Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

camera mount!

• 13-06-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

hi all i was wondered goes any one film there spins went out on the bike?

if so what camera do you have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

I've a Flip. Does the job and not too worried about it getting damaged.

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Bargain Alerts forum, as ever, has the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

^^ Guy in work has one of those cameras. Excellent picture quality from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I got one of those MD80 cameras from ebay after somebody posted about them on here a few weeks back.

I intend to record some races with it but I've yet to devise a suitable way of MacGyvering it to my handlebars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

I got one of those MD80 cameras from ebay after somebody posted about them on here a few weeks back.

I intend to record some races with it but I've yet to devise a suitable way of MacGyvering it to my handlebars.

u must post something when u come up with a rig for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Got one of them MD80's myself. Havent tired it yet as I'm off the bike with an injury. I'm trying to figure out if its better to mount it to the helmet or bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Stokolan wrote: »
    Got one of them MD80's myself. Havent tired it yet as I'm off the bike with an injury. I'm trying to figure out if its better to mount it to the helmet or bike.

Mine arrived today, but I haven't ordered the tiny memory card yet, so I can't use it immediately. Any progress with mounting it on bike or on helmet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Nope.. Forgot to take mine out of my pocket and t went through the wash :/ Waiting for the next one to arrive..

Does anyone know the directory/naming structure for the MD80/DV 001 style cameras? I put a card from my Nokia phone into my new camera, and after using the reset button, it seems to be working normally - flashing red light when recording. However, when I hook it up by USB, I can't find any video files (though there is a bit of a mess of a directory structure there from the Nokia, so I could be missing something).

Where should I find the video file? What will it be called?

Does anyone know the directory/naming structure for the MD80/DV 001 style cameras? I put a card from my Nokia phone into my new camera, and after using the reset button, it seems to be working normally - flashing red light when recording. However, when I hook it up by USB, I can't find any video files (though there is a bit of a mess of a directory structure there from the Nokia, so I could be missing something).

Where should I find the video file? What will it be called?

OK, so I solved this problem by reformatting the memory card. There was a lot of stuff on the card from my Nokia phone that seemed to cause problems, so I wiped it out and started again.

But the little camera isn't really usable at all. The run time with a full battery charge is about 20-25 minutes, so this won't even cover my full commute. But worse again, the recording that is in progress when the battery runs out is lost, so you have to keep stopping and starting to save files onto the card, otherwise they get lost. The red and blue lights are not visible in any kind of daylight, so it is very hard to know when the thing is actually running. I can't see myself getting any real use from this. Is anyone else doing better than me with this yoke?

The eBay seller has offered my £5 GBP paypal credit as compensation, so I guess that's fair enough given the original cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I used some Polymorph plastic and a zip tie to mount one of these cameras on handlebars.

See pictures:

123842477-8a2a4aa3c9b70897e80522581942f82f.4c2dc6b0-full.jpg
    123843740-d0932a4449a47682f7802cd125c56aa1.4c2dc6b0-full.jpg

The solid section on the bottom has a hole drilled through it for a zip tie, and the side sections are thin enough to be flexible and allow the camera to be snapped in and out. Works very well!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycaprolactone

You soften the plastic in hot water (>62°c), form it with your hands, and let it cool.

I bought 1kg of the stuff from mutr.co.uk, but there are lots of other online retailers offering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Phaxx how much poly did you use for that, just trying to get an idea how 1kg gets me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Heh, I didn't use very much at all. 1kg might make you up to fifty of those little clips.

Grab 100-200g to start with, and you'll use it for lots of other stuff. Fantastically useful material, and you can always dunk it in hot water again and reform it.

I think boards.ie cyclists should go in together on 1kg and split it. :)

Advertisement