Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good gay fiction?

Options
  • 13-06-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me the titles of some good gay fiction?
    I want to get one as a present for a friend who's come out recently.

Not something so lighthearted that it's full of cliches.. i flicked through one in a bookstore but it was all "fabulous" this and "fierce" that, and my friend doesn't really like all that camp stuff. But definitely not something so heavy that there is any kind of HIV storyline!!!!!

Just something kind of realistic about coming out [preferably in 20s, but i know a lot will be set in teens] and telling family and first forays into gay sex/relationships?

Thanks for any recommendations!

[maybe we could also use this thread to recommend other GLBTQ fiction to each other too]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Its not fiction but I really enjoyed Mayor of Castro Street when I was coming out. Its the biography of Harvey Milk. Other than that the only ones I know are G.A.A.Y, but I haven't read it. I was told it was good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you're into historical fiction, Tipping The Velvet and Fingersmith by Sarah Waters are well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I loved At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill.

It's set in 1916 so as you can imagine it's quite historical. The language can be hard to grasp at times as O'Neill uses a lot of colloquial phrases from the era and characters often describe their thoughts without it being overtly obvious whether it's narration or the characters.

Well worth a read though, it was the first gay fiction book I've ever read and I don't think I could've chosen a better one to start with! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Yeah G.A.A.Y. is good and funny.

Best gay fiction I've ever read is Ulster Alien, got hooked to it. A coming of age story set in the Troubles up North. Really good stuff.

Same as Gore Vidal's The City and the Pillar. At some point I could identify myself with the main character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

Its not quite 'gay' fiction but there is a fairly prevalent gay storyline in Robin Hobb's Dragon Keeper/Dragon Haven books. They are fantasy books and as I have said not strictly gay fiction, but interesting none the less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement