Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA in a single subject?

Options
  • 13-06-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a BA already from UCD and I want to return and do 2nd and 3rd year in the subject which I dropped in 1st year. Is it possible to return and just do this at night and will the degree be just as valid as my existing one? Or do I have to do some other subject as well?

Also, does anybody know the structure or cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Nightime BA is gone afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Nightime BA is gone afaik

Since when?? :eek:

It's still on their website and in the 2010 prospectus. I was in contact with the programme office about it within the last 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I remember reading in the observer a while ago that they planned to remove it as it wasnt cost efficient. I know the school of geography doesnt run a night course anymore. Perhaps I am wrong but I do remember hearing it was to be removed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Yeh ive been told a few times now that its gone. It was phased out this year i think.

Well, 6 weeks ago the programme office said it was still available. It is still on their website and it was on the CAO handbook for 2010 entry.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=89

It only started 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

Well, 6 weeks ago the programme office said it was still available. It is still on their website and it was on the CAO handbook for 2010 entry.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=89

It only started 2008.

Believe it or not, the Evening BA degree has been going for half a century or so at least.

There has been a move to amalgamate it with the Day time degree which I imagine means phasing it out gradually as in practice this amalgamation means that subject choice is reduced at night-time. This amalgamation is politically clever as it gives them the excuse of pulling low-demand subjects in the evening while pointing to the enormous choice available to those who can also do a bit during the day. Obviously this ignores the very essence of the evening degree - it is done by people who probably don't have time during the day.

What might have happened in 2008 was the start of the crossover between between day and evening.

Dionysus wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a BA already from UCD and I want to return and do 2nd and 3rd year in the subject which I dropped in 1st year. Is it possible to return and just do this at night and will the degree be just as valid as my existing one? Or do I have to do some other subject as well?

Also, does anybody know the structure or cost?

First of all the degree will be just as valid as your existing one. It's exactly the same. You do not have to do another subject as well as essentially you will be looking to add on to your current degree rather than doing a new one.

Indeed in the evening degree it was always possible to take one subject and many did that as the subjects they required were not always available together - this naturally had implications for the duration of their degree meaning that they could not graduate in the minimum time.

Lectures are (or at least were a few years back) on two nights per week (per subject) - 6.30 to 9.30. It could be a Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday depending on the subject.

The level offered in different subject areas change in alternate years. For example, Irish, English and History were available at Level 1 & 3 in 2006/07 and 2008/09 and (assuming they are still on offer) will again be available at those levels in 2010/11.

Level 2 (Second Year) would have been available only in the other years - 2007/08, 2009/10 and again in 2011/12. So in the subjects mentioned you would not be able to do Level 2 in the coming academic year.

I know Economics and French for example were in the opposite cycle i.e. the different levels in that subject were available in the other years to the other subjects mentioned. So if you were studying English and French in any year you were doing so at different levels i.e. if you were studying First Year/Level One French then you were doing Second Year/Level Two English and so on.

There are two questions you need to get an answer to - 1) is the subject in question still offered in the evening BA degree (I thinkn there has been some reduction in the subjects available in recent times so this needs to be confirmed) and if it is being offered at the level you require i.e. level 2 in the coming year. (I would ring the subject Department in question rather than admissions or degree co-ordinator or anyone else for this specific information)

If the information you get about your subject is favourable, and fingers crossed it will be, you will need to apply on-line (through the UCD website) for readmission to the BA degree. This is best followed up soon because the closing date is some time in July. If in any doubt about the application process ring the main UCD number and ask for on-line applications.

Not sure on what the fees would be but I'd say you'd be looking at something around €2,000.

The fees for last year were €482 per 5 credit module.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/undergraduate.htm#2

The fees for last year were €482 per 5 credit module.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/undergraduate.htm#2

This works out then at €2,892 for the year for one subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Rosita wrote: »
    This works out then at €2,892 for the year for one subject.

Great stuff. The money seems small compared to the PGDE. Thanks a million for the earlier post especially. I was off on a walk for the past month so apologies for the (very) late response. I might enquire about registering for the full-time day BA rather than wait for another year to begin 2nd Year. I have to start inquiring into it all this week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement