Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay mobile in the US (New England)

Options
  • 13-06-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I have a friend who has a arrived in the US on J1 and is looking for a prepay phone to text and receive text messages from Ireland. Receiving calls would be key too.
    If anyone has any advice on networks (Cheapest, best reception etc), it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

She'll have to check with some locals about what's best reception-wise for the area.

I have a T-mobile PAYG phone, it's a basic Nokia that cost me $20 and it's simple to top up. Generally the more you top up with at any given time the better value the top-up, $100 lasts me 3-4 months. Remember that in the US received calls count as part of your minutes. On my network international texts are only $0.10 to send and $0.05 to receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Thanks very much for the info, is that the basic plan?? I have been here three years, so I can ask about for network info. It has changed allot since my first came, and none of my friends have prepay phones, let alone use them for international calling...

It's not a plan an all - simply top-up and call until your minutes expire. It is worthwhile putting an initial $100 on the phone as you get 15% extra and they do screw you if you top-up by small amounts, rates are:

$10 = 30 mins
    $25 = 130 mins
    $50 = 400 mins
    $100 = 1000 mins

I never use my phone to call internationally but I do use it to receive international calls and they are charged at the same rate as receiving local calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I use Cricket, its bill pay but no contract, month to month. You can add international calling and texting for an extra $10 or $20 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its very different in the US.

I dont think there's the same kind of prepay as in europe. All services require some kind of contract and sign up. You cant just buy a sim and some minutes.

I'm no expert though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

She'll have to check with some locals about what's best reception-wise for the area.

I have a T-mobile PAYG phone, it's a basic Nokia that cost me $20 and it's simple to top up. Generally the more you top up with at any given time the better value the top-up, $100 lasts me 3-4 months. Remember that in the US received calls count as part of your minutes. On my network international texts are only $0.10 to send and $0.05 to receive.

Similar to what I have, I barely use mine to be honest. True about topping up, you get bonus minutes for buying larger amounts as well. I think my sim cost $75 and that came with minutes. I used an old triband phone that I had in Ireland, easy.

edit: no contract, just a simple pay as you go

InTheTrees wrote: »

I dont think there's the same kind of prepay as in europe. All services require some kind of contract and sign up. You cant just buy a sim and some minutes.

I'm no expert though...

I don't have a contract with mine, I just buy minutes as and when I need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Yeah, I've no contract either and I pay $35 a month for unlimited minutes. I can cancel at any time and pick back up again if needed.

Do note though: minutes are used for receiving phonecalls too so if you don't have minutes or money or credit or whatever on your phone, you can't receive phonecalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

InTheTrees wrote: »

I'm no expert though...

Yes you can. It's not always clear on the websites but if you go to the carriers stores they can usually sell a PAYG sim without you having to buy a handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,918 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Virgin Mobile prepay works fine for me. I average under $20 a month. sometimes 10.

• Advertisement
Advertisement