Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Issues

Options
  • 13-06-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Heya,

I need a recommendation on a PSU that would power a pc that has overclocked cpu, ram, and gpu parts.

I was pretty naive to think my Corsair TX650 would power this monster but I went ahead with it anyway, And it's just not cutting it. It seems to run everything fine except the EVGA GTX295 that I have.

When im playing games , even on the lowest possible settings, The visual will completely cut off and no output is being received by the monitor. Everything else seems fine. At first I thought it was overheating, so I put on a heat sink and turned the fan up, and ran a heat test which was all fine.

So anyway, What psu could someone suggest that I buy to stop this happening?

Thanks,

Dan.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Give us a complete breakdown of your build including OC speeds/voltages. If its a regular gaming build with a GTX295 it should run fine on a TX650, heavy OCing would make it sweat a bit but it should still run it unless either CPU, GPU or PSU were already unstable or damaged due to OC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well I had an OCZ 700W with an i7 860 oc'ed at 3.6ghz with my gtx295. Thats a fairly high usage envelope, and I'm a heavy gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Right,

Sorry bout the delay, Been trying a few things.

I have set all the over clocking back to factory standards and It has`nt changed even a tiny bit (Which I knew it wouldnt)

So now I have a Core i5 running back on 2.66Ghz instead of 4Ghz
    4gb of ram at 1300Mhz.

GTX295 running on full graphics with a temperature of average 93c (Pretty high)

When the monitor turns off , there is no blue screen, Its just turns off then comes back on and the screen is completely black. I can hear all the back ground applications running fine like skype, itunes e.t.c, just the game crashes and I have no visual what so ever.

I only noticed this since I started playing games again.

Been running about 6 months with no problems untill I loaded the first game onto it.

Does this help at all? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i have a corsair hx620 running a gtx 275 overclocked i5 4ghz two hd,s and 6 fans and the gtx is overclocked no issue,s. can you run msi kombuster and benchmark your gpu and see what your card temps are like and is it only crashing with 1 game or all.it could be a bug in the game??? also have you taken your card out to see if its dusty if so blow the card out with a can of air see if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

When you say you put everything back to factory standard did you set the settings in the BIOS to Auto or did you manually put them in? I ask because I had exactly the same symptoms when using the "Auto" settings on my mobo due to bad SPD detection. Manually inputting RAM settings sorted it out.

PS. What mobo do you have?

• Advertisement

C.D. wrote: »
    When you say you put everything back to factory standard did you set the settings in the BIOS to Auto or did you manually put them in?

I went for auto :S

Im not an overclock-er myself, So I assumed auto might do it. Overclockers.co.uk are the chaps who overclocked the whole thing for me.]

The mobo is a GIGABYTE P55-UD5.

In relation to taking the card out, I tried that a few days ago, Cleaned down every fan, Cleaned all the dust collectors, Took out the card, Took off and re-attached the heat sink.

I put the fan speed to 100% yesterday ( very noisy lol ) and it kept the card at 45oc when played at fullest settings, and it still crashed, In all games, not just one :( - reinstalled gfx drivers billion+ times at this stage incase i forgot to mention the obvious lol -

I`m baffled. . . I used to fix pc's for a while - but this is well over my head.

Here`s a screen shot of the benchmark test. (with standard fan speed set - 40%)

bench.png

Kombustor can't see the GPU speed? TBH I'd check the GTX295 in another machine, starting to think its got serious issues...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Solitaire wrote: »
    Kombustor can't see the GPU speed? TBH I'd check the GTX295 in another machine, starting to think its got serious issues...

that. also, what drivers are used for windows server 2007?

that. also, what drivers are used for windows server 2007?

Exactly, missed that bit! :o

• Advertisement

someone has a dl copy of win7 thats what the loader registers it as i should know lol

is the card running well at all this is my gtx 275 on stock speeds msi.png?t=1276892542

I don`t have a DL version of W7. Was reading up on why the software thinks its windows server but it just said ignore - beta e.t.c

Ye at this stage it has to be the card :(
    Are there any other ways of testing it? The stress test just goes on forever
    and doesn`t skip a beat, maybe ill leave it longer.

If the card is banjaxed, Who can repair it? Warranty or no warranty, Cant do
    without it for weeks on end if i send it away :(

can you list ur full specs its
    strange its not crashing wen ur benching it

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

massy086 wrote: »
    can you list ur full specs its
    strange its not crashing wen ur benching it

When I had similar problems Furmark ran for 6 hours+ but card would crash within 30 mins of gaming- sucks to be spending hours running tests and not finding anything useful. I'd suggest downloading cpu-z and checking if your RAM is running at the correct timings and if not correcting them manually.

98241382.png84945211.png56346478.png79838051.png15784975.png18265050.png44420326.png93386188.png83716122.pngs10r.png

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I also had this issue and when I looked it up people were saying that it is the bios that needs upgrading.
    Haven't tried this myself as I can't get the drivers I need for windows 7.

Though for me it could of been the fact that I was playing battlefield bad company 2 on high settings with an 8800gtx (lots of heat:D)

Advertisement