Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours nuisance dog

Options
  • 13-06-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Problem is that my neighbour puts her dog out in the back garden every weekend at about 8am.
    Its a little yorkshire terrior and when its put out, it starts to bark non-stop, with a real piercing annoying bark that goes right through you.
    The weekend is the only time we get to have a little lie in after working all week, so its very frustrating when it wakes us and doesnt stop barking.
    I have asked her not to put it out so early, but she continues to do so..
    Any advice here, or is there anything that can be done please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Oh God thats annoying. With us its a shop alarm that goes off every night. Anyway, I would write a letter to the neighbour, you have already made it known that this issue is bothering you and she didn't take notice. Write a formal letter to her saying that she has already been asked nicely and explain that because of your work, the only times to enjoy a long sleep is at the weekend. Keep it nice though. Also, may be worth your while just to pop into the gardai to just let them know about the issue so that is the problem persists, they will have been made aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tevion

rebel10 wrote: »
    Oh God thats annoying. With us its a shop alarm that goes off every night. Anyway, I would write a letter to the neighbour, you have already made it known that this issue is bothering you and she didn't take notice. Write a formal letter to her saying that she has already been asked nicely and explain that because of your work, the only times to enjoy a long sleep is at the weekend. Keep it nice though. Also, may be worth your while just to pop into the gardai to just let them know about the issue so that is the problem persists, they will have been made aware.

I have lost count of the number of times I have said it to her, so I cant see what difference a letter would make to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tevion wrote: »
    I have lost count of the number of times I have said it to her, so I cant see what difference a letter would make to be honest.
    Send it by registered post, so you have evidence you sent it. The neighbour can deny you ever spoke, or can say she was on holiday at the time.

tevion wrote: »
    A letter would document the issue. Keep a copy for yourself and show it to the gardai if you pop in. She could deny ever being spoken to but she can't deny receiving a registered letter, as someone else said. I'm sorry but that is all i can come up with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

A letter would document the issue. Keep a copy for yourself and show it to the gardai if you pop in. She could deny ever being spoken to but she can't deny receiving a registered letter, as someone else said. I'm sorry but that is all i can come up with. :)

noise issues are not dealt with by the gardai. You need to try and resolve the issue with her yourself if that fails you must get in touch with your local authority and they well come out and measure the noise level but they will ask if you've made every effort to resolve the issue yourself before they will do anything.

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    noise issues are not dealt with by the gardai. You need to try and resolve the issue with her yourself if that fails you must get in touch with your local authority and they well come out and measure the noise level but they will ask if you've made every effort to resolve the issue yourself before they will do anything.
    Well i think it is most certainly something that the gardai can deal with in the most quick and effective way, rather than having to get people out to measure noise levels. If someone next door to me was continuously havin loud parties it isin't the levels of the noise i would want to be checking, cause i know its loud enough that it is bothering me. A quick call into the gardai to make them aware of it and if it persists they call round and ask the neighbour to stop. If that fails then go down the route of getting the local authorities involved, and if you have ever had to, you will know this can be quite a wait!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

there is a section in the control of dogs act ireland 1986 which deals with Nuisance by barking dogs.
    i have pasted it here but have a google for the act in case ive missed anything
    the end piece should be done first if i read it right.

Nuisance by barking dogs.

25.—(1) Where, on a complaint being made to the District Court by any person, it appears that a nuisance has been created as a result of excessive barking by a dog, the court may—

[GA] ( a ) order the occupier of the premises in which the dog is kept to abate the nuisance by exercising due control over the dog;

[GA] ( b ) make an order limiting for such period as may be specified in the order the number of dogs to be kept by the respondent on his premises;

[GA] ( c ) direct that the dog be delivered to a dog warden to be dealt with by him in accordance with the provisions of this Act as if the dog were an unwanted dog.

[GA] (2) Before any person makes a complaint to the District Court in relation to a nuisance caused by the excessive barking of a dog, he shall serve notice in the prescribed form, within such time as may he specified in the notice, of his intention to make such a complaint on the occupier of the premises in which the dog is kept.
    Also The citizens information site says
    Barking Dogs
    Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. Your District Court can make an order requiring the reduction of excessive barking by a dog, can limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or can direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden as an unwanted dog.

You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Noise Regulations. Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by completing a special form under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986. These forms are available from your local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Well i think it is most certainly something that the gardai can deal with in the most quick and effective way, rather than having to get people out to measure noise levels. If someone next door to me was continuously havin loud parties it isin't the levels of the noise i would want to be checking, cause i know its loud enough that it is bothering me. A quick call into the gardai to make them aware of it and if it persists they call round and ask the neighbour to stop. If that fails then go down the route of getting the local authorities involved, and if you have ever had to, you will know this can be quite a wait!;)

It's not a case of the gardai being quicker or more effective it's a simple case that noise issues are something they don't deal with and going to them is a waste of time. They won't come round to speak to anyone, they'll simply tell the OP to speak to the woman themselves or go to the local authority. If the dog was dangerous then yes maybe you could get the gardai to come round but the OP has already said it's a small dog and it's in it's own yard not out on the streets. The noise level would need to be measured in order to see if it was really a nuisance and affecting the quality of life of the OP only then will the local authority/distract court/the Environmental Protection Authority take any action. Yes these things take time which is way they encourage people to try and solve noise issues themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Doriath

OP:

Tort of nuisance, you dont "have" to send her a letter(though it would help). What you need to do is inform her of the problem so she can take all reasonable steps to prevent it. As she hasnt you can take her to court to file for compensation and/or an injunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

I really feel for you and understand your situation.
    We had to move out of our last place over this. It wasnt just one dog several of the neighbours had them and it just went on all day long almost every day for months. It was a fairly upper class area too where you might think there would be decent folk and please dont give me the usual excuse "the owners dont know that little fi fi has been barking all day" BULLS%*T !!! These Dog owners are the scum of the earth and when confronted usually dont care as I know many people who had similar problems. There should seriously be some sort of law brought in against the owners after say an official warning. Perhaps a hefty fine would sort them out.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We live in an apartment complex with back gardens and balconies and the MA successfully brought an owner to court to force them to get rid of their barking dog which was constantly left on the balcony.

Do you live in an estate with an MC? If so you may be able to go through them for action.

It's definitely a nuisance. I just can't understand why people do it. It's pure selfishness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Doriath

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    I really feel for you and understand your situation.
    We had to move out of our last place over this. It wasnt just one dog several of the neighbours had them and it just went on all day long almost every day for months. It was a fairly upper class area too where you might think there would be decent folk and please dont give me the usual excuse "the owners dont know that little fi fi has been barking all day" BULLS%*T !!! These Dog owners are the scum of the earth and when confronted usually dont care as I know many people who had similar problems. There should seriously be some sort of law brought in against the owners after say an official warning. Perhaps a hefty fine would sort them out.:mad:

There is a common law, the Tort of Nuisance. The judge can order an injunction which is a court order that the owners have to stop the dog barking.. if they still dont its a fine/prison time. Its harming you by lowering the standard of living you enjoy so you could try and get monatary contribution too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MorganW

We have a 13year lab and some of our neighbours are bringing us to court over excessive barking. These are the same neighbours that objected to our planning permission. The dog is only out in the morning (after nine). Speaking to other neighbours there is no issue with the barking. Maybe I should borrow your neighbours dog and then they'd have something to complain about.

Firstly, you need to issue a summons to attend the district court which will be circa 6 weeks from the summons date. At this summons, a date is then set for the hearing and I'm not sure long how the delay is for the hearing. The judge will make his decision at this hearing. You need to have a petition from your neighbours complaining about then noise as I'm sure that they'll have a list of neighbours who'll dispute the summons

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

How good a shot are you?

:)

This is *not* afterhours. Regardless of whether you're having a laugh or not- comments such as this, advocating shooting the dog, are wholly unacceptable.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement