Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying petrol in a plastic bottle?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭barongreen

enda1 wrote: »
    A cigarette can't light petrol as far as I know. It burns at too low a temperature. However the lighter sure could!

oh yeah even with a dry strongh breeze fanning it ??????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Smcgie wrote: »
    It amazes me that some people post on a thread 'knowing' something because they heard it somewhere.

I have a flammable chemical training cert and the idea of a mobile phone starting a fire is that if you drop the phone the battery may fall out and spark.

Nothing about the phone ringing. :)

In fairness, you deserve an award if you can get a spark from a 3.7v mobile phone battery to light petrol fumes by accident.

Not going to happen.

The battery would want to be made of flint, connected to cotton wool for that to happen.

Some people take silly 'regulations' too far.

However, I'm sure maybe the issue would be spilling petrol all over the place, and all over yourself and attempting to sue the garage, rather than an actual risk of fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

enda1 wrote: »
    A cigarette can't light petrol as far as I know. It burns at too low a temperature. However the lighter sure could!

The petrol doesn't burn it's the vapour that burns. If you have the right conditions most anything could ignite the vapours.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That certainly means a lot, Coke contains phosphoric acid, we shouldn't be drinking the stuff in the first place.

Try putting a coin into a glass of Coke overnight.
    the_syco wrote: »
    One side will be white next morning? :pac:

The coin will be totally refreshed the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

unless its ATEX rated any phone and battery can spark. a li-i battery packs an awfu punch but has a safty circuit built in to prevent this from happening to the end user. also Radio signals can cause spark. the chances of these events actually happening are minimal but the chance are there. i use to design ATEX equpment for Motorola (mainly batteries and chargers) so i've played around alot with batteries and forcing spark/explosions etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Del2005 wrote: »
    The petrol doesn't burn it's the vapour that burns. If you have the right conditions most anything could ignite the vapours.

this is true, and a poor container can allow the vapours to leak, if left in a warm shed during summer you could have a potential fireball on your hands if exposed to a spark.

One of the most dangerous things on a forecourt is actually static build up you get from re-entering the car and then going back to the nozzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Try putting a coin into a glass of Coke overnight.
    Try putting a coin into a glass of stomach acid for 10 minutes.
    However, I'm sure maybe the issue would be spilling petrol all over the place, and all over yourself
    I wouldn't fancy pouring just coke from bottle to bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 very good girl

like hello plastic bottle oh my god

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Enforcing people to use a specific type of cantainer is an excessive and money making racket. Unfortunately it's also necessary to protect idiots from themselves since petrol can dissolve lesser plastics.

7up, Coke, etc. bottles are actually very safe for petrol, just use a funnel to fill it.

I think this law was brought in as there were multiple accidents where children found a coke/7-up bottle and drank the "nice mineral".

All dangerous liquids be it petrol, spirits, turps etc should be stored in their correct utensils with suitable childproof lids imo.

Better safe than sorry! I don't think it is a money racket in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,049 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I went to a petrol station this morning to get some petrol for the lawnmower. The only container I had was an empty 7-up bottle. I needed to fill up my car so filled that up and then went to fill up the bottle and the attendant seen me doing this and turned off the pump. When I went inside she said it was illegal to fill a bottle with petrol, even though I said it was for a lawnmover.

She then tried to sell me an overpriced petrol can, which I refused.

I couldn't find any threads here on boards or anything in the statute book discussing it. So is it illegal to fill up a plastic bottle with petrol rather than a can?
    I don't know...but it's idiotic to complain about. The pump attendant was dead right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

cronin_j wrote: »
    S.I. No. 311/1979 — Dangerous Substances (Retail and Private Petroleum Stores) Regulations, 1979.

All approved petrol containers in ireland have a UN symbol
    Did nobody else read this post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

What's the point you're making Axer?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

I was using a lawnmower years back and got petrol in a 7 Up bottle, but I also bought a bottle of 7 Up to drink to quinch the thirst and yes you guessed it I took a healthy swig of petrol.

Surely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I work in a petrol station. And I trust that as long as there are no naked flames, or mobile phones then there is not an issue. However, a petrol nozzle will not fit into a 7up container and would have just created a big flammable mess.

Mobile phones have been proven a myth at petrol stations, according to Mythbusters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP, there have been numerous accidents and children poisoned through people leaving petrol or chemicals in minerals bottles.

A child sees a bottle of 7up in the garage and will try to drink it.

A jerrycan will last you a lifetime so do yourself a favor and get one.
    You can use it for the lawnmower, if you ever get a chainsaw, go camping or for emergencies like your wife or husband in the second car runs out of fuel anywhere.

I realy don't get posters calling this a money making racket. It's for your own benefit.
    And even with a funnel you'll have muppets overfilling their coke bottles and spilling fuel on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Kevin! wrote: »
    Mobile phones have been proven a myth at petrol stations, according to Mythbusters.
    I saw one show where they busted something I know is true, can't remember what it was now though. It's an entertainment show and doesn't do some tests correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Back sometime in 2005 I was working with a carpenter during the boom years as alot of us did then :rolleyes: Anyway the dopy moron went off one day to get petrol for the generator and came back about half an hour later with two 2 litre milk containers full of petrol with no lids balanced between his feet and the dopey git smoking in the van at the same time.

I was 17 and the same prick paid me €100 for a weeks wages (45hrs) so I then decided that a carpenter was not for me, thankfully the same nobbo has since lost everything including his house and lives off the dole in a mobile home. Sweet Karma.

I'd rather have someone working and sustaining himself and his family than living of the dole...

Del2005 wrote: »
    I saw one show where they busted something I know is true, can't remember what it was now though. It's an entertainment show and doesn't do some tests correctly.

Yeah, sometimes I remember stuff as well...:p

Advertisement