Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pay for rewiring

Options
  • 13-06-2010 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

How does one pay for house rewiring?DO you pay a deposit first before the work starts.DO you get a formal contract from the electrician detailing the work to be carried out.
    DO you may stage payments ,or is there just a payment when the work is done.IS it necessary to get a recci or essa member to do the rewiring
    as the esb will require a cert to turn on the supply.
    the esb knocked off power as there was a problem with the consumer unit.ie too old.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My advice is:

1) Use a registered electrical contractor (ECSSA or RECI) only
    2) Get a detailed written quotation and prices for extras
    3) Agree on stage payment system before work starts. Get this in writing, people forget conversations!
    4) Get the electrician to mark up a drawing of what he is installing and where.
    5) Sit down with the electrical contractor and get some ideas from him/her regarding the design.
    6) Wire for the alarm, network points, flat screen, sounds etc. For God's sake put some thought into it!!
    7) Ensure that the heating control allows for multi 2 or 3 channel timeclock at a minimum as well as stats and zone valves. This will save you money big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Thats good advice but i,m a trained technician .
    I will be installing a wifi , rj45 network myself with .AT present i just need a standard rewire with lights, sockets, circuits for central heating and immersion.What would be an average 1st payment deposit ? IS 5k a reasonable budget for basic rewiring.House size 700sq ft, 11 light fittings, 14 power points.includes power to boiler.
    i,m experienced in regard to installing pc ,telecom networks.
    Most rooms will just have 1 double power outlet.
    the floorboards are easy to lift up so ,i ll leave the surround sound,alarm,pc wiring to a later date.only the large bedroom , front room will have 2 power points.
    i,ll install sky tv using 2 lnb feeds to 2 recievers using standard coax cable.

So i just need an electrician to do the electrical wiring and provide a reconnection certificate
    to the esb.

will it help the sparks ,if i remove the old wiring to the old sockets that are there now.

there s only three radiators on the boiler at present so i,ll get a new timer installed
    at a later date.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most rooms will just have 1 double power outlet.
    That is not a good idea! You need far more than that. Spend a little more and do it right. It will be far more expensive to add later.

The norm for a bedroom is a socket each side of the bed and at least one more on the opposite wall.

i,ll install sky tv using 2 lnb feeds to 2 recievers using standard coax cable.
    Standard is not a good idea. You need RG6.

You might get it done for €5k. Hard to know without more info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

ricman wrote: »
    IS 5k a reasonable budget for basic rewiring.House size 700sq ft, 11 light fittings, 14 power points.includes power to boiler.

How many rooms? TBH judging from the rewires I've been on 5k'll be the min. 8k at the outside, but your sparks'll be able 2 ballpark it better one he see's the house.
    2011 wrote: »
    That is not a good idea! You need far more than that. Spend a little more and do it right. It will be far more expensive to add later.

Defo +1 on this. At least x3 double skts in bedrooms, maybe 3/4 in kitchen/living room. Don't forget wiring for the cooker (if its electric)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I just rewired most of the house and put in extra double sockets any where i could and a treble for tv,dvd/sky box.Much safer than using adaptors

WELL the only rooms that are large are the front room, main bedroom.

WELL the only rooms that are large are the front room, main bedroom.
    That does not mean that there will be very little to plug in! Just count the number off appliances in the kitchen. You also need hoover sockets, cordless phone, mobile charger, bedside lamps, radio, computer, printer, sound system,TV the list goes on .....

ok, i see your point.re sockets.appliances.

• Advertisement

Have a look around simalar houses, do a count. Try to avoid ever have to use plug boards and double adapters. You have a chance to do it right. A bit of thought can make all the difference. for example I always like to have a switch beside the bed to turn off the lights. Things like that don't cost much extra if it is done at the time. Also installing the correct cable is very important.

Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

will it help the sparks ,if i remove the old wiring to the old sockets that are there now.

Best let your sparks take a look. It could be a good help, but oftentimes the old wiring can be used to fish in new cables which could save on some channeling or general awkwardness later on.

I, have connected about 10 sky recievers for friends,relations etc and i just used standard coax cable , as the sky signal is very strong if you put the dish on a wall or roof,and i once had 4 recievers working from 1 dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I, have connected about 10 sky recievers for friends,relations etc and i just used standard coax cable , as the sky signal is very strong if you put the dish on a wall or roof,and i once had 4 recievers working from 1 dish.

I worked doing sky installs a for about 18 months a few years ago. I replaced a large amount of RG59 (standard ) coaxial cables. Yes they all worked fine initially yet they degraded over time, I cannot explain this other than to say RG6 is a better standard.
    If I'm rewiring and I'm not getting my price busted down on every little thing I'll even splash out and get CT100, but RG6 is what every sky installer I've ever known uses.
    Also, as said previously leave the old wiring in. I'm currently rewiring a big old 1840's house and the old wiring has made my job much easier, meaning less damage and replastering.
    Definitely do not use someone who isn't registered, ask to see their membership card for either RECI or ECSSA. Prices are so competitive now you won't save that much by getting it done as a nixer.

Good luck with it

Well the pc network, sky dish will be installed 2 weeks after the rewiring, i removed alot of old ceiling plaster , so its easy to run pc, or sat cables under floorboards, or thru existing ducts.theres no carpets, floorboards are easy to lift up.i,ll also be putting in some insulation be4 new plasterboards go up.I, M not a professional sky installer so i believe you ,re sat cable specs.i,m just gonna have 2 sky recievers working from 2 lnbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I, M not a professional sky installer so i believe you ,re sat cable specs.i,m just gonna have 2 sky recievers working from 2 lnbs.
    There's nothing professional involved in running what's required. Each box should get 2 feeds from the dish to cater for Sky Plus. So that's 4 instead of 2.

It's no harm in leaving a cable for the possibility for a roof aerial - down the line, you may not want to be tied to pay tv only. And a cable for looping the main tv back to the attic - down the line, you may not want to have to pay extra for a second Sky subscription when one can be viewed on both TVs.

I'd also agree with using CT100. If you are running the cables yourself, the extra cost is negligible.

I'd put alot of thought into everything now, as you will regret it down the line as you have the chance to do it right. Best of luck.

I,ll only have one sky sub, if i decide to get sky plus i,ll run 4 leads off a quad lnb unit.i cant think of a reason to take out 2 subs ,i might just have one reciever fta ,or run a magic eye coax to reciever no 2.
    I,M DOING everything myself except the electrical rewiring.if i subscribe, ill get 1free dish install and 1 reciever anyway.

I,ll only have one sky sub, if i decide to get sky plus i,ll run 4 leads off a quad lnb unit.i cant think of a reason to take out 2 subs ,i might just have one reciever fta ,or run a magic eye coax to reciever no 2.
    That should cover what you appear to want. Though I'd wire for both options now (and Sky+) and be done with it.
    Personally, I'd run at least 5 co-axs to the main tv, and 2 to all secondary ones. All to a central point in the attic. And a Cat 6 to each TV also.

MOST people get 1 router with wifi enabled so i see no point in running cat 5 all over the place ,ie i can just use wifi from 1 laptop.
    my sis has 3 pcs, just uses wifi ,doesnt know what cat5 is.Gets a good signal from the eircom router.i,ll probably end up getting wimax or a usb modem, so theres no point in running cat5 at the moment.

MOST people get 1 router with wifi enabled so i see no point in running cat 5 all over the place ,ie i can just use wifi from 1 laptop.
    my sis has 3 pcs, just uses wifi ,doesnt know what cat5 is.Gets a good signal from the eircom router.i,ll probably end up getting wimax or a usb modem, so theres no point in running cat5 at the moment.
    Okay, this is my last word on this as you have obviously made up your mind. In fairness, your thread has been somewhat derailed from your original request. :)

I don't really understand why you say "cat5 at the moment". So when? When all is finished and plastered in 2 years time? It will cost you very little to do all the thinking and wiring now as opposed to down the line.

I mentioned a Cat6 to each point, as Internet TVs are becoming ever more popular (saves the need for a laptop for browsing etc). Also, Sky boxes use phone lines for interactive services. Wifi is not much use for these at the moment.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

TO BE clear i wont have a phone line ,ill get a usb modem or maybe wimax.I just need email, casual web browsing .
    I .,m mainly interested in rewiring info in regard to the electrical system.my friend has a usb modem, she gets around 800,900 k per sec download speed,eg ok for casual browsing.
    i just intend to pay the electrician to do rewiring , im well qualified to install a cat5/6 or wifi network, if i find i need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TO BE clear i wont have a phone line ,ill get a usb modem or maybe wimax.I just need email, casual web browsing .
    I .,m mainly interested in rewiring info in regard to the electrical system.my friend has a usb modem, she gets around 800,900 k per sec download speed,eg ok for casual browsing.
    i just intend to pay the electrician to do rewiring , im well qualified to install a cat5/6 or wifi network, if i find i need one.

I know where you are coming from ricman, I was in the same boat. However I did end up putting in extra Cat6e cables into my place, even if untermainated an electrician shouild do a better job of installing the cables in one go compared to going back afterwards, its nearly always a pain, I found that I was left wanting on CT100 and Cat6 cabling and had to add them myself afterwards, it would have been better if I did it all at the same time.

I've also been let down by numerous ISPs forcing me to change my wiring/wireless needs. One thing I never regretted was having a decent wired link from my media PC to my NAS box.

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Not sure if this is still needed but when I do rewires I would sit down with the client,do up a sketch and
    mark all power points and lighting points and any extras

I would advise atleast 3 double sockets per bedroom, 1 double hall and landing, 3 livingroom/diningroom.
    Plenty in the kitchen, atleat 3 above counter and 2-3 undercounter.

As for pricing it varies depending on the work to be done

Recently I rewired a 3 bedroom council house with extension

22 power points
    12 lighting points
    heating, cooker, immersion, earthing/bonding, new 2 row fuse board etc

cost was €3,500 with a deposit of €900 to cover cost of material and hired equipment

Ian

Advertisement