Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany V Australia-Sunday (19.30)

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Killed them.

Germany 4 World Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

England 9.8, Germany 11.5 on the exchanges. You can only laugh. If I was rich enough I'd lay England.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

german-beer.jpg

Party time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

argosy2006 wrote: »
    german-beer.jpg

Party time

I love boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Typical of barstoolers like Dunphy to hype up an Australia that peaked four years ago, while underestimating Germany.

Nice to see that humble pie served!

Brady leaning around to Hamann for confirmation of facts is quite funny.

Just looking back, when have Germany ever let anyone down at a major tournament? He's a fool and I think he's bitter he lost his bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

England really need to win their group or else they'll be going home early playing this German team...that's if England make it out of their group at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Mister men wrote: »
    England really need to win their group or else they'll be going home early playing this German team...that's if England make it out of their group at all.

Of course they will.

Hamman is a very good pundit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Of course england will make it out of their group.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hamman is a very good pundit.

seems to have a great head on his shoulders, ,,maybe a future liverpool manager, he's a player coach at the moment isn't he :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just looking back, when have Germany ever let anyone down at a major tournament? He's a fool and I think he's bitter he lost his bet.

Their record in WC is outstanding alrite, at the Euros its a bit hit and miss though

Their record in WC is outstanding alrite, at the Euros its a bit hit and miss though

2 blips 6 and 10 years ago but that aside it's absolutely fantastic. I'm sick I missed the big price on them. But I suppose everybody is an expert in hindsight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

My thoughts on tonight, again taken from BackPageFootball.
    1. Özil Rules

Ger-v-Aus-7-Germany-celebrate-Podolski_2465193.jpg

The tabloid headlines tomorrow will be full of Oz puns, but they won’t be referring to Australia. Mesut Özil delivered upon the hype that has surrounded him in South Africa following a stellar season for Werder Bremen. Özil plundered his way to a man of the match performance on the right hand side in tandem with Phillip Lahm and Thomas Müller. Indeed, all four German goals were as a result of the good work from those three players – Özil in particular. He drifted into a more central role before his substitution in the second half, not before setting up Cacau prior to his exit. Australia’s answer in a sensational first half for the 21 year old was to have Vince Grella man mark him, which in theory, seemed the right way to go about it. But consider that Grella has only made 25 appearances for Blackburn in 2 years due to injury, and you get the idea on why it proved to be ineffective. Brett Holman was introduced in the second half but there was little the more attacking minded Alkmaar midfielder could do against the current star of the World Cup.

2. Tactical Masterclass

If you were watching either RTE or ITV’s coverage tonight, you might have picked up on the fact that Germany fielded a much younger side than their Australian counterparts. For those that have ignored any build up to this game, Australia surrendered an average of 6 years per player to the exuberant Germans, with an average age of 30.7 vs 24.7 respectively. And boy did it show. Germany were very fluid in attack, their passing was precise and very slick. Their three pronged assault on the right hand side saw Lahm, Müller and Özil in particular run riot in a relentless first half where the Australians were lucky to be down by only 2 goals. By allowing Özil to take his pick of either drifting in between a very advanced duo of Müller and Lahm on the right hand side, or nestling in between Klose and Müller up front, the German’s drew the Australian midfield and defence towards them. With Chipperfield triple-teamed, Grella was forced to lend a hand but it proved fairly futile. Podolski was allowed loads of room to power home his opener with all the Aussie attention on the other side of the pitch.

1276457364181786.jpg

Above: Germany’s formation changed to a 4-1-4-1 when in possession. Schweinsteiger was the link between defence and attack, a role he has taken upon himself as he has progressed as a footballer. Khedira often fell into the hole behind Klose, while Ozil dovetailed with Muller on the right hand side with Lahm in support. Podolski found himself with lots of space on the left as a result.

3. Tactical Dunce

Just what was Pim Verbeek thinking with his selection? If you insist on not playing any strikers in your starting 11, then at least persist with a backs to the wall approach. How the Aussies expected to catch Germany on the break without a proven goalscorer up top is beyond me, as is their decision to stick their most influential midfielder in Tim Cahill as a lone forward. Culina offered support on the few occasions Australia threatened, but it was an incredibly flat and uninspiring performance from the Socceroos. Equally as baffling was the decision to stick with an offside trap that clearly wasn’t working, much due to a weary back four with an average age of 32 between them. The scoreline could have been even more embarrassing had it not been for some wasteful finishing from Miroslav Klose, and a couple of questionable offside calls from the referee’s assistant.

