Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halfords Fully Automatic Battery Charger query

• 13-06-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have one of these Halfords Fully Automatic chargers:

Halfords Fully Automatic Charger

It has a Sealed/Standard setting and a Bike/Other setting. In Sealed and Bike mode the charger wll output 1.5 A (as far as I can gather from the Interweb).

My question is, is this ampage too much to charge my GSX-R 600 battery (a Yuasa YTX9-BS)? My Haynes manual says Suzuki recommend 1.2 A. The battery itself has a sticker saying STD: 0.9 A for 5 ~ 10 h QUICK: 4.0 A for 1 h.

Does anybody else here have experience using this charger?

It's a new battery and I don't want to balls it up by charging it incorrectly.

Cheers,
    Al.

P.S. It's charging on the kitchen table right now. I'm keping an eye (and hand) on it making sure it's not getting hot. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

I reckon you should be fine, the description on the Halford site would lead me to believe that this would be an "intelligent" charger like an Optimate.
    Therefore it should make adjustments to the charging cycle automatically so as to prevent overcharging or any other unpleasantness!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Big J

I have used one of these chargers for about 6 or 7 years now on a variety of motorcycle, scooter and car batteries and never known it damage a battery. It has actually brought a discharged battery back from the dead on more than one occasion without damage.

As Judas1369 points out it is an "intelligent" charger that cuts out rather than overload the battery - so it should be OK.

Just make sure it is on the bike setting, otherwise it may try and put too much juice into the battery too quickly and will damage it in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Cheers lads for confirming my theories.

Just out of curiosity, I stuck a multimeter in series with the charger. It seems to be charging at 0.8 A which is well within both battery and Suzuki spec.

It's turning out to be a bit of a star product actually. I had my reservations because it's Halfords own brand. But it's performing admirably.

Al.

Advertisement