Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artic warming to cause colder winters in Europe

Options
  • 13-06-2010 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭

Another theory to add to the pile,

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100611093710.htm

Seems sort of counterintuitive that "warmer" weather up north could lead to colder down here, but I suppose if circulation patterns are changed then anything is possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

nilhg wrote: »
    Another theory to add to the pile,

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100611093710.htm

Seems sort of counterintuitive that "warmer" weather up north could lead to colder down here, but I suppose if circulation patterns are changed then anything is possible.
    "The exceptional cold and snowy winter of 2009-2010 in Europe, eastern Asia and eastern North America is connected to unique physical processes in the Arctic".

I wonder does this "unique physical process" explain previous cold winters in the NH? :confused:

I think this is just another attempt by climate scientists to throw somesort of reasoning on everyday weather. We had a cool winter, which was down to nothing more than basic synoptics. If last winter was mild and dry, this would have been further evidence of a warming world. Had it been warm and wet, this also would be seen as proof. Had it been an average winter, this of course would be ultimate proof that man was influencing the climate.

In other words, anything that happens with the weather now, no matter what it is, is down to climate change. Weather is now climate it seems..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

thanks for the article post.

Is the melting icecap (fresh water) having an influence on the gulf stream, which keeps our winters mild?

If el nino can affect our weather why not a dilution of the gulf stream effect on our weather patterns.

Better stock up on home heating oil now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm a bit skeptical too, this seems to fall into the category of "we can explain everything based on global warming" and is after all the exact opposite of what the warmistas were predicting in 2007 (you'll never see another cold winter, it will never snow again, blah blah).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I'm a bit skeptical too, this seems to fall into the category of "we can explain everything based on global warming" and is after all the exact opposite of what the warmistas were predicting in 2007 (you'll never see another cold winter, it will never snow again, blah blah).

Which was for the jet stream to shift northwards, which does not tie in with increased northern blocking in winter. I think this is just another case of goal posts being widened again to encompass as much scenarios as possible to increase the probability of being proved right.

Advertisement