Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Quinn rejects catholics who want to follow 'failed liberal protestantism'

• 13-06-2010 6:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

once again i hear this new phrase at a dublin RC church
    'Gods family his church'
    which contradicts the cathecism that God created every person on the planet - every person on the planet is subject to God's love not roman catholics...everyone

observe the view of Crosscare (Archdiocese of Dublin)
    'Ethos and Values
    Crosscare’s ethos is based on the principle that every person is created in the image and likeness of God. This places responsibility on us in Crosscare to work to the highest possible standards while treating every person who uses our services and who works for and with us, with the utmost respect, courtesy and love.'

weeks later I find myself astonished at David Quinn's aggressive article that led to his Grace Archbishop Martin making his 'strong forces' speech.

David Quinn rejects catholics who want to follow 'failed liberal protestantism'

President Obama became the President of the strongest Christian Country in history by speaking plainly about his healthy modern christianity best summarised by every dollar bill: 'in God we trust'

not the cleric on the alter...God, his son and the holy spirit within us all

I come from the Irish Catholic rural tradition...the deep south..but am now a European Christian

'we must turn to Jesus' Archbishop martin

'be not overcome by bad choices but overcome bad choices with good choices' ...St Paul, letters to the Romans

if you support Archbishop Martin's reforming approach ..email him and let him know, he is under attack - support him

communications@dublindiocese.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

moonpurple wrote: »
    once again i hear this new phrase at a dublin RC church
    'Gods family his church'
    which contradicts the cathecism that God created every person on the planet - every person on the planet is subject to God's love not roman catholics...everyone

observe the view of Crosscare (Archdiocese of Dublin)
    'Ethos and Values
    Crosscare’s ethos is based on the principle that every person is created in the image and likeness of God. This places responsibility on us in Crosscare to work to the highest possible standards while treating every person who uses our services and who works for and with us, with the utmost respect, courtesy and love.'

Leaving aside Quinn - I see no contradiction between the idea of the Church being God's family and also Crosscare's assertion that God created everyone and that we should therefore treat everyone with dignity and respect.

While it is obviously true that God has created all men, it is entirely biblical to see the Church as being the family of God. Those outside the Church, according to Scripture, are alienated from God and outside the family.

Where I see the problem, of course as a non-Catholic, is when people equate the Roman Catholic denomination with God's Church. While the RCC includes some of the Church, there are plenty of the Church outside of the RCC, and some of those within the RCC are obviously not part of the true Church.

I'm reminded of the old story about a drunk man staggering up to Billy Graham and saying, "I'm one of your converts!". Billy replied, "You might be one of my converts, but you certainly aren't one of the Lord's converts!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Which article was this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭smurfhousing

Jakkass wrote: »
    Which article was this?

This one: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/david-quinn-ignore-critics-church-must-be-true-to-teachings-2004600.html

Moonpurple: I think you've misunderstood the Catechism, Archbishop Martin and David Quinn.

All people were created and are loved by God, and God desires them all to belong to His Church, which is the Body of Christ, and the Family of God.

The Family of God as a name for the Church is to be found in the Catechism:
    854 By her very mission, "the Church . . . travels the same journey as all humanity and shares the same earthly lot with the world: she is to be a leaven and, as it were, the soul of human society in its renewal by Christ and transformation into the family of God." Missionary endeavor requires patience. It begins with the proclamation of the Gospel to peoples and groups who do not yet believe in Christ, continues with the establishment of Christian communities that are "a sign of God's presence in the world," and leads to the foundation of local churches. It must involve a process of inculturation if the Gospel is to take flesh in each people's culture. There will be times of defeat. "With regard to individuals, groups, and peoples it is only by degrees that [the Church] touches and penetrates them and so receives them into a fullness which is Catholic."

If you can belong to the Family of God, you could depart from it, for example through unrepentant mortal sin.

And again:
    1655 Christ chose to be born and grow up in the bosom of the holy family of Joseph and Mary. The Church is nothing other than "the family of God." From the beginning, the core of the Church was often constituted by those who had become believers "together with all [their] household." When they were converted, they desired that "their whole household" should also be saved. These families who became believers were islands of Christian life in an unbelieving world.

See: http://ccc.scborromeo.org.master.com/texis/master/search/?sufs=0&q=family+of+god&xsubmit=Search&s=SS

The Church as the Family of God is official Church teaching. What exactly is the problem here?

Advertisement