Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've lost my buddy to world of warcraft

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

weiland79 wrote: »
    I haven't seen him online for about six months now, we used to do it all together. Company of heroes, Tiger woods, Call of duty, Killzone,PES......
    And now he's gone. Lost to the land of Goblins and Trolls. How can i get him to see there is more to life than endlessly roaming this world and get him back.......... I miss my friend.:(

A mate of mine has been playing it for 3 years now. We were in a seriously good band together and he threw it all away for WoW. He was also in Warpath - (an irish death metal band who were just starting up at the time and are now supporting the likes of Cannibal Corpse etc) but they kicked him out as he was always missing practise etc for WoW...

We stopped calling him/trying to get him to come out about a year ago... The odd time we try pop in to drag him out, but he barely even looks away from the bloody computer screen....
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've returned to WoW after some time off and have discovered my new calling in life as a resto druid.. Why do I feel embarrassed saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I never got to extreme levels of WOW addiction - never let it interfere with my social life, work or friends but it definately had a hold on me. I'd play it on my laptop in the living room while my housemates were watching TV but when I realised I'd amased 100 days or 2400 hours of in game playtime, I knew that was enough. Kind of embarassing really to spend that much time inside one game.

Getting a new laptop was actually an inspiration because I couldn't be arsed downloading and patching up to 18gb of game date again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I too managed to avoid any crazy addiction (i.e. losing friends) but i did spend a lot of time playing. I was looking at my account history last night for some reason, and i have spent over €500 just on the monthly subs. I know that many others will have spent far more, but it was interesting to see. And thats not including the actual price of the game, or any transfers i've done.

i got the game for a present a few years ago, i never even installed it as i didnt have a proper internet connection at the time... im so glad i didnt... sold it last month for a tenner,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I bought and started playing WoW a few months ago and for about 3 months i was addicted. Spent all my free time playing. Ended up getting bored of it and stopped about a month ago.

It's surprising how addictive it is though.

Also i've never had to deal with as many assholes on an online game as i did in WoW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It's not as addictive as people make out. It's just a really good game that's very social. I haven't logged in for a week. It's not that I'm bored, its just I have other stuff to do.

I find the more time you spend in the game in one period, the more frustrated and annoyed you get with it. Though I'm not the type to level up loads of characters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'm not sure if it's the game, I think some people just have addictive personalities, and if it wasn't wow, it'd be something else.

I never started playing it because I know if I did, I wouldn't stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

OP here

Must admit I'm slightly intruiged by this now:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Kiith wrote: »
    Just remember those hours of boredom waiting in Ironforge/Shattrath/Dalaran, those wolf paws that just wont drop even though they obviously have 4 paws when you kill them, the huge amount of retards, the swedish, gearscore, and all the other things that annoyed you about the game.

That generally works for me when i get a bit of an urge to return.

I never got into grinding for levels or leet gear drops.
    I played all the warcraft game and was pissed that the story would go on now in an mmo, so I set about exploring all the places from the other games and followed plots lines so it was being a tourist rather then falling into the trap of getting seriously invovled in a guild and running one like I did when I played EverQuest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Silverfish wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's the game, I think some people just have addictive personalities, and if it wasn't wow, it'd be something else.

I never started playing it because I know if I did, I wouldn't stop.

Oh it's a combination of both. Games are designed to be addictive.

It can be a fun game, once you don't go crazy playing 18 hours a day. Had a few friends that went down that route...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It was fun until they introduced Arenas. That killed WPvP which was pretty much the only reason I played. Got into PvE a bit after that, then they ****canned hunter trapping into the redundant zone and I wasn't bothered levelling up another char to try another playstyle.

that said, I do think I was mildly addicted for a good while to it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Is this a meeting of WA?
    Cos maybe I could do with a meeting, I've been clean like 15 months, totally not even installed and then my sister sent me a scroll of resurrection and I wasn't fussed but looked up my char in the treasury and kept thinking of all the fun and hours spent exploring and the places I haven't snuck into yet, and it's going to be a long summer with the kids of school and my new pc will make the game run a lot sweeter...
    halp!
    Come join the US realms, fight alongside Cheesebread and co. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

When I used to play it actually wasn't because I enjoyed the game, I enjoyed the social aspect, I enjoyed being an officer in my guild(I was the general organisational guy who did the nitty gritty, I enjoyed it mind), chatting with my "friends" I never really liked PVE (raids too way too much time, is that still the case? anything more than 2 hours is way too much) and always sucked at pvp. I have to say I have met some really great nice people on wow... weather they are they same in real life is another matter! But then I ended up spending way too much money and time on WoW. So I pretty much weaned myself off of WoW when a few of my guild mates decided to try a private server... That was fun, free and it satisfied the social aspect of it. Not great for anything else mind. Then when that server died I stopped playing. May pick it up again over the summer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Korvanica wrote: »
    A mate of mine has been playing it for 3 years now. We were in a seriously good band together and he threw it all away for WoW. He was also in Warpath - (an irish death metal band who were just starting up at the time and are now supporting the likes of Cannibal Corpse etc) but they kicked him out as he was always missing practise etc for WoW...

We stopped calling him/trying to get him to come out about a year ago... The odd time we try pop in to drag him out, but he barely even looks away from the bloody computer screen....
    :(

Damn....just check out Warpath on myspace (surprised I didn't know them). Freaking good sh1t!!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Overheal wrote: »
    Come join the US realms, fight alongside Cheesebread and co. :pac:

Can't the servers are separated and if you have an eu copy of the game you can't play on us servers :P

Hell I can't even remember what server I did play on.

sarumite wrote: »
    Damn....just check out Warpath on myspace (surprised I didn't know them). Freaking good sh1t!!!.
    Alls I knows is theres a warpath chapter on my realm, they are admittedly the tops. ****ing hordies.

/edit oh wait thats their main guild, on Nordrassil :)

Yes, we can't get Wintergrasp off those sheisters for nothing. Paradox and Hitchikers Guide are also big into their PvP on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Can't the servers are separated and if you have an eu copy of the game you can't play on us servers :P

Hell I can't even remember what server I did play on.

It might be out-of-date now, but wasn't it possible to change your game's region by going into a WTF file and doing an edit?

Yeah... this stuff:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=9023701101&sid=1
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Realmlist.wtf

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I stopped playin WoW when I realised I had no decent friends on it, and realised my friends in real life were more fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I got an invite to the Cataclysm Alpha, and strangely its stopped me playing, after about 3 weeks of alpha. Haven't logged in since. :S

This time around I haven't asked an old friend for a F&F key, as the last two times it spoilt the expansions for me. I want to enjoy this expansion like all the regular people when it comes out and I'm even staying away from the sites leaking too much info on it all too :pac:

FTGFOP wrote: »

thanks, ive been trying to find that for ages.... read it w ahile ago and wanted to show a mate...

Overheal wrote: »
    Alls I knows is theres a warpath chapter on my realm, they are admittedly the tops. ****ing hordies.

/edit oh wait thats their main guild, on Nordrassil :)

Yes, we can't get Wintergrasp off those sheisters for nothing. Paradox and Hitchikers Guide are also big into their PvP on the side.

he was talking about the band my mate was kicked from because he is addicted to WoW ... he was the lead guitarist, and was a serious riff machine.. (as in he could churn out UNREAL riffs like noone i've ever met...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Nehaxak wrote: »
    This time around I haven't asked an old friend for a F&F key, as the last two times it spoilt the expansions for me. I want to enjoy this expansion like all the regular people when it comes out and I'm even staying away from the sites leaking too much info on it all too :pac:

Me too.

Wotlk beta kind spoiled some of the surprises though it did tell rolling DK from warrior was a good idea.

Korvanica wrote: »
    thanks, ive been trying to find that for ages.... read it w ahile ago and wanted to show a mate...

he was talking about the band my mate was kicked from because he is addicted to WoW ... he was the lead guitarist, and was a serious riff machine.. (as in he could churn out UNREAL riffs like noone i've ever met...)
    oh. :P

Advertisement