Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peoples Photography 2010 - NB deadline for payment is 15th July

• 12-06-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭

I organised the boards places a few years ago and I'm wondering if anyone is interested in taking some spots this year?

If so, please reply to this thread. The cost is €25 for the two days. If you haven't done it before this is your chance. It's great fun over the weekend (provided the weather cooperates).

Mods, can we leave this in the main forum for a while before moving to the photographic exhibitions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

T be nice to be all be in the same area!

Sign me up there.

Now, as a first timer, I do have some questions:
    - How many prints would you usually display?
    - How many of copy of each print would you bring along, would you keep spares?
    - What do people charge?

Also I take it a comfy camping chair is in order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

how would one sign up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Sounds interesting... I'd like to know ow to sign up, too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

For the moment the signup/ payment info is TBA (via FAQ on their site).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I really enjoyed last year, I'm interested in a spot this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

will be out of the country - but might take a spot ....and get someone else to display my stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Might be interested in this, missed it last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Very interested in this. Was away for it last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

count me in, I've been keeping an eye on that website and was waiting for this thread to pop up :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Deffo in and anything I can do to help out too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I'd like to do this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Koyasan

Aye, I just got the previous exhibitor e-mail there this week. The second time I took part I did so through boards, and it was much more enjoyable. If you have space, count me in!

sNarah wrote: »
    Now, as a first timer, I do have some questions:
    - How many prints would you usually display?
    - How many of copy of each print would you bring along, would you keep spares?
    - What do people charge?

Also I take it a comfy camping chair is in order?

Comfy chairs are a fantastic idea. I remember an inflatable blue chair getting more attention that the pictures. Prices ranged a great deal, with some around our section going for €30, €50 or even €80, but they were also the only three sold the entire weekend and people were lucky to break even. I definitely go with the attitude that it's about hanging out and chatting about photos with strangers for a weekend. I suspect that the majority of people sell nothing, but still enjoy it and are happy to have participated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

be very careful putting prices on anything

as technically, you wont have a street traders license and so shouldnt be selling

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

stcstc wrote: »
    be very careful putting prices on anything

as technically, you wont have a street traders license and so shouldnt be selling

Ah Steve that's not really an issue. City elders (or Gardai) don't give a monkey's. But the organisers might, but I wouldn't worry about traders license and the ramifications of plying a bit of trade and getting lagged without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Me me me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Perhaps this is a silly question (in fact I'm sure it is) - but having never done anything like this personally, how good (artistically/photographically) do your photographs need to be? Is there a vetting process?

Sorry for the dumb question!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

have to say it was very good last year. Its great to get your stuff out there for the public to see, no matter what level you think you are at technically. I'll put my name down again, but might not be able to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

After the shenanigans and crack last year you can count me in. It's a great weekend :D

(Note to self - remember Humberklogs marketing technique ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

After the shenanigans and crack last year you can count me in. It's a great weekend :D

(Note to self - remember Humberklogs marketing technique ;))
    Do Share :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did it a few years ago - sold about three prints, and got a week's run in a gallery after a gallery owner passed by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I'll leave this open until the 30th June for the boards places to be confirmed. After that I'll put up details of how payment should be made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Great crack last year. Put me down for this year please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I'm interested but somewhat nervous about saying yes.

Any advice for a first timer, how many prints, how should they mounted or should they be framed, print size etc.

Any suggestions would be very welcome, and if people have time, are there any of my shots on my Flickr that would be worth showing?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Visited last year and it looked good. Put me down and I'll give it a rattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

Anyone nervous about doing this or first timers I recommend trying to share a spot with a fellow boardsie, like the way myself, sNarah and DarrenG are doing.

Personally I think I do not have enough good photos to have a spot to myself... so sharing a spot is be ideal!

EDIT: this year will be my first time also...

