Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper 2 Proofs (HL)

• 13-06-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

In my revision book it has a list of the proofs at the front and it says:

Tangent Theorem
    Angle Between Two Lines Formula
    Perpendicular Distance Formula
    Difference Equation Theorem

Yet I heard someone mention that we need to know the Cosine Rule as well? :confused: Are there any other proofs not listed here that I need to know?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Killio9

well there are the trig proofs arent there? Cos(a+b) cos (A-B) that sorta thing? thinkin cosine rule is in there with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shi7zman

the cos(A-B) is not on syllabus but the cos(A+B) is. along with that there are 11 other trig proofs. most are simple enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

To prove Cos(A+B) you need to first prove Cos(A-B) and replace the B with -B. Similarly, for Sin you replace the A with 90-A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Forgot about the trig proofs/identities but sure. Anything else other than that? Looks like I better get studying...

To prove Cos(A+B) you need to first prove Cos(A-B) and replace the B with -B. Similarly, for Sin you replace the A with 90-A

They wont ask to prove cos(A-B), so if you are told to prove A+B you can just take A-B from the tables

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

shi7zman wrote: »
    They wont ask to prove cos(A-B), so if you are told to prove A+B you can just take A-B from the tables

Then why is there that proof in the book with the unit circle, and getting the distance twice??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Then why is there that proof in the book with the unit circle, and getting the distance twice??

It came up at a marking conference recently and we don't need to know the first part. My teacher said you didn't have to do that part, that you can just start from Cos(A-B) and get full marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

What's the tangent theorem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

prove that xx1 + yy1 = r^2 is a tangent to the circle x^2 + y^2 = r^2 at (x1,y1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

Oh yeah, I know that. Thanks.

• Advertisement

It came up at a marking conference recently and we don't need to know the first part. My teacher said you didn't have to do that part, that you can just start from Cos(A-B) and get full marks.
    Well that's excellent :D
    The circle one: xx1 + yy1 = r^2 or something similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Whole day cramming session for this paper starts at 12 for me. Haven't done a tap on paper 2 in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Well that's excellent :D

It is indeed! Atleast it cuts down on a bit of the work.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Whole day cramming session for this paper starts at 12 for me. Haven't done a tap on paper 2 in ages.

I've been up since 8 just doing maths, I really don't like Paper 2 so it's going to be a hard day : (

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

That is not allowed.

The identities are taken in the order that they appear in the syllabus. You're allowed to assume any of the formulae that come before the one you're trying to prove, but you're not allowed to use any of the ones that come after it (or ones that aren't on the list at all).

The syllabus is on the Dept. of Education's website. Here it is:
    http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_maths_sy.pdf?language=EN
    You need to be able to prove formulae 1 to 12 in the appendix on page 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Scoobydooo

I know for certain proofs on paper II there's easier versions of the proofs available than the ones in our book, does anyone have a link to any of these ?

Scoobydooo wrote: »
    I know for certain proofs on paper II there's easier versions of the proofs available than the ones in our book, does anyone have a link to any of these ?

theres a good version of them on www.cnocmhuiregranard.ie/proofs.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

theres a good version of them on www.cnocmhuiregranard.ie/proofs.pdf

Ah that's perfect

Advertisement