Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

business wireless broadband (microwave etc)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb used to have 20Mbps and 100Mbps uncontended packages. Not cheap as it's not domestic.

You best to ring Airspeed, BT Wholesale and Digiweb. Not the sort of package you order off a web site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

watty wrote: »
    Digiweb used to have 20Mbps and 100Mbps uncontended packages. Not cheap as it's not domestic.

You best to ring Airspeed, BT Wholesale and Digiweb. Not the sort of package you order off a web site.

thanks for that, i just want to get in a rock solid connection..
    was the 20mbps digiweb connection just a fancy metro install?, i wonder did it go to the same mast...

just spotted metro pro 3 3mb up 3mb down 140gb allowance. problem is i cannot get standard metro due to LOS issues, does anyone know if metro pro goes to same antenna as standard metro?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

The cost will all come down to your location and the speed you want.

Typically these are licensed point-to-point connections which are pricey to install - around 6k.

If you are rural, it may involve a couple of "hops" to get to your location, so the cost increases.

If you give an indication of your location and bandwidth requirements, then you may get some indicative pricing

ingen wrote: »
    was the 20mbps digiweb connection just a fancy metro install, i wonder did it go to the same mast...

They are licensed point to point connections - the spectrum is fully licensed to you.

They install dedicated kit on the base-station and at your premises and license the spectrum via ComReg.

As mentioned, Digiweb, Airspeed are the big two - O2 have recently started these too

35notout wrote: »
    The cost will all come down to your location and the speed you want.

Typically these are licensed point-to-point connections which are pricey to install - around 6k.

If you are rural, it may involve a couple of "hops" to get to your location, so the cost increases.

If you give an indication of your location and bandwidth requirements, then you may get some indicative pricing

hi drogheda area

either 3mb up / down
    or 6mb up / down depending on price.. is there anywhere i can find out where these masts would be located, as to where the link dish would point to, would it be on comreg siteviewer

• Advertisement

was the 20mbps digiweb connection just a fancy metro install, i wonder did it go to the same mast...

No, it isn't wasn't Metro. That would be far too expensive*! It was dedicated link.

A Comreg licence for Point to Point is about €1,200 a year, so
    Install €5,000 to €30,000 depending on equipment, hops, dish sizes, speed.
    Monthly charge €200 to €10,000 depending on speed, SLA, traffic etc.

If you want > 100Mbps to 1GBps the hops are shorter and gear more expensive.

(*Though if you paid the whole cost of a Metro base and backhaul you could in theory have a very very nice connection. They might want €25,000 p.m. though!)

If price is a factor, then a point to point link is not for you - they cost well over 5k to install and for 3Mb you'd be paying at least 600-900 a month.

However if this is still a viable option, its worth contacting the ISP's for quotes.

I dont think you can get SDSL either in Drogheda unfortunately.

watty wrote: »
    No, it isn't wasn't Metro. That would be far too expensive*! It was dedicated link.

A Comreg licence for Point to Point is about €1,200 a year, so
    Install €5,000 to €30,000 depending on equipment, hops, dish sizes, speed.
    Monthly charge €200 to €10,000 depending on speed, SLA, traffic etc.

If you want > 100Mbps to 1GBps the hops are shorter and gear more expensive.

(*Though if you paid the whole cost of a Metro base and backhaul you could in theory have a very very nice connection. They might want €25,000 p.m. though!)

thanks

grand ill give them a call and request pricing.. hopefully i will be able to ditch the DSL soon as line too long for a decent speed.

hi drogheda area

either 3mb up / down
    or 6mb up / down depending on price.. is there anywhere i can find out where these masts would be located, as to where the link dish would point to, would it be on comreg siteviewer

No it wouldn't be on Comreg.

3Mbps and 6Mbps are too slow. Dedicated Microwave starts at about 10Mbps symmetrical. Virtually all professional Microwave is symmetric.

For 3Mbps symmetrical you want Breeze or Fixed WiMax domestic / business product. Not dedicated link. Digiweb Might be able to provide 3Mbps symmetrical (upload is trickier) at some Drogheda locations. They can probably do higher speed symmetrical point to point at some Drogheda locations, that would be a dedicated pay install in advance Business solution.

If you can afford it and the lines physically exist you can get bonded DSL. 4 lines = x4 speed. Magnet or Digiweb/Smart *might* do it. Likely significant install cost and of course x4 line rental. No eircom quantity discounts! Magent and Digiweb have a few LLU exchanges. On LLU the line rental might not be x4

Advertisement