Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

does anyone home wax?

• 13-06-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

hi

Recently got into waxing. Am stony broke and really need to defuzz the legs. Am refusing to go back to shaving so just wondering if any of you wax at home and recommend a kit/brand. Its for my legs and underarms.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I just started using veet's ready to use wax strips...thought they'd be easier and they are! I'd recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

I'd use Veet strips or the Nair hot wax tub, don't need strips for it you just let it cool a little so it won't burn you, apply, it sets & you whip it off, think I pay €13 a tub but it lasts for ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Yeah I've used Veet Strips in the past and I find them great. Only that I'm too broke to keep it up I'd use them all the time.

Might have to try that nair hot wax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm an absolute wimp when it comes to waxing, but that Nair hot wax works for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

If you did home wax, i would suggest getting someone to do it for you! Its really hard to do yourself, as you know when the pain is gona happen, so you might slightly chicken out. Personal experience giving myself a bikin wax, ouch. needless to say I ended up in the salon :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Advice - if you use the Veet hot wax strips, you'd be forever rubbing them between your hands (as per instructions) to warm them up - instead, use a hairdryer on them for a few seconds!

(Just for a few seconds though ... don't burn yourself!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I home wax but just on the bikini line. The veet wax with essential oils is quite good as its water soluble so it will wash off the bath and your skin without fuss. It can be hard to get the temperature exactly right especially as you get to the end of the tub as it will harden quite fast.

Ive been using the Nair hot wax for a while now - you dont get the cloth strips with it that you get with the Veet one above but its a b***h to remove if it gets stuck to hair you dont want to remove and I found its impossible to remove from the bath. I usually stand on an old sheet which I can pick the wax off as it saves me from spending hours scraping the bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

I think doing your legs at home using veet strips is ok.
    However I do NOT recommend waxing your underarms using veet strips - you can easily get bruised because its hard to keep the skin tightened and the hairs there are usually quite coarse so most will get ripped rather than pulled by the root.

ams wrote: »
    I home wax but just on the bikini line. The veet wax with essential oils is quite good as its water soluble so it will wash off the bath and your skin without fuss. It can be hard to get the temperature exactly right especially as you get to the end of the tub as it will harden quite fast.

Ive been using the Nair hot wax for a while now - you dont get the cloth strips with it that you get with the Veet one above but its a b***h to remove if it gets stuck to hair you dont want to remove and I found its impossible to remove from the bath. I usually stand on an old sheet which I can pick the wax off as it saves me from spending hours scraping the bath.

I never had any probs with the Nair one when it comes to removing it from surfaces or anything, you get a couple of the removal clothes with.... but not enough so when I did run out of them before I used tea tree oil (only thing to hand), worked a treat & a hell of a lot quicker than any of those wipes or removal oils I had tried before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I never had any probs with the Nair one when it comes to removing it from surfaces or anything, you get a couple of the removal clothes with.... but not enough so when I did run out of them before I used tea tree oil (only thing to hand), worked a treat & a hell of a lot quicker than any of those wipes or removal oils I had tried before.

I must try that so! I have some of it stuck to my bath for months though and no amount of scrubbing with abrasive things has gotten it off hence the prevention technique!

ams wrote: »
    I must try that so! I have some of it stuck to my bath for months though and no amount of scrubbing with abrasive things has gotten it off hence the prevention technique!

Have you tried heating it with a hair dryer & then stickin a bit of a strip or old rag over it to rip pull it off the bath? Only other thing I can think of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

i would also love to break into the home waxing but i haven't found anything great. i used tyhe veet strips on my underarms, and they were mega bruised after. I tried the strips on my legs and bikini line but they only removed about half the hair so i ended up shaving anyway. i do find baby oil great for removing wax though btw. and the strips takes ages to heat up between hands, tried microwaving them before-mistake!!!

How do you all manage with the hair re growth? Do you have really smooth legs for a week and hairy then for another? Sorry for crazy questions, as i said i'd love to do this but haven't been able to find a way that suits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

slowmoe wrote: »
    How do you all manage with the hair re growth? Do you have really smooth legs for a week and hairy then for another?

I'v always wondered this too. Obviously people wax because your nice and smooth for longer, but you then have to get very hairy again before being able to wax again.

i dont get it?

Advertisement