Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weedkiller and dogs?

Options
  • 13-06-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Anyone know any weed killers that are safe to use aronund animals and kids.id rather not use Round up etc because even after it dries its still in the soil and my dogs have a thing for eating grass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Anyone know any weed killers that are safe to use aronund animals and kids.id rather not use Round up etc because even after it dries its still in the soil and my dogs have a thing for eating grass.

Good for you re Round Up..

I would not risk any chemicals where the dogs/cats are concerned. Good old fashioned hand weeding..

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

:rolleyes: I was thinking that was going to be the response:(

suppose better safe than sorry,although ill probably do my back in:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Another option would be to get a weed burner.

It was on sale in Lidl some time recently and i presume gardening shops must also sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I've actually been told by a number of very reliable sources that roundup is safe to use where dogs are, as long as you keep them away from it until it is dry. I use it every year and none of the dogs have ever had an adverse effect from it.

ISDW wrote: »
    I've actually been told by a number of very reliable sources that roundup is safe to use where dogs are, as long as you keep them away from it until it is dry. I use it every year and none of the dogs have ever had an adverse effect from it.

This came up on the gardening forum; this was the site that convinced many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup_(herbicide)

One of the posters said it was the scariest report he had ever read; and the fact that the firm have not refuted the report speaks worlds.

Some of the bad effects can be long term and not appear immediately; they are cumulatiive..

Dogs and cats lick themselves so ingestion is unavoidable.

All these chemicals have side effects; we have family in Canada.. mention roundup there and they are aghast that it is still available here.

Anyways, we cannot afford stuff like that; it only kills what is above and any seeds or roots left just grow on of course.

Short term measure.

Hand weeding is very good exercise...;) and you get the roots and all.

And we grow organic anyways...

The weed burner sounds good to us. Great fun too;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

ISDW wrote: »

I don't know what kind of weedkiller my dad uses but he uses it sometimes, maybe once a year, and we just let it dry and then let the dogs out and it's never harmed them. And the cats are around too even before it's dried and it doesn't harm them. It's only used in a small part of the garden though, because I mostly just pull the weeds for my rabbits to eat, unless they are poisonous weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

there are plenty of ways to kill weeds, boiling water, salt (although thos wreck the soil), vinegar. i did a search a while ago, just google naturtal weed killers. personally, there is nothing like chemical for tthis job i find, so if you can fence off the sprayed area, that would be the best imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

What size area do you need to treat? I have 3/4 of an acre so the only choice is Roundup and ploughing - the dogs get kennelled for three days and the chickens get locked in.

'cptr

What size area do you need to treat? I have 3/4 of an acre so the only choice is Roundup and ploughing - the dogs get kennelled for three days and the chickens get locked in.

'cptr

We did fine before chemicals. ..So there is always choice. Far too many chemicals used; and roundup is barred in some countries.

With sound reasons

I have MCS so no choice. No chemicals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

The company is called Monsanto, they produce Round-up (made in Ireland as well) this is in 10 parts but it is worth while to watch. This company is huge, you know the type that a massive yet you hear nothing of them !

Back on topic, hand weeding ! Or boiling water on foot paths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

hi doggiewalkier, i actually studying this subject at colege at the moment and ideally no weedkiller is safe evn the ones that say pet friendly etc are not. The weedkillers are generally absorbed through the paws of animals and this is the main route of admin. Cats then clean there paws so therefore it is then ingested. However i was told that it then becomes deactivated once it dries in. Please just take care if you are going to spray as this can be zoonotic, spread from animals to people etc. I have a feeling the safest action is back breaking :(:D

I find hand weeding soothing and satisfying. It is a quiet work, and the effect is so immediate and obvious.

It can take a few years before all the seeds in the ground have sprouted and been pulled, but after that, only a few air borne seeds will appear.

Weedkillers do only kill the foliage and not the roots.

Having arthritis, the method I use most is mulch; thick black plastic. Fascinating how eg nettle roots come to the surface like spaghetti. They still sting.

Advertisement