Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do people prefer to bring one or many lenses for holidays

• 13-06-2010 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I've been thinking should I bring all my lenses or just two with me for my holiday. What are people's views on it? I'm thinking my 35mm f/2 and my 10-20mm are the lenses to bring with me. I also have a 50mm f/1.8 and the standard kit lens that came with the 1000d.

The last holiday I went on, I only brought the 10-20mm with me. I'm thinking should I be lazy again? I could always buy a new lens while I'm away as well :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Last time, I brought 3 lenses with me. But, next time, I'll only bring 2. I'll bring the 16-35mm and 70-200mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

The 50mm F1.8 would weight nothing so i would add that to the travel bag. I would love to bring all of my lenses on holidays but i normal bring the following,

Canon 5D
    Canon 17-40
    Canon 70-200
    Canon 1.4X Converter
    Filters.

It depends on what type of photography you are into, i love nature/wildlife and hence the 70-200 plus converter. I would hate to be there, and see something different , and not have the arsenal to capture it. Sometimes you do, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Thats about it, but i also get reminded that this is "Not a Photographers Holiday"

I like to think the best thing to do is cover as many focal lenghts as you can.

For example, if i had a 10-100 lens and a 100-500, I'd bring both. If i had those two, but also a 10-500, I'd just bring that.

That said, if you are intending to make photography a big part of your holiday (and not just wanting snapshots and the likes of you in front of things) then I'd bring everything. I'd rather not have to think "I wish i had my ____ lens with me".

But that's just me, personally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it a city break, or are you out the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jtang

Well I'm going to tokyo for 10days and will be mostly in the city and indoors at museums and stuff, which is why I would prefer the 35mm. Prior to getting a DSLR I used to just use film with a 24mm and 50mm prime, which I almost always just travelled with the 24mm prime. So I'm just curious as to what other casual dslr users might do/use when they are on holidays.

Just because I have a camera doesn't make me a photographer ;) I just like to take nice snapshots most of the times. The big thing is I like walking up close to things to take pictures, so I don't have any telephoto lenses at all as result of my habits. If I see a lens I like in Akihabara I will probably pick one up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

The most used lens in my kit is a 18-200 it is on the camera 90% of the time and is perfect for holidays, not a huge lens but gives me a fairly wide angle and has the reach of a 200mm....perfect!

Not an overly expensive lens either, I am sure you would pick one up in Tokyo even cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

In the past I have brought everything I could possibly need or want with me. Got tired of lugging all that around, and on my last holiday (a week ago in Portugal) I just brought a 18-105mm and 50mm 1.8. It wasn't a photo trip primarily and I could count on LOTS of daytime sun so no need for fast (2.8) glass.

For me weight was the big concern (Wife always seems to find thing that we HAVE TO HAVE with us all day and they always too big for her purse. ;) )

My photo pack list was:

Nikon D90
    18-105mm
    50mm
    Holga (with 35mm film in)
    Canon A620 (P&S)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I'm going away soon and I'll probably just bring 18-200, 16-35 and 50 1.8. In the past I have brought loads of stuff but half of it didn't even get taken out of the bag.

seems to me the 18-200/18-105 (in that range) sounds like a good holiday lens to bring with me if i had one. I must make note of it and checkout prices, it's what 200-300euro for a sigma version? a 18-200 would give me what? roughly 28-320mm on my sensor, considering how much experience I have with telephoto's what's that in terms of distance if I wanted to take a snapshot at 320mm if I wanted a portrait shot of someone/something? Now I'm just getting tempted to buy more stuff while I'm away!

my packing list also includes my lx3 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

When I go to Blackpool for my Punk Festival in a few months I will have to see what lens of mine make the final cut...
    I'd love all but the weight and drink/occassion pose problems.

I am def bringing the 70-200L IS f/4 as flash is allowed so I don't need the 2.8 version.
    But I'm torn between the 16-35L II and the 24-70L, the former will be when I'm at the largest stage in the pit but I'd prefer the latter for my walk round lens...

Guess I will then decide between the 85 1.8 and 50 1.4 as my 3rd 'light' lens to bring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's a city break, i wouldn't leave without a fast prime - especially if there are going to be indoor shots. plenty of call for shallow DOF in urban photography too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

it depends on what you're willing to carry around.
    I went to Philly two weeks back and, as usual, left packing until the last minute. I just grabbed my camera bag running out the door (which had the six lenses from a previous game I covered) and headed for the airport. It wasn't until I saw what that bag weighed on the airport scales, that I realised I should have taken five minutes to ditch some of it.
    It's all well and good bringing everything, but only if you're willing to carry it around.

