Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths HL-Paper 2

• 13-06-2010 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭

Is anyone else on here sitting the Project maths pap.2 tomorrow?
    Only 24 school on the project maths scheme so I'd guess around 450 HL students in the whole country.

Any predictions or tips? I have to say I'm very pleased to be sitting the project maths paper as a lot of the most difficult paper 2 Q's have been left of the course:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭echoindia756

hope ye dont get marked the same as people doing the regular HL paper! That would be unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

Only 24 school on the project maths scheme so I'd guess around 450 HL students in the whole country.

Any predictions or tips? I have to say I'm very pleased to be sitting the project maths paper as a lot of the most difficult paper 2 Q's have been left of the course:D

are the points very different to theat of higher level and ordinary level maths? like whats the max amount of points u get if you get an A1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

lallychops wrote: »
    are the points very different to theat of higher level and ordinary level maths? like whats the max amount of points u get if you get an A1?

surely it still has to be 100 points for an A1 in HL Project Maths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I know students in another school doing it.

Because the students have only had a Department Sample Paper and a Mocks Paper, they seem to be pretty much up ****'s creek without a paddle.

However, given it's a new course, I highly doubt the SEC will deviate away from the Sample Paper at all, given it's a new subject and a new course for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Points are exactly the same as the normal higher level paper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

I wish I was lucky enough to be in one of those 24 schools! :( haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

Points are exactly the same as the normal higher level paper

and is it much more difficult than pass ? or is it managable? its kind of crazy the way not too many people know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

I'm doing Project Maths too, it does seem a nice paper, though as someone said we've only had two sample papers and they included different things! Not very good for practicing for tomorrow, but hopefully they'll stick quite rigidly to the two samples...

I don't know how it compares to the old Paper 2 because we've never studied the older version. It does have a lot more Englishy-stuff on it I suppose-I love English, but not for maths! I don't really know why that line looks like that, or why that curve looks that shape, so its easy to lose marks for not explaining it!

There are six 25 mark questions to do with no choice-then three 50 mark longer ones. We have a choice whether we opt to do question 9A or 9B, 9A is more difficult probability and 9B has so far been split into a 25 mark theorem and a 25 mark trigonometry question. They might deviate from the theorem idea and give us a proof instead, hope not though!!!

I think it's a good paper so far, as long as they don't shake it up a little...I'm a bit freaked about question 8 (Geometry and Trigonometry) because they've given us totally different questions on the both sample papers...one was about a semi-circular building and the other was about a pylon whose height we had to measure-except there was a fence surrounding it and it was on a slope. All about angles and measurements. Not nice :(

I think the main difference is that they're big into asking 'Why?'. As in, 'Why is the circumcentre outside of the triangle?' or 'What measure of dispersion or centrality would you use for a skewed graph, and why?'
    I'm doing Honours, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Duncannon

I would love to hear what you thought about project maths paper my daughter is taking the higher paper today

I'm doing Project Maths too, it does seem a nice paper, though as someone said we've only had two sample papers and they included different things! Not very good for practicing for tomorrow, but hopefully they'll stick quite rigidly to the two samples...

I don't know how it compares to the old Paper 2 because we've never studied the older version. It does have a lot more Englishy-stuff on it I suppose-I love English, but not for maths! I don't really know why that line looks like that, or why that curve looks that shape, so its easy to lose marks for not explaining it!

There are six 25 mark questions to do with no choice-then three 50 mark longer ones. We have a choice whether we opt to do question 9A or 9B, 9A is more difficult probability and 9B has so far been split into a 25 mark theorem and a 25 mark trigonometry question. They might deviate from the theorem idea and give us a proof instead, hope not though!!!

I think it's a good paper so far, as long as they don't shake it up a little...I'm a bit freaked about question 8 (Geometry and Trigonometry) because they've given us totally different questions on the both sample papers...one was about a semi-circular building and the other was about a pylon whose height we had to measure-except there was a fence surrounding it and it was on a slope. All about angles and measurements. Not nice :(

I think the main difference is that they're big into asking 'Why?'. As in, 'Why is the circumcentre outside of the triangle?' or 'What measure of dispersion or centrality would you use for a skewed graph, and why?'
    I'm doing Honours, btw.

My daughter is doing the projectmaths today I would like to hear what other people thought of the paper .

• Advertisement

and is it much more difficult than pass ? or is it managable? its kind of crazy the way not too many people know about it.

Project maths finishes at 12 noon any comments

We have been officially told that the Coordinate geometry proofs will not be asked on the project maths (H) today .Your feedback would be great to hear.

I'm doing Honours, btw.
    The general opinion is that the project maths will be very easy (one of the reasons for reducing the failure rate on the Ordinary level in 2009 from 12.5% to 10%).
    I would like to hear opinions as my daughter did the higher paper today in Wesley.I will be posting her thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Give them a chance Duncannon!!
    Best of luck to everyone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Duncannon going a bit mad with the comments there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 L.C.Deirdre

I was really happy overall! Nothing too suprising, all manageable!
    I had Q.8 covered as 'relative motion' in Applied Maths, so that was a total bonus!! :D
    Sad to hear our Q9 B was the same as an ordinary level Q, maybe it is dumbing down? Yerra, if I get my A I'll be laughing!!:p
    Everybody else's thoughts??

The guy on 2fm says that there will be a report on projectmaths.com later today .It will be question per question including answers .

Advertisement