Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peoples Photography 2010 - NB deadline for payment is 15th July

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Here are the spaces for us at Peoples Photography

303 Sagastipean
    304 zerohamster
    305 shepthedog
    306 xia
    307 sineadw
    308 Buzz Lightyear
    309 ShaneM
    310-311 DarrenG / sNarah / Eightcell
    312 pullandbang
    313 humberklog
    314 elven
    315 Eyeblinks
    316 stcstc
    317 dave66
    318 kittykrazy
    319 greener greene
    320 Arciphel / artyeva
    321 PCPhoto / rameire
    322 m_s_nixon
    323 positive note
    324 bravo
    325 Trizo
    326 Vickstar79

1 space free as Trooney pulled out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Really wish I was involved with this but it'll have to wait until next year. Right you lot, when is this on and how will anyone recognize the Boardsies there?? I must pop along when it's on to have a goo at what everyone has done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Really wish I was involved with this but it'll have to wait until next year. Right you lot, when is this on and how will anyone recognize the Boardsies there?? I must pop along when it's on to have a goo at what everyone has done.

http://www.peoples-photography.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

It's on 28th and 29th August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

DarrenG wrote: »

1 space free as Trooney pulled out

You could still join us. Come on, you know you want to!

• Advertisement

I'd love too but I'm not sure I could spare the dosh at the moment as we're looking to buy a house at the moment, so every penny counts right now. What is this costing folk on average taking the fee into account, printing, mounting etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

I'd love too but I'm not sure I could spare the dosh at the moment as we're looking to buy a house at the moment, so every penny counts right now. What is this costing folk on average taking the fee into account, printing, mounting etc.

I've already paid the fee so you can have my spot for no cost.

trooney wrote: »

Well thanks very much trooney, that's very generous of you. It might be better taken by someone else though- I'm not prepared at all, I haven't been keeping up with all the goings on as I hadn't been planning on taking part. I guess I should read up the whole of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I would love to take the spot-and obviously pay for it at the same time! It seems like it will be a great learning experience-plus help a great cause!

EDIT-As I am and will be out of the country for the month of August (I was going to get my Sister to help out) I was thinking, if anyone else would like this opportunity instead of me then go ahead. After all this experience is more about feedback then selling photos. But please keep me in mind if noone else wants it!:D Just trying to be nice!

trooney wrote: »
    Well thanks very much trooney, that's very generous of you. It might be better taken by someone else though- I'm not prepared at all, I haven't been keeping up with all the goings on as I hadn't been planning on taking part. I guess I should read up the whole of this thread.

Well as trooney is giving you the slot for free (very kind gesture) you are really looking at the costs of printing and mounting.

How much you spend on it, is fairly controllable as you can decide how many and what size prints to have. I went off the deep end (under pressure from wife) and got far too many prints done. I got 27 in total, 6 will be in two triptychs, leaving 21 others, as I say too many. I'm going to mount and display about 12-15 I think.

The width of the slot is about 8 feet, so you can work out how many shots you would want to put within your slot.

I have never done anything remotely like this before and I excited & nervous in equal measure, but all-in-all I' delighted I took the plunge and I'll get to meet some of the folks from boards.

So for I say, even if it's only 2-3 prints, what the hel1!

I got my printing done my stcstc (www.360-dpi.com) and was very pleased. He can print and mount for you.

• Advertisement

Well thanks for that reply Dave, that was a very informative post. However chicken_food above is willing to pay for Trooney's place so it would best be filled by him/her. Trooney doesn't lose any money and chicken_food gets a place at the event. A win win for both of them.

Bump!

No more takers for Soho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i'm not the most decisive person so i might well decide to go on the day :o

do you need to book exact numbers now, yeah?

No not really. Just want to give them a heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Fingers crossed that this actually comes to pass. It's still a *long* way out, but at least there's hope! (H means no rain, Red means warm!)

weather.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Phew..thought it was this weekend.

Ok unfortunately Soho is in the process of redevelop and is moving into Dylan Magraths hands so I can well imagine that the previous excellent value is no longer going to be available.

Anyone any other suggestions? Market Bar perhaps?

humberklog wrote: »
    Phew..thought it was this weekend.

Ok unfortunately Soho is in the process of redevelop and is moving into Dylan Magraths hands so I can well imagine that the previous excellent value is no longer going to be available.

Anyone any other suggestions? Market Bar perhaps?

I have very little experience with dining in the city center so will go along with whatever is decided, had a look at Market Bar site and it looks good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ah i feckin hate the market bar.. One vote I know though.. Someone mentioned Bull and Castle? We can all sneak off for a burdocks from there too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

I haven't told the guys organising the exhibition that I'll be sharing my spot with another person. Should I let them know or does it make any difference at all?

Looking forward to meeting you all btw! :D

I wouldn't think it would make any difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

The last time i was in the bull & castle for food i had steak pie which was more like beef in water than gravy :(

Any other group friendly pub grub type places?

elven wrote: »
    The last time i was in the bull & castle for food i had steak pie which was more like beef in water than gravy :(

Any other group friendly pub grub type places?

It's unlikely that we'll come up with a place that makes everyone happy. The point is getting together for a meal, so I'm happy to go wherever the person taking the time to organise it deems acceptable :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

I tend to like the market bar but once you get a group of more than 6 they add on 10 or 15%, and NO they WON'T split the bill for you!

I don't really have much experience of places over that side of the city. :(

Can I suggest with ask the question on Twitter, i.e. - Does anybody know of a good restaurant the can seat 20 people in South Dublin City - sure to get some responses, maybe even from the restaurants.

Just my thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I haven't told the guys organising the exhibition that I'll be sharing my spot with another person. Should I let them know or does it make any difference at all?

Looking forward to meeting you all btw! :D
    I wouldn't think it would make any difference

Nope it doesn't matter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I was saying to Darren last night - the idea of a full blown meal for so many makes me nervous, especially as not many places split the bill. I've just finished reading the Hitchhikers series again though so I know my fear of Bistromatics is strong right now.

One thing about Bull and Castle - upstairs they do platters fairly cheap. And they're quite nice.

Yeah surely it doesn't have to be a big sit down job. A pub doing grub for those that want. But The Bull and Cast. isn't a good pub imo.

4fade street? Good smoking section for those that do partake. Food's good for those that want (about a tenner a dish) and a pint comes in at 4.50.

Oh, oh, oh...Purty Kitchen in Temp Bar does food and sell Paulaner and Heineken for 3.50. It's big and roomy and generally there's plenty of space about that time.

Where is 4fade street?

Where is 4fade street?

The clue is in the name:D.

Across the road from Market Bar.

I was thinking that but wanted to be sure :D

What about the church? It's a bit of a walk though

• Advertisement

Not a pub but I highly recommend The Millstone (opposite the Central Bank). Reasonably priced and the food is amazing. Dunno if it's of any use to you lot though.

So it looks like it will be pub grub. We can decide on the day how many want to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Anybody seen a logo for Peoples Photography. My brother has a blank display like this one http://twitpic.com/2g8yy4 for us to put at the corner of the green. Previous years have proven that people are reluctant to go around the corner of the Shelbourne when they see the entrance there to the Green. They seem to think the exhibition stops at the Shelbourne.

If you can point me to a logo - my brother is going to do the sign for me tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

I won't be able to make this now so I'm going to hand back my spot, it's paid for and all so maybe it can go to someone who's on a waiting list or can be divided between a couple of people looking for a bit more space, I'll leave it to Darren's discretion.

Darren, cheers for organising, sorry i can't make it, hope to be there next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭rameire

Really looking forward to this :D Cant wait to meet you all! :pac:

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

omg this is soooooooo close

i keep agreeing to do other peoples stuff, aint got half mine ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Luckily I finally got my prints sorted. Mounts are ready as well. So what's left to be done is attaching pics to mounts. I can almost relax now:cool:

m_s_nixon wrote: »
    I won't be able to make this now so I'm going to hand back my spot, it's paid for and all so maybe it can go to someone who's on a waiting list or can be divided between a couple of people looking for a bit more space, I'll leave it to Darren's discretion.

Darren, cheers for organising, sorry i can't make it, hope to be there next year :)

No problem. A shame you can't make. I found another boards person to take the spot. I'll mention to them about maybe paying you for the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Really looking forward to this now.. What way are people thinking of attaching their prints to the railings this year?

Feck you all- I went to the Green thinking it was today. Jeremy please ignore my call wondering where the hell you all were.

shepthedog wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this now.. What way are people thinking of attaching their prints to the railings this year?

Yeah, I'm facing the same dilemma. I have a number of mounted prints which are unframed, and I'm not sure how to hang them. Someone suggested blu-tack, but I'm just not sure it'll hold. I'm planning to go with some thin boards cable-tied to the railings to hang the framed prints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ShaneM

They had some type of Peoples Painting [painting instead of photography] on today. Didn't get to pop over for a look as was with a group of people.

Really looking forward to next weekend now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

Blu-tac or string/cable ties are fine. Remember dont damage the railings so no wire, sticky tabs or tape please. I've used garden netting but it takes a bit of time to get everything up. The best I've seen was strips of material on which the prints are pre hung so when the guy showed up he just took the photos out of a box and tied the material onto the top of the railings in 2 minutes.

Dont forget to look at the Rules.

Thanks,
    Declan

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Feck you all- I went to the Green thinking it was today. Jeremy please ignore my call wondering where the hell you all were.
    :D:D The "pics" there this weekend were all done at really really slow shutter speeds!

:D:D The "pics" there this weekend were all done at really really slow shutter speeds!

And an awful lot of paintshop pro by the look of them ;)

By now you should have all your photos printed, mounted and framed (if you are framing). You'll should also have your netting, string, bluetack, pegs/clips and are feeling relaxed about this weekend. If you are, you deserve a pat on the back.

I'm not even close to having anything ready :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

OMG its THIS weekend

i still havent done everyone elses stuff never mind mine!!!

decsramble wrote: »
    Blu-tac or string/cable ties are fine. Remember dont damage the railings so no wire, sticky tabs or tape please. I've used garden netting but it takes a bit of time to get everything up. The best I've seen was strips of material on which the prints are pre hung so when the guy showed up he just took the photos out of a box and tied the material onto the top of the railings in 2 minutes.

Dont forget to look at the Rules.

Thanks,
    Declan

The rules you emailed around mention no "structures", although it's not quite clear what's meant by that. Will I be OK with my thin strips of wood cable-tied to the railings?

The rules you emailed around mention no "structures", although it's not quite clear what's meant by that. Will I be OK with my thin strips of wood cable-tied to the railings?

Yeah that should be fine. The rule is meant to stop people showing up with large wooden structures that go above the top of the railings. We dont want to ruin anyones day and we will be sensible and reasonable but we've had cases where people showed up put up big frames and had the whole lot come down in a gust of wind. No one has been injured but once there was glass everywhere from smashed frames. Last year a guy put up big planks of wood and one of the organisers put one hand on it to check it was secure and the thing just came off the railings. That had to be replaced cause if it fell on someone there would have been serious grief. If your strips of wood are secure, dont damage the railings or block the footpath and wont hurt someone you should be ok.

Instead of going to a pub/restaurant for food on Saturday we are going to have a picnic in St Stephens Green. All are very welcome to come along. Let's hope the weather is kind to us.

decsramble wrote: »
    If your strips of wood are secure, dont damage the railings or block the footpath and wont hurt someone you should be ok.

Thanks for the clarification!

• Advertisement
Advertisement