Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on cover letter for phd

Options
  • 12-06-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of applying for a phd in Germany in a large research institute, the position is as a result of a new research group in a sub-field of cognitive psychology.

The page says that they are looking for people with a masters in psychology, neuroscience, cognitive science or related fields.
    I have a masters in none of these but I am somewhat knowledgeable about the field and very interested in it.

My problem is that I do not have any specific research questions that I could propose, I certainly have lots of unanswered questions these may well be a result of ignorance (I have a few more books to read!), I have little that I could say with confidence that needs to be researched.

I'm wondering what are their typical expectations of a phd applicant? They ask for "a cover letter (max. 2 pages) that also specifies your future research interests" which is hardly a phd proposal I suppose!

Do they normally filter people based on their skills/experience/results and then work with the candidates to come up with a proposal or do they expect a crystal clear issue to be proposed at the outset? I don't need my hand held but I would need a little guidance and time.
    The other question I would have is, is it common for phd students to work on multiple projects over the course of the phd? I would be open to suggestions by supervisors over the period and perhaps maybe thats what they're looking for.

The latest starting date isn't until January so I'd definitely have a proposal by then, it would be a good idea to apply soon though just in case (the positions are open until they are filled but its been two months now).

So I basically am well capable of this and very interested but I feel that I'll come across as too indecisive if I apply now! That said, the field itself its reasonably narrow, and any application is implicitly expressing an interest in a small range of topics.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement