there a better way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

On many of the projects I am working on we would have remote I/O modules like the Siemens ET200 linked together with profibus back to a BMS PLC. The HMI is generally a SCADA system as the HMI that can be accessed on PCs that are on a network throughout the plant. The remote I/Os are located carefully to reduce cabling to a minimum.

The BMS PLC would control "enviromental" conditions such as air changes, room temperetures, room pressures, humidity, lighting etc. It would also be linked to the fire alarm system, emergency lighting and access control systems.

Thanks for that 2011. What would you use the system for say the fire alarm. What i mean is what would you get it to do if the alarm went off, would it be to knock off the air con or bring up barriers and so on. Is it difficult to add new I/Os to the system once it is in place.

• Advertisement

On a project I am working on it will do many things including:
    Shut down the boiler
    Turn off all fuel pumps
    Close all firedoors
    Close fire dampers in HVAC system

What it would do would be different for each project.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

2011 wrote: »
    On many of the projects I am working on we would have remote I/O modules like the Siemens ET200 linked together with profibus back to a BMS PLC. The HMI is generally a SCADA system as the HMI that can be accessed on PCs that are on a network throughout the plant. The remote I/Os are located carefully to reduce cabling to a minimum.

The BMS PLC would control "enviromental" conditions such as air changes, room temperetures, room pressures, humidity, lighting etc. It would also be linked to the fire alarm system, emergency lighting and access control systems.

Any jobs going:D

Would love to expand my electrical knowledge with this sort of work

Thanks for this info 2011 it's very helpful, would you need to break all electrical supplies through contactors and run a control cable from these contactors back to the PLC individually, also at the moment our fire panel will close doors and air solenoids etc if there's a fire so would you still link it to the bms. The things you can do seem limitless but is it easy to manage e.g once the software guys and programmers etc. are gone can you add and remove things as you need yourself. Would you need to be trained in PLC programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the fire alarm could be used to trigger the turning of a PTZ camera to look at a fire, or tirgger an addressable emergency lighting system.

One of the biggest costs here would be the lighting control. If you want the BMS to get involved with the lighting, dimming, zones, emergency lighting etc you could end up spending a lot of money on a lighting control system that simply interfaces with a BMS system.

Other options are using high frequency light fitting with standalone movement and photo sensors, these will control the lighting at local level, and can be very useful, and the BMS system could have a reduced role, timeclocks on the external lighting and turning off certain circuits via contactors in other areas.

Stoner do you need to be able to do PLC programming to be able to use this system, is it difficult to maintain and add to this system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

most lighting control guys have their own engineers on the ground. I prefer to use stand alone stuff myself, problems are localised and its easy to add on to etc.
    Some systems like the Philips units can be be used on a control bus or as standalone, many come set up already are say 800 lux, and you can adjust them with the correct tools/lnowledge or just leave them as is.

Advertisement