DarrenG wrote: »
    I'll leave this open until the 30th June for the boards places to be confirmed. After that I'll put up details of how payment should be made

Have you already made contact with the organisers about block booking some spaces? The e-mail they sent around with how popular it's getting made me a little nervous, so I have to ask.

Koyasan wrote: »
    Have you already made contact with the organisers about block booking some spaces? The e-mail they sent around with how popular it's getting made me a little nervous, so I have to ask.

Yes I've already been in contact and they will hold places for us.

• Advertisement

Yes I've already been in contact and they will hold places for us.

will they hold enough !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Count me in Darren G, artyeva and I are going to share a table :)

Rameire and myself will share a space. (I'll be out of the country)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭rameire

PCPhoto wrote: »
    will be out of the country - but might take a spot ....and get someone else to display my stuff.

Hi,

I'm gonna take a space for me and PCPhoto to share while he's away

Cheers!

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Have that in my diary already for ages.

So yes: Count me in too please! (Hope, I'm not too late)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

count me in too, i would love to do this and it would be a first for me :)
    how do we get in/sign up?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

Count me in please! First time doing it.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

If there is any room left please count me in, first timer too

just been looking over peoples photography threads of old so thought id link them in here for ease of access for other people.
    This will be my first year so was looking for ideas.
    liked Humberklogs idea, unfortunately my selphy doesnt have a portable battery pack appendage.

P F 2008
    P F 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Any room for a (mostly) lurker? I was planning to do it anyway this year, but it be great to be part of a group, and get to know a few people over the weekend.

I've been threatening to exhibit for years, but I've decided this is the year I'm getting my act together.

-Doug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Solarina

Can't wait for this! Last year was deadly, see yous there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Rameire and myself will share a space. (I'll be out of the country)

Hi,
    Just wondering what's the specific point in displaying if you're not going to be there? to try to sell some (even though no license..)
    I might also be interested in this as I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it.
    Cheers,
    Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

just to confirm that i am able to come along this year again... anyone thinking about it should defo do it, its a great opportunity to get your work viewed by the public and they are surprisingly nonjudgmental..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Just watching this again, it reminds me what a pleasant way it is to spend some time!

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering what's the specific point in displaying if you're not going to be there? to try to sell some (even though no license..)
    I might also be interested in this as I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it.
    Cheers,
    Patrick.

I would say the point is to get feedback from the general public on how your pictures/images are percieved, rather than it being about selling the items. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I organised the boards places a few years ago and I'm wondering if anyone is interested in taking some spots this year?

If so, please reply to this thread.

Love to if it's not too late ...

Hugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

rameire wrote: »
    I would say the point is to get feedback from the general public on how your pictures/images are percieved, rather than it being about selling the items. :)

I know, my question was why would someone have pictures there but not be there. Someone else is putting your pictures up for you but I hardly expect that they'll remember all the feedback, comments etc. that people are giving

dinneenp wrote: »
    I know, my question was why would someone have pictures there but not be there. Someone else is putting your pictures up for you but I hardly expect that they'll remember all the feedback, comments etc. that people are giving

PCPhoto is hoping that I have a good memory! :D:D:D

I should be able to make notes if there is any comments made that are worth repeating back to him, good or bad.

Today is your last day to get a place with the boards.ie group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Hats_Off

Count me in pretty please.

Okay the list of people is as follows
    • DarrenG
    • sNarah
    • eightcell
    • dakar
    • m_s_nixon
    • humberklog
    • Eyeblinks
    • Ballyman
    • koyasan
    • sineadw
    • positivenote
    • Buzz Lightyear
    • bravo
    • pullandbang
    • Arciphel
    • artyeva
    • PCPhoto
    • rameire
    • xia
    • zerohamster
    • greener greene
    • dave66
    • Sagastipean
    • Hugh_C
    • Hats_Off
    • swingking
    • shepthedog
    • kittykrazy

If your name is not on the list then you had expressed an interest but not confirmed it or I missed you. Please let me know urgently if you want to be added or removed. I will update with payment details later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement