Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on areas for accommodation north side of Dublin city

Options
  • 13-06-2010 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I am moving to Dublin for work and would be grateful for advice for areas to stay in. I've been looking at accommodation and my workplace is near the Mater Hospital. So far I've been looking at Dublin 1, 7 and 9.

It seems that parking is scarce near the Mater and because of that - I'd be hoping to find a place that is within walking distance or accessible by public transport.

From reading around online, it seems that Philsborough and Drumcondra are some residential areas to consider?

I've also seen some apartments listed in Smithfield, Portland Row, Summerhill, East Wall. However, it seems that these areas can be potentially unsafe, with activities that run the range of burglaries, car robberies, mugging etc.

As I anticipate going home late at night after work and will be living on my own (female), safety of the housing area would be a concern. I am also not a local, and have had experiences of being taunted/egged by more 'rowdy' people in unprovoked circumstances - which was quite intimidating.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I have missed out on more areas I could look into, I would be grateful to find out.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Another single female here. I've lived in both Phibsboro and Smithfield for extended periods of time and have never had any problems walking around late at night. My Smithfield apartment was burglarised once, after I left an accessible window open overnight, but obviously that could have been easily avoided! There are a lot of "rowdy" kids in Smithfield, whereas in Phibsboro you're more likely to encounter rowdy adults although they're generally of the annoying-but-otherwise-harmless-drunk variety.

Portland Row and Summerhill, just from walking through them a number of times, both strike me as kind of dodgy. Drumcondra is generally ok. Don't really know much about East Wall.

Glasnevin is another area you might consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chartreuse

Thank you for the advice - I really appreciate it! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Drumcondra is fine and not much trouble at all,also most of the buses that pass the matter head out the Drumcondra direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

You could also look at Cabra East. The area around the 17 Shops (Phibsboro end of the New Cabra Road) is fine, has plenty of local amenities and would be dead handy for a job near the Mater.

Advertisement