Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get a manageable pdf into a word document

• 13-06-2010 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I am putting my thesis together and wish to put the ethical approval letter that was sent to me via pdf (and in hard copy) into my appendix. I am using the snapshot tool and tried copy and paste as well (think they might be the same thing) and it does go in to the file, but it makes everything "choppy" - by this I mean its like it take 2-3 seconds for MS Word to be able to move through it with the sidebar - anyone know why this is? Could the file size be too large once copied over? It is only 119 kb as a pdf, 800 kb in a word document with nothing else in there.:o What else can I do - would I be better scanning in the hard copy maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,497 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MS Word tends not to be very good at handling images, although the more modern versions are better than the older versions.

A typical text page might only be 20kb, so 800kb will take a moment.

Potentially, save the letter as an image file (*.png is quite efficient, while maintaining accuracy). Create your entire document, then add the pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Victor wrote: »
    MS Word tends not to be very good at handling images, although the more modern versions are better than the older versions.

A typical text page might only be 20kb, so 800kb will take a moment.

Potentially, save the letter as an image file (*.png is quite efficient, while maintaining accuracy). Create your entire document, then add the pictures.

Thanks I'll try that and report back later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Or you can attach the PDF file as an object to your Word document.

In Word 2003, the option is Insert > Object > Adobe Acrobat Document. There is also a "display as icon" option. Works a treat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Note you can also use the "compress pictures" button in Word's picture toolbar to reduce the resolution, and therefore size, of embedded images... and the doc as a whole.

Also helps if you crop off any white space on the images' edges with the crop tool first, to get rid of unnecessary data when you then compress the images.

Thanks all by messing around with your suggestions, I was able to paste it (using special) as a windows bitmap image. There is still a bit of choppiness but much less. I will leave this til last to put in. I don't have Adobe Pro which is something I will have to invest in methinks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I use Foxit Reader for my pdf's its freeware and not as resource hungry as Adobe-it can also insert pdf into Word.Might be worth a look as an alternative.

zerks wrote: »
    I use Foxit Reader for my pdf's its freeware and not as resource hungry as Adobe-it can also insert pdf into Word.Might be worth a look as an alternative.

Actually I'll give this ago. Adobe is driving me insane with its constant updates. I turn them off every time but it keeps coming back telling me a new update is available :mad:

Advertisement