Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

easy drum songs

Options
  • 13-06-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

well.....i've been getting drums lessons for a month or two now....getting my own kit next weekend and i'm looking for fairly easy songs to learn to start off with...i'm into arctic monkeys and such......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Can't really go wrong with some AC/DC. They have some simple enough songs to play if you are just starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

1979 by the smashing pumpkins has to be the easiest song to play in the drums. it is just a drum loop so its the same beat the whole way through, it was the first song i learned to play all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I learned on ZZtop. Sharp dressed man, gimme all your lovin, doubleback. Nice simple beats with plenty of room for improv as you get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

The first song I learned on drums was Hash Pipe by Weezer. What a fun day that was :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

huggy wrote: »
    well.....i've been getting drums lessons for a month or two now....getting my own kit next weekend and i'm looking for fairly easy songs to learn to start off with...i'm into arctic monkeys and such......

Give us a bit more of what you're into. Arctic Monkeys have some terribly difficult grooves to master, not easy to get into for a beginner. If you want to though, look at Fluorescent Adolescent (complicated yes, but slow and tasty, so it will be rewarding).

Elsewhere, as El Pron said, Hash Pipe is a great starting song, most of Weezer is.

On top of this, I'd take a look at Californication onwards from the Chili Peppers. Chad Smith is a great example of keeping it subtly simple and I learned a great load from his style.

Whats in your CD player at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dirty Frank

Yes to 1979, one of the first I learned. Don't get hung up on getting it perfect first time, just bash it out, you'll get there with time. Nirvana is a good place to start, Grohl never put a foot wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Try some Snow Patrol, some nice easy songs to go with there. Maybe Coldplay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

The White Stripes are an easy band to start off with. Hes a master guitarist but she is a bad drummer....theres never anything too complicated. e.g "Hardest Button to Button"

• Registered Users Posts: 22 huggy

Give us a bit more of what you're into. Arctic Monkeys have some terribly difficult grooves to master, not easy to get into for a beginner. If you want to though, look at Fluorescent Adolescent (complicated yes, but slow and tasty, so it will be rewarding).

Elsewhere, as El Pron said, Hash Pipe is a great starting song, most of Weezer is.

On top of this, I'd take a look at Californication onwards from the Chili Peppers. Chad Smith is a great example of keeping it subtly simple and I learned a great load from his style.

Whats in your CD player at the moment?

A bit of airborne toxic event , gaslight anthem , killers , kooks etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Anything by the killers would be a good starting point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Most pattern rock songs are easy, same cycle, often in eights on the hat usually, two and four on the snare and one and three on the bass drum. a little fill often thrown in at the last measure and a lift and close on the hats on the last 'and' and the start of the next measure.

So i would just got through your ipod and play along as long as you are in time with something. playing quarter notes duing a sixteenth pattern won't matter really because it's still in time. Soul music is a decent place to start and many great tunes there. Just fuk around and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 huggy

Right i've learned 1979 and is this it by the strokes and can play them fairly well........anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Michael Jacksons billie jean is a great song to get you grooving, simple beat and great for timing and getting you playing songs, can add or keep it simple !!

I use it warming up !!

Advertisement