4. Cut it out

It was great to see referee Marco Rodriguez not allow any leniency on a couple of shameful dives from Özil and Cacau. With this being the stand out performance from a team in South Africa so far this summer, the majority of players will hopefully have seen that there is no room for simulation this month. Yellow cards have a habit of racking themselves up in these finals, and should Özil or Cacau miss a particularly important game for the Germans later on in the tournament, they’ll have no one to blame but themselves. Tim Cahill may not be so complimentary about the Mexican official however. His straight red card was quite harsh, albeit resulting from a clumsy tackle that summed up a frustrating night for the Everton man. He will now miss Australia’s remaining 2 games, and with that disappears and minuscule hope they had of progressing.

5. Goals! Glorious, glorious goals!

What a relief to finally see a team trounce their opponents this summer. Argentina should have, England could have, but wouldn’t you know it, it was those boring Germans who scored more goals than Groups A, B and C’s respective four teams. This is not a “typical German” team (are you reading Sir Alex Ferguson?), and having been criminally overlooked in the build up to South Africa, Joachim Loew will relish taking his side from unusual underdogs to one of the favourites. It’s Germany. What did you expect, seriously?

Ger-v-Aus-9-Podolski-celeb_2465190.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Outrageous pimping! :D

• Advertisement

3294268287_9ff47a3f40.jpg?v=0

4-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

mike65 wrote: »
    Outrageous pimping! :D

You had the chance to make a Big Pimpin' comment, but you went with Outrageous!? Oh Mike gay.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

So you're basing the " if england " make it out on one game which was last night. Then basing the fact they need to win or they will be going home early playing this german team who also have only played one game.

Super logic! I hope if Chelsea are beaten on the opening day of the season and Blackpool win their first game you put 1+1 together and say Chelsea will be lucky not to concede the title to Blackpool.:D

England were an absolute disaster. They could conceivably only get 4 points from their 2 games and go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

England were an absolute disaster. They could conceivably only get 4 points from their 2 games and go out.

They could conceivably get 1 point and go out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I am very impressed with the German cleavage on this thread :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

4-0

Lena-Meyer-Landrut-Germany-Eurovision.jpg

Keep it on topic please gents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I was very disappointed by the RTE pundits tonight. I in general admire them for entertainment but their lack of research was shocking, including not having a clue who ozil was although he was tipped to be one of the stars of the tournament. Hamann was good but he was clearly influenced by the other pudits as I'm pretty sure he thought the Germans would win. I hope that they but a bit more research into their next few matches because it was fairly embarassing to watch tonight... and this is coming from someone who has been fans of them for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

2 blips 6 and 10 years ago but that aside it's absolutely fantastic. I'm sick I missed the big price on them. But I suppose everybody is an expert in hindsight.

Put €100 on them at 13/1 and was raging when Ballack was injured and the price drifted out to 14/1. Today's match has cheered me up though!

Looks like there is some scope for Aus to appeal the red card. That at least is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

_Bella_ wrote: »
    I was very disappointed by the RTE pundits tonight. I in general admire them for entertainment but their lack of research was shocking, including not having a clue who ozil was although he was tipped to be one of the stars of the tournament. Hamann was good but he was clearly influenced by the other pudits as I'm pretty sure he thought the Germans would win. I hope that they but a bit more research into their next few matches because it was fairly embarassing to watch tonight... and this is coming from someone who has been fans of them for years

I agree. They were absolutely clueless about players who have been on the radar for a couple of years now. Their knowledge really does seem to be limited to the Premier League.

Anyways, match report!

Özil was every bit as good as I expected him to be at a World Cup. Very impressed with Müller, Khedira, Lahm, Schweinsteiger and Podolski as well. A very pretty and effective performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

4-0

Have I said I love boobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

RichTea wrote: »
    I agree. They were absolutely clueless about players who have been on the radar for a couple of years now. Their knowledge really does seem to be limited to the Premier League.

Anyways, match report!

Özil was every bit as good as I expected him to be at a World Cup. Very impressed with Müller, Khedira, Lahm, Schweinsteiger and Podolski as well. A very pretty and effective performance.

Nice write-up on the match. Just a question is 'die Mannschaft' what the team is called in the English speaking countries? Cos we don't call them that. Its 'die Nationalmannschaft'. I know it sounds long and awkward but its not really if you're native and that's what we call them.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Nice write-up on the match. Just a question is 'die Mannschaft' what the team is called in the English speaking countries? Cos we don't call them that. Its 'die Nationalmannschaft'. I know it sounds long and awkward but its not really if you're native and that's what we call them.

Cheers Boskowski. I've done a bit of German in my time :P Of my German friends they mostly seem to alternate between the two. Die Nationalmannschaft does make more sense though. It's probably worth updating the post. Congratulations on a great win today, and on your Nationalmannschaft making me quite smug after fulfilling my predictions on how they'd fare without 'der kleine Kaiser'. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

4-0

I declare this photo efficient.

Well done Germany. They won't win the tournament but at least they're trying to play good football and I hope they go far.

(glad it was the Aussies they bet too!)

bonerm wrote: »
    I declare this photo efficient.

Well done Germany. They won't win the tournament but at least they're trying to play good football and I hope they go far.

(glad it was the Aussies they bet too!)

Thanks, but..why will they not win the tournament? I mean I'm not saying they will. but they might, all I'm thinking is that that's quite a statement. We have reached finals with a lot less than what we have in this squad.

I mean what is it about Germany that makes so many people not rate them? There seems to be some sort of collective amnesia on Germany's record going on every 4 years?!?

Thanks, but..why will they not win the tournament? I mean I'm not saying they will. but they might, all I'm thinking is that that's quite a statement. We have reached finals with a lot less than what we have in this squad.

I mean what is it about Germany that makes so many people not rate them? There seems to be some sort of collective amnesia on Germany's record going on every 4 years?!?

The media don't seem to want to believe that good players exist outside of La Liga and the Premier League. They resort to outdated stereotypes of 'efficient', 'defensive' German teams etc. It happens every four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Unfortunately missed the game tonight lads, how did Ozil play?

Unfortunately missed the game tonight lads, how did Ozil play?

Sensationally. He was at his creative, mesmerising best. Think he might have won MOTM?

Cheers Boskowski. I've done a bit of German in my time :P Of my German friends they mostly seem to alternate between the two. Die Nationalmannschaft does make more sense though. It's probably worth updating the post. Congratulations on a great win today, and on your Nationalmannschaft making me quite smug after fulfilling my predictions on how they'd fare without 'der kleine Kaiser'. :D

Thanks, I'm delighted with the performance myself. They didn't make me eat my words from post #11 on this thread. Thank god.
    Anyway. Nothing done yet, but I'd rather be off to a good start then not. It gives confidence. 4 different people scored which is great. Podolski got MOTM by the way back home. I thought he was excellent and it would not have been easy to pick between himself and Özil. Goalie was convincing in the few situations he had to deal with which is very important for a young fella like him. Cos it's going to get tougher no doubt. Lahm was excellent. So was Schweini and Khedira and Mueller.

All in all very pleased with it.

Lol at the people (Dunphys) who predicted Germany to stumble over Cahill and some fella who plays (sometimes) for Hull. Ffs Germany may not be on a par with Spain or Brazil but it takes a little more than THAT.

Sensationally. He was at his creative, mesmerising best. Think he might have won MOTM?

Ah well that's a bit of a statement, but in fairness its not far from the truth. He was very very good. He showed skill and pace and creativity and intelligence. He was the creative force behind most of Germany good moves. And there was quite a few. I know people are saying it was 'only Australia'. But funny enough it's the same people who predicted Australia will be putting it up to us tonight.
    Anyway. Germany was all over them and was looking very strong in the process. Strong as in quick and creative and with real purpose. I don't care what anyone says but definitely the strongest performance of any team so far (Edit: By quite some margin). Germany has laid a marker that they're here to play. And Özil was the driving force behind that. The tiniest of blemishes were his dive (yellow) and his somewhat lazy flick over Schwartzer that got scratched off the line. If he had scored there that would have been the icing on the cake.

Thanks, I'm delighted with the performance myself. They didn't make me eat my words from post #11 on this thread. Thank god.
    Anyway. Nothing done yet, but I'd rather be off to a good start then not. It gives confidence. 4 different people scored which is great. Podolski got MOTM by the way back home. I thought he was excellent and it would not have been easy to pick between himself and Özil. Goalie was convincing in the few situations he had to deal with which is very important for a young fella like him. Cos it's going to get tougher no doubt. Lahm was excellent. So was Schweini and Khedira and Mueller.

All in all very pleased with it.