While I was there, I realised I should have just bought an 18-200 as the only time I wasn't using a 17-35, was when I used the 70-200 at a native American festival. I'd have lost the 2.8 end, but I'd also have ditched a ton of weight and would have fit the whole thing into a tidy Slingshot, instead of the big pack I was forced to use.

I'm thinking I may have to invest in one for the next time, bringing just it and a prime or two with my D200.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Bring one lens - whatever it is then you don't have any more decisions to make. If weight is an issue, then 50mm f1.8 is the bees knees. If you need to zoom out on your subject - step back a few paces and if you need to get closer - then walk up to it :)

If it's a city break, I'd bring something wide. I'd bring my 16-35mm if I was stuck with a single lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

+1 for a wide angle and your 50mm. not to much to be lugging around with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Bring a memory card and rent a camera there. Least you wont have to worry about your own kit being robbed or stolen ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

stabo wrote: »
    +1 for a wide angle and your 50mm. not to much to be lugging around with that.

+ one more. I take 50mm 1.7 & 10-20mm sigma.

Crispin wrote: »
    + one more. I take 50mm 1.7 & 10-20mm sigma.

you guys own cropped sensors or a full frame? I think this strategy is gonna be the one im adopting, the 10-20 and one of the primes that i have.

1.3 crop sensor, so love my 16-35mm on it.

jtang wrote: »
    you guys own cropped sensors or a full frame? I think this strategy is gonna be the one im adopting, the 10-20 and one of the primes that i have.

1.5 crop. So 75mm & 15-30mm equivalent. Does most things i want from a holiday. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Well I'm going to tokyo for 10days and will be mostly in the city and indoors at museums and stuff, which is why I would prefer the 35mm. Prior to getting a DSLR I used to just use film with a 24mm and 50mm prime, which I almost always just travelled with the 24mm prime. So I'm just curious as to what other casual dslr users might do/use when they are on holidays.

Just because I have a camera doesn't make me a photographer ;) I just like to take nice snapshots most of the times. The big thing is I like walking up close to things to take pictures, so I don't have any telephoto lenses at all as result of my habits. If I see a lens I like in Akihabara I will probably pick one up.

With the current weakness of the euro/strength of the yen you won't get any bargains in Akihabara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

planning on going to USA this summer:

so far planning on taking:
    5D and underwater housing and strobe
    1D mk IV
    7D
    580ex mkII
    580ex mkI
    16-35mm f2.8 mkII
    24-70mm f2.8
    70-200mm f2.8
    20mm
    if I can find one before we go.... 14mm lens
    Hasselblad H1 50mm and 80mm lens + Film back (if I can afford it before we go... digital back for the H1)

and the obligatory.... chargers/batteries, laptop, cables, tripod, gorillapod etc etc

might include some more lenses...also planning on renting some gear while travelling.

super holiday planned: Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, Alcatraz, Hawaii, Vegas and New York .... in 3 weeks

PCPhoto wrote: »
    super holiday planned: Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, Alcatraz, Hawaii, Vegas and New York .... in 3 weeks

3 weeks? For all that, with that gear?? Ouch.

I had 3 weeks in Hawaii this year, and have been to Grand Canyon, Alcatraz (San Francisco) and Vegas before. Loads and loads to photograph. I'd nearly spend 3 weeks in each location. :D

I'm sure you'll enjoy the wide variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JuliePhotoArt

I usually take 24-70 as a universal lens and 50 for portrait/street photography.

planning on going to USA this summer:

so far planning on taking:
    5D and underwater housing and strobe
    1D mk IV
    7D
    580ex mkII
    580ex mkI
    16-35mm f2.8 mkII
    24-70mm f2.8
    70-200mm f2.8
    20mm
    if I can find one before we go.... 14mm lens
    Hasselblad H1 50mm and 80mm lens + Film back (if I can afford it before we go... digital back for the H1)

and the obligatory.... chargers/batteries, laptop, cables, tripod, gorillapod etc etc

might include some more lenses...also planning on renting some gear while travelling.

show off :rolleyes::P

you dont wanna see the full list of stuff ...lol (have doubles and triples of some "L" series lenses)

planning on doing loads of different types of pics - from landscapes, underwater and just general point and shoot.... so figure I need to bring a fair amount of stuff - have most of my shots planned already, 2-3 days in each city except New York and Hawaii (jumping between Maui and Hawaii)....couple of helicopter tours planned...and if finances(the bank) allows... a submarine tour !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I'll be in San Fran, Mexico and NY over the course of 3 weeks after Christmas (no summer holiday for me this year :(). I plan to take my Canon 40d with 2 speedlites and my 85mm F1.8. I'll also bring my sigma 18-50mm f2.8 unless I buy a sigma 30mm F1.4 in the mean time.....which being honest I probably will.
    I'd leave the 18-50mm at home then and see if i've room for the sigma 10-20mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Is your itinerary really in that order? seems like a lot of unnecessary travelling, especially with that much gear :D

I have kids so loads of camera gear on holidays in a no-no. I just bring the Canon G9.

you dont wanna see the full list of stuff ...lol (have doubles and triples of some "L" series lenses)

planning on doing loads of different types of pics - from landscapes, underwater and just general point and shoot.... so figure I need to bring a fair amount of stuff - have most of my shots planned already, 2-3 days in each city except New York and Hawaii (jumping between Maui and Hawaii)....couple of helicopter tours planned...and if finances(the bank) allows... a submarine tour !!!

Hey PC,

I did the Maui Submarine tour about 3 years ago. It's fun but not much photographically speaking. It's mostly just for the experience of being in a (Small) sub. The mian sight they take you to, is a boat/ship that was sunk intentionally to attract fish (like a reef).

If you have part of a free day I would recommend the Maui aquarium, has some unique features and provides a respite from the sun for a hour or two.

On Big Island (Hawaii) I desperately still wish I had been able to take a heli-tour. It was impossible to get to the good part the volcano when I was there without it.

Cheers

• Advertisement

cambo ...itenerary is:

Toronto (Niagra), San Fran (Alcatraz), LA, Vegas, Hawaii.....New York - and home

Helicopter tour over:
    Niagra
    Grand Canyon/Hoover Dam
    Hawaii National Volcano Park and maybe another heli tour
    New York

Hoping to get some scuba and snorkling in during time in Hawaii/Maui.....planning swimming with sharks/turtles and fishes (and taking photos of course)

action packed adventure holiday - with a few days to relax (well... she can relax I wont !!)

Slidinginfinity - do you recommend the submarine tour ?

I can't say the Maui one is worth the money.

For us it was good as neither one of us snorkle or scuba and was the only real way to get below the surface. But, I would say skip it and get another heli-tour or if the whales are in take a whale watching boat trip. I wished I had a decent camera with me on ours. Only had a mid-range Canon P&S.

If it was cool for me as I had always wanted to be in a sub, but it's just sitting on a hard carpet-cover metal bench with 30-40 other tourist hoping the water is clear.

This is my favorite shot from the sub tour, and it's from the boat that takes you to the sub.

39E4EC7E54584B6F8C96C72555A5C6A2-800.jpg

PS - I'll see if I can find a shot or 2 from inside the sub and send them on to you, let you judge for your self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I am in a bit of a state over this, I am going to south Africa + Namibia this OCtober, im wondering whether to take all my gear.

5dMKII
    15mm fisheye
    17-40 f4L
    24-70 F2.8L
    70-200 IS f2.8L
    100-400L
    50 f1.4

I'm thinking of just taking the 50 f1.4,17-40,24-70 + 100-400 ...

cambo ...itenerary is:

Helicopter tour over:
    Hawaii National Volcano Park and maybe another heli tour

One helicopter tour is enough. The volcano area is actually very quiet this year. The majority of lava is actually under the sea, forming a new island.

If you want to go whale watching on the Big Island, then go see these guys. Casey is a great laugh and knows his whales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I went to Prague a few years ago and took a Canon 30d with a Sigma 10-20 and 30mm f1.4. Would have liked to take more but that fit in a really small bag, worked out very well apart from anything to far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I'll be travelling around Peru, Bolivia and Chile this summer. In my bag will be
    • Nikon D40
    • Sigma 18-200 (walking around)
    • Sigma 10-20mm (landscape)
    • Nikkor 35mm. (night time/indoors)

I'd imagine the 18-200 will stay on as it usually does... but the 10-20 and 35mm give great options. I couldn't really see leaving any of them at home.

