Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone else run out of time for the geography paper?

• 13-06-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I started with my geoecology question and got about three pages done on that so hopefully I got near my full marks. Although, I spent WAY too much time on physical. I did my part A and it was fine. Same with part C (Interaction with the rock cycle through natural gas exploitation), but I wrote about 3 pages on the plate tectonics and the formation of fold mountains. Took too long to write:(.

I only got two thirds of my of human elective, 10 out of my 12 short questions done and barely started my regional when they told us to stop writing.

What really annoys me is the fact I could've written a lot more:(

Would I be lucky to get a C in Augest?

Any else f**k up with timing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 JennyBean1

I didnt do the same questions as you but i only got a third of the way through my geoecology question!! defo didnt get 80 marks in that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Ya I could have done with 15 or 20 more minutes, but I suppose the point of the exam is to present what you know in the time alloted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I just about got it done but didn't write as much as I should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I was fairly okay. I didn't write very good answers but I made myself stopped at 12 mins for every Q B/C. I went over for 2-3 mins a few times but I finishsed my short Qs & my geoecology (wrote only 3.5 pages) early. I also couldn't write much for part C (the one talking about historic settlesment) in the elctive question so that gave me another 4-5 mins.

Overall, not as bad as I thought it would be (time-wise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

3 pages? Why?

They're only looking for 15 relevant points. Why bother giving them like 30?

Incidentally, does any remember if we were asked to draw a diagram in the '...formation of one Irish underground landform' question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Look it up irondragons, the paper is online.

I barely got it done. Only had about 8 or 9 points for my last question though, but other than it was fine. I could not find that damned mast. I spend about 5 minutes looking for it before realising how much time I was wasting on a question worth 1 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nijel

I thaught the exam finished at 12 so got 2 pages done for q22 in 2omin :eek: got 5 done in total then :) but most of the other questions i could only do a plus b or c so was rather disapointed...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Pete29

3 pages? Why?

My teacher said we had to write the complete theories of continental drift and sea floor spreading along with defining and explaining the theory of plate tectonics exactly as they were in her notes.

Apparently, we were supposed to get this done in 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I started with my geoecology question and got about three pages done
    geoecology (wrote only 3.5 pages)

Oh my dear god its only meant to be 24srps no wonder people complain about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Yeah. I had realised I spent too long on my option question. But I had 5 mins to finish my physical geography question on the metamorphic rocks so I just wrote down around 8 bullet points on it. Hopefully there are a few SRP's in it so :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Incidentally, does any remember if we were asked to draw a diagram in the '...formation of one Irish underground landform' question?

Yes, they don't specify but you are supposed to draw a diagram for nearly all of the physical questions.

I just drew an oval shape as a cave and drew a stalgmite, stalactite and a pillar inside. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

In the mocks I did 1 and a half pages for the essay-type question and got 70/80 for it, with a bit of BS just to fill up lines. In the actual LC, I wrote 2 pages with more SRPs. You really don't need 3-4 pages for it...

Timing is not an issue for geography. Try history.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

lads yere all gone cracked?.....i got a b2 in my pre's and all i wrote was 2.5 pages for biomes...(a)just did the part on elective.....good short questions got 70/80.....half pages for regional & physical ans and i only did 50 outta 80 marks in physical///wtf is wrong with ye at all??..an s.r.p is a line or two long not 5 or 6!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

3 pages? Why?

Go to examinations.ie all the exam papers are on that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

3 pages? Why?

im pretty sure they didnt, but they never do, its usually common that people automatically draw one

I didnt draw any diagrams (apart from the Q on map of ireland and sketch map) till i had all the writing done, then i went back and did them. i finished my writing 10 mins befoe the end, then did my diagrams of a cave, italy and india!
    i was finished with like 1 miinute to spare, which i used to fill in the ahort questions i blanked on!! ^_^

in the mocks i didnt get close to finishing at scraped a c2, so i bet youll be grand!! and you did 10 out of 12 short qs which is the required amount anyway

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Oh wow I wrote 7 pages for my Geoecology - I thought it had to be that long :o I have big writing though, I still did it in the time allowed (32 mins). However, it probably would have been wiser to make it shorter but more 'concise'.

I finished with a minute and a half to spare. I just went to all my region and elective questions and scribbled in locational maps really quickly, with a few labels. I'm hoping it might count as one SRP. I didn't get any time to read over anything I wrote, nor to check over my Short Questions (I make silly mistakes here due to rushing, and it's 8 marks per question!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 student01

Oh wow I wrote 7 pages for my Geoecology - I thought it had to be that long :o I have big writing though, I still did it in the time allowed (32 mins). However, it probably would have been wiser to make it shorter but more 'concise'.

7 PAGES?!? :eek:
    I know I'm a slow writer but I only got 3 pages done in 30 mins... and I knew it really well!

student01 wrote: »
    I know I'm a slow writer but I only got 3 pages done in 30 mins... and I knew it really well!
    me too, the max i can ever write on biomes is 3 pages, 7 is...wow...!! but not all the points to go SRPs, theres the cohesion marks, which i loooove :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

student01 wrote: »
    muffinz wrote: »
    me too, the max i can ever write on biomes is 3 pages, 7 is...wow...!! but not all the points to go SRPs, theres the cohesion marks, which i loooove :P

My writing is quite large though, and it's slanted to the side (italics?) so it takes up more room. It probably works out the same. And I left like 2 blank lines between each 'aspect' (soil, climate, vegetation, animals).

I can write fast but not very neat. I look at my answer book and it starts off neat and as my hand gets more tired it gets sloppier and sloppier. Still legible though, although maybe not near the end.

I have a friend and she can write very fast, yet extremely neat. Her fastest writing is neater than my 'going slow and trying to be neat' writing. She must have some secret :p

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

I have a friend and she can write very fast, yet extremely neat. Her fastest writing is neater than my 'going slow and trying to be neat' writing. She must have some secret :p

The secret is shes a girl.

• Advertisement

My writing is quite large though, and it's slanted to the side (italics?) so it takes up more room. It probably works out the same. And I left like 2 blank lines between each 'aspect' (soil, climate, vegetation, animals).

I can write fast but not very neat. I look at my answer book and it starts off neat and as my hand gets more tired it gets sloppier and sloppier. Still legible though, although maybe not near the end.

Haha, im the same, by the time i got to Kavanagh in english my writing was like a black blob on the page!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 student01

RyanK wrote: »
    The secret is shes a girl.

Nope... I'm a girl and I write slow :p
    Well I can write fast but it is far from legible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Pete29 wrote: »

I only got two thirds of my of human elective, 10 out of my 12 short questions done and barely started my regional when they told us to stop writing.

Sure you only need 10 anyway right?

Advertisement