Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If maths is failed.

Options
  • 13-06-2010 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I heard that if you fail maths you can just re-sit maths next year and no other subjects, to pass it. Is that true?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭echoindia756

I heard that if you fail maths you can just re-sit maths next year and no other subjects, to pass it. Is that true?

If you fail maths, as far as I know you're leaving cert is invalid, in other words, you failed your leaving and must repeat it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Yeah you can do maths on its own next year but cannot use it for points. Only for an entry requirement (except for medicine). But there's loads of courses that you can get into without passing maths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

My friend just repeated honours maths this year as the course he wanted to do required a C3 but he got a D1 so he just repeated that. Some colleges you don't need maths thoough but for the majority of them you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

If you fail maths, as far as I know you're leaving cert is invalid, in other words, you failed your leaving and must repeat it again.

No. Incorrect afaik. You can fail every single onme of your subjects and they will not render your Leaving Certificate invalid.

It merely disqualifies you for access to some third level institutions as some require maths as a matriculation measure.

If you fail maths, you will not be awarded any points. However, you may sit the exam next year on it's own, and you'll be able to use it to meet your third level criteria.

However, for HL Maths, many third level institutions have began accepting an 'E' in higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

However, for HL Maths, many third level institutions have began accepting an 'E' in higher level.

i've heard that some colleges will award you a D3 in pass maths if you fail honours maths.. don't quote me for this but that's what I heard...

• Advertisement

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    i've heard that some colleges will award you a D3 in pass maths if you fail honours maths.. don't quote me for this but that's what I heard...

I haven't seen it been done. But it wouldn't surprise me. It's all about the incentives to encourage students to take HL Maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 watevertrevor

does that mean in theory you could sit 3 exams this year and 3 exams next year for your leaving cert? or can you not count the points the next year?

does that mean in theory you could sit 3 exams this year and 3 exams next year for your leaving cert? or can you not count the points the next year?

No. All your points have to be gained from one sitting in the Leaving Cert.

However, if you don't meet the CAO matriculation measures (Subject requirements), then you can go back next year and get the grade in that subject on it's own.

CAO measures your Leaving Cert results based on Subject requirement criteria and your points criteria seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

does that mean in theory you could sit 3 exams this year and 3 exams next year for your leaving cert?

You used to be able to do that up to the end of the 1980s anyway (maybe longer) and you had guys getting 3 As this year and 2 As and a B next year and getting medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 watevertrevor

ah that makes sense then..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

that's crrect
    Excepting medicine, Requirements from any no. of years
    but
    Points from one sitting only

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SYLT

Wrong. Only if you fail to achieve 5 passes in the leaving cert, then you have failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

if you fail maths but get the points for your course you can just re-sit maths. theres a guy repeating his maths exam with us thats the only exam he is sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

You dont actually even need to repeat. Some colleges don't give a crap about math, UCD and Manooth arts courses don't require it at all, Just English, Irish and a third language.

Also if you absolutely require maths for your course some colleges will let you in even if you fail but you may need to sit an extra exam, e.g. DIT engineering.

http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/mathematicsexamforengineeringlevel8programme/

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Yes, you can just take maths.
    Last year I was doing a PLC before college and tons of people were re doing maths as well as the PLC course. They just had a class one evening a week and were given the exam in the summer.

If you just need maths for a paticular college course it might be a good idea to to a PLC relating that subject. It keeps you busy, but there not very hard. and you'll have a little head start beginning college.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

You dont actually even need to repeat. Some colleges don't give a crap about math, UCD and Manooth arts courses don't require it at all, Just English, Irish and a third language.

Also if you absolutely require maths for your course some colleges will let you in even if you fail but you may need to sit an extra exam, e.g. DIT engineering.

http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/mathematicsexamforengineeringlevel8programme/

For the 3rd language do you only need a pass as well, or a C3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Why is there such a misconception out there that if you fail maths you fail your LC? Please, please post information that is 100% correct, because it does get annoying when you don't....

Advertisement