• Advertisement

hmm well, im packed and good to go to get my flight, it turned out that i didnt have much space left anyway so its just the 10-20mm and 35mm prime thats gonna travel with me. photos to follow in a few weeks time.

I can't say the Maui one is worth the money.

For us it was good as neither one of us snorkle or scuba and was the only real way to get below the surface. But, I would say skip it and get another heli-tour or if the whales are in take a whale watching boat trip. I wished I had a decent camera with me on ours. Only had a mid-range Canon P&S.

If it was cool for me as I had always wanted to be in a sub, but it's just sitting on a hard carpet-cover metal bench with 30-40 other tourist hoping the water is clear.

This is my favorite shot from the sub tour, and it's from the boat that takes you to the sub.

PS - I'll see if I can find a shot or 2 from inside the sub and send them on to you, let you judge for your self.

Looks like something from Lost!! :) great shot

hmm well, im packed and good to go to get my flight, it turned out that i didnt have much space left anyway so its just the 10-20mm and 35mm prime thats gonna travel with me. photos to follow in a few weeks time.

Have fun, good choice too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm on holidays at the moment, one week in Paris and now Poland. I brought a Pentax K7 and an ME Super. With those I brought the 18-55mm kit lens for the K7 as it's weather resistant, the Sigma 70-300mm, an old 30-70mm macro lens and the nifty fifty as well as various accessories.

I neglected to take anything else to entertain myself and currently everyone is just lying about doing nothing as the weather is too hot to do anything. Boo. :(

Here is one from inside the sub. There a a few more in the same album on pix.ie. :)

024524AE411D4332B3A3962CC7BAC2A1-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

My last couple of trips I've tended to just bring one lens.

Paris with a 35mm F2

Hiking in Spain with a 45mm F2

Barcelona with a 50mm

Sure I might "miss" some photos, but it's giving me much better discipline in terms of framing.

I neglected to take anything else to entertain myself and currently everyone is just lying about doing nothing as the weather is too hot to do anything. Boo. :(

There only thing to do in that kind of heat is find beer garden or build a personal one. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There only thing to do in that kind of heat is find beer garden or build a personal one. :D

Heh I might just pop down to the pub later with her Dad- conversation could be kind of limited though. Everyone here has really nice gardens though so getting a few, popping them in the fridge for later is a good idea. Beer is ridiculously cheap from as low as 50c per bottle to about €1.10 for a bottle of Desperado... yum.

back now, not quite finish sorting through the ~1k photos that was taken, but here's a video i took with my lx3 at the Tsukiji fish market (was there at 5:30am in the morning for this) anyway

not exactly a photo. I also ended up picking up a lensbaby half way through my trip and found that i had too much choice :P i guess i will post a few snaps on the random photo thread as soon as i sort through them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

I have come to the conclusion that for me anyway, bringing a dSLR and a load of lenses on a family holiday never really works the way I would like. If I was going on a photographic holiday it would be a different matter.

I find a digital Point and Shoot for general holiday snaps and videos and a small film camera with 50mm or so lens gets me by. Gorilla pod and film, sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Last time I brought my 70-200 and my 16-35 but was informed by a rent-a-cop on the port that my 70-200 was too big and professional to use down there.... Even though my pocket Sony has a better range!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

We're off to the States in Oct, and though it's not a holiday - we're going for a month for the little one's operation and post-physio - But I'm sure we'll take in some sites on the weekends. I only have 3 lenses and no doubt all will come with. 18-70mm kit lens, 50mm f/1.7 and 70-300mm. Though I do have the kit lens up for sale, and if that is gone by that time I will be looking for some kind of wide lens to compliment the 50mm. I don't need the 50 - 70 range all that much. It's just a few steps forward or back with the 50mm, as someone suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I went to NY/Boston earlier this year.. brought sigma 30mm f/1.4 and Tamron 17-50. I only put the 30mm on to shoot my brother's dog ;) I found myself craving width more than anything else, also hate stopping to change lens on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

A week in Scotland recently. Eos 40D with just the 17-55 2.8. Sorted.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am going for my holiday on Saturday. And I am bringing all 4 Canon compatible lenses and three film cameras. And one underwater one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement