Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blessington

Options
  • 13-06-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what permits I need for blessington and what types of boat are allowed? I remember there are some stupid restrictions on the lake like white maggots only so wondering if there are boat restrictions? Also are there any good slipways on it as I've never boat fished it before but would like to give it a go.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Charles Camping
    Rory’s
    Southside Angling,
    Henry’s
    Tallaght Angling & Shooting Centre
    I think the supermarket in Blessington has them too.
    Boat permits from E.S.B. Fisheries Ardnacrusha Tel: 061 – 345588.
    No boats under 12 feet
    I think no inflatables (due to the stumps sticking up)

All legal methods including trolling are allowed and fishing is permitted along the complete perimeter of the reservoir.
    The use of live bait and maggots is prohibited for trout fishing and the use of live fish as bait is prohibited for coarse fishing .
    Only undyed maggots are allowed for coarse fishing.
    No fishing within 350 metres of the DAM.
    Bag limit: 4 Brown Trout per Day
    Size limit: 23 cms (9 inches).
    Signs should be checked locally re. closing times, as some car parks are closed at night
    Night time fishing is prohibited.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

16ft fibreglass boat with 15hp engine ok? as I think I heard only up to 5hp allowed?

Thanks for the reply btw coolwings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

As far as i am aware the size limit for outboard engines is 6hp. Contact the ph. no. in a previous post for full details :ESB Ardnacrusha Tel: 061 – 345588.
    wgsten
    http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

Thats a load of crap if it's true! Why all the stupid rules by the ESB, they don't have a clue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

shblob wrote: »
    Thats a load of crap if it's true! Why all the stupid rules by the ESB, they don't have a clue!
    Someone has to come up with rules crap or not. I as a user of this ammenity would not like to see a free for all on it.
    wgsten

Well I guess the reason for the rules is twofold:
    it's drinking water
    and
    they have seen too many drownings already, and risked their own lives too many times saving other fools from imminent death

Blessington is not Mask ... Dublin is down the road .... 1 1/2 million people with no inkling of safe practises for water sports.

The staff do a great job IMO. With more resources that could be a truly wonderful place, but it's there and we can fish it for a reasonable charge.

I have no problem paying the fee whatsoever. It's reasonable, but on such a vast water a 6hp engine isn't adequete if you want to fish the other end, or get around in ONE day!

A 15hp is hardly unreasonable!

The bottom of it's riddled with old tree stumps sticking up and the average Joe Soap hasn't a clue where they are .... so the faster the boat ... the more of them will end up in the water.
    Imagine Mask without the professional boatmen and more boating beginners.
    At least I assume that's their reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

Never really heard anything about Blessington lakes. Never seen any fishing reports on it. It any good for trout fishing? id didnt realise it was such a big span of water either......5000 acres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

It's reasonable, but on such a vast water a 6hp engine isn't adequete if you want to fish the other end, or get around in ONE day!
    A 15hp is hardly unreasonable![/QUOTE]
    a 6hp engine would have no problem getting you around the lake providing the boat is not to heavy and the reality of it is you wouldnt fish the whole lake in one day no matter what size engine you have and large parts of the lake are not really fishable the shallow ends would break your heart esspecially if its windy.
    From the first bridge to the dam is the better lake for trout

Advertisement