Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only found out today...

• 13-06-2010 4:48pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

that I need a B3 in OL Maths for my course...:(

And the paper 1 friday went quite badly...:(

I had always thought I needed a C3 not a B3....

Really screwed now, was just after getting over the shock of how hard paper one was now this bombshell...FFS!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I know I'm in the same boat. :(
    So annoyed with myself. Did grand in the mocks so just didn't pay attention in class or do anything, I mean I had past all past papers done back about a decade by christmas. Figured I would have no problems.

Some of the questions were really tricky. I got a B in the mocks and was nearly hoping for an A this time around for 60 points in case I make a mess of something else. Not a hope.

Really hope for the sake of all the people like us that needs the subject at a certain grade that it will be a decent paper tomorrow.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Victoria. wrote: »
    I know I'm in the same boat. :(
    So annoyed with myself. Did grand in the mocks so just didn't pay attention in class or do anything, I mean I had past all past papers done back about a decade by christmas. Figured I would have no problems.

Some of the questions were really tricky. I got a B in the mocks and was nearly hoping for an A this time around for 60 points in case I make a mess of something else. Not a hope.

Really hope for the sake of all the people like us that needs the subject at a certain grade that it will be a decent paper tomorrow.

After paper 1 I'm expecting the worst, it sounds like they want to make OL harder and HL easier...:(

I hate this system, why do we need a B3 in Maths for a course with no maths at all...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I agree. Same with Irish aswell. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I don't know all of the maths teachers I talked to said it was a (beep) of a paper :(

It was suited to people who had moved down from honours they said. I was working up until the last 10 mins and was wrecked after geog. Some of the part Cs, my goodness. I nearly laughed. Wasn't what I signed up for.

I don't struggle usually with ordinary maths at all and I found it difficult in parts. A lot of people in my year doing ordinary failed the mock and I got a B so if I found it difficult I don't know how they got on which is unacceptable for ordinary. It should be a paper that the average ordinary student doing ordinary since 1st year should have been able to do.

I don't know what group of lunatics set it but I thought that project maths was developed to bridge the gap between the levels? And I believe that this years Higher paper was nice in comparison with other years. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Blushingblue

DB10 wrote: »
    that I need a B3 in OL Maths for my course...:(

And the paper 1 friday went quite badly...:(

I had always thought I needed a C3 not a B3....

Really screwed now, was just after getting over the shock of how hard paper one was now this bombshell...FFS!:eek:

The main thing to remember is Paper 1 is over now and nothing can be done about it, so concentrate on Paper 2.(Once both exams are over, you can reassess your feelings towards this.)Don't go into the exam feeling negative about it as that could put you off achieving your best in that paper. Start the paper like it's a new exam, don't go in thinking you need to get everything right and then feeling bad when something doesn't go your way as that can put you off the rest of the paper.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find Maths can be a difficult subject to predict your grade in. You could have all of the workings right and mess up at the end and get a wrong or no answer and think the worse.

Good luck with tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Ouch. Nasty finding that out now, but you shouldn't worry too much now, just focus on doing your best in every exam. Good luck, you can only do your best!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I've done my leaving two years ago.
    I found that ordinary level marked higher than I I expected. I needed a b3 for my course and was almost crying I thought paper 1 went that bad. paper 2 went average and I still got the B3.

paper 2 was much easier in my opinion. Make sure to do as much as you can, even if you can't do a question write down ANYTHING you know in the rough area. formulas, bits of the question you can do... they count. If you have the time after attempt extra questions, you might get more marks.

remember which formula are in the table book so you don't go learning them over again.

Advertisement