Lol at the people (Dunphys) who predicted Germany to stumble over Cahill and some fella who plays (sometimes) for Hull. Ffs Germany may not be on a par with Spain or Brazil but it takes a little more than THAT.

I'd say that a lot of people in Germany were relieved that Podolski and Klose put their horrific Bundesliga form behind them. Is that down to the Jogi Löw or just the prospect of a World Cup finals I wonder?

I was very impressed with young Thomas Müller. He showed glimpses of ability for Bayern throughout the season but to see him nipping about causing havoc and creating chances was very pleasing.

That Under-21 European Championships team looks like it will provide the bulk of Germany's starters for the next decade. That sort of security is rare and,even if Germany don't end up getting to the Semi-Finals and beyond, you would have to say that the future is looking very bright indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What has Eamo got against the ze Germans. Doesn't like them. I wonder what Hamann makes of them.

I heard Eamo on a few radio shows before the world cup, he was tipping Australia as dark horses. The German team made his prediction look very foolish, so in typical Eamo fashion he "gets back" at the Germans by taking the piss out of the team. I'm sure Dunphys comments put a stop to parties across Germany:rolleyes:

Funny, cos the 2 guys on Off the Ball on newstalk were going through the world cup teams (before the world cup) and said Australia don't have a hope. Ok, they could still get out of their group, but not likely, Germany could have scored about 10 more goals in tonights match

• Advertisement

I'd say that a lot of people in Germany were relieved that Podolski and Klose put their horrific Bundesliga form behind them. Is that down to the Jogi Löw or just the prospect of a World Cup finals I wonder?

I couldn't tell you what it is.
    Podolski wasn't exactly horrific but he obviously plays a very different role in Köln. In Köln he is the 'lost son' who didn't get on in Munich so therefore it was possible to buy him back at a great financial stretch for a club in Kölns position. Therefore he is the only player of his caliber there and he is supposed to be playmaker, goalscorer and talisman all rolled into one. That's a tough job me thinks. Here he is amongst equals and the good team spirit plays a role too. So Löw probably plays a role in it.
    Klose has always been petulant with regards to his form curve. Absolutely unpredictable. He seems to have this strange ability to bring it back for the World Cups. But its early yet and he missed a few sitters tonight. Lets not forget that.
    I was very impressed with young Thomas Müller. He showed glimpses of ability for Bayern throughout the season but to see him nipping about causing havoc and creating chances was very pleasing.

Müller was excellent tonight. One must not forget himself and Badstuber are at the end of their first professional season for Bayern and they both have played in a Champions League final. Van Gaal brought them both along from the reserves (although Müller had a squint at Bundesliga footie the year before). Now they're in the World Cup, that's a massive jump and you're obvioulsy a serious talent if you can make that jump.
    That Under-21 European Championships team looks like it will provide the bulk of Germany's starters for the next decade. That sort of security is rare and,even if Germany don't end up getting to the Semi-Finals and beyond, you would have to say that the future is looking very bright indeed.

We needed that badly as we were stuck in a rut in 2002 squad wise. A lot (if not all) of the credit belongs to Joachim Löw. Even in 2006 Klinsmann was more the media frontman while Löw was the actual Nationaltrainer (acting). Löw has formed that team, had the courage to cut a lot of older players out and given new talent the chances they need. I mean not even Hitzlsberger made it and age couldn't have played a role with him.
    I'm not sure how bright the future will be but at least we have something to play with. There's still good players on the bench like Boateng or Kiessling and there is more young fellas who didn't quite make the 23 man squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I couldn't tell you what it is.
    Podolski wasn't exactly horrific but he obviously plays a very different role in Köln. In Köln he is the 'lost son' who didn't get on in Munich so therefore it was possible to buy him back at a great financial stretch for a club in Kölns position. Therefore he is the only player of his caliber there and he is supposed to be playmaker, goalscorer and talisman all rolled into one. That's a tough job me thinks. Here he is amongst equals and the good team spirit plays a role too. So Löw probably plays a role in it.

He also has a reputation for being lazy, not turning up to training and so on. It's possible that's he's just bored of week-in, week-out football, and can only knuckle down when he's with the national team couped up in a training camp, and with the carrot of World Cup glory dangling in front of him.

But yeah, fantastic that both Klose and Podolski got on the score sheet tonight. I was worried for Klose when he missed a few chances in the first half. You could tell he was feeling the pressure already!

Advertisement