Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home alone?

Options
  • 13-06-2010 6:44pm

Quick question..

At what age is it considered to leave a child alone at home for a short while, for example, to go shopping etc. not overnight!

My son is now eleven and I believe he is mature enough to leave in the house while we go shopping, the wife thinks it's illegal.

Where does the law stand on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Your wife is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

It is NOT illegal. However, if the child came to any harm, you could both be charged with child neglect.

Whether or not it's a good idea depends on the child, and the time away.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2005/11/11/story727405466.asp
    (Article is a little dated, but afaik the law hasn't changed regarding this)

FYI, here's a thread previously posted which covers similar topic.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055308242

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'd imagine it would depend on the maturity of the child. I was 12, if I remember correctly. You could try a one or two hour shopping trip, while making sure they can call you on in the event of an emergency and not to open the door to any callers at 11-years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

i left my 11yr at home , he has his mobile fone so i was always txt,n him , he was grand , never over two hours would i leave him. he is now 13 since saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was around 11-12, but mobile phones make a big difference these days as you can be reached in an instant.

I can't see that it would be an issue for a short time as long as, as people have said already, that the child is mature and doesn't leave the house or answer the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

i was babysitting at 11 but it all depends on the childs maturity my sisters now 12 but my parents wouldnt trust her to babysit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

I was a babysitter at -10 in Manchester. Parents went out for night out at weekends. The amount of after the 'watershed' stuff I was exposed to by the media was eye opening to say the least.

It did fuel my imagination though I have to say;)

Saying that I was very responsible by design as the eldest of 9 siblings. It gave me good stead as an eventual parent. Early responsibility for oneself and others was not a bad thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

In Ireland there is no minimum age at wich a child can be left home alone, but if the child has an accident you could be done for neglect.

There is also no minimum age in which a child can be left home alone to mind their younger siblings.

Also if the government thinks its ok for a 13 year old to stay at home for 8 hours a day unsupervised i think its almost safe to say an 11 year old can stay at home alone for a short time.

The best idea is to phone the garda station and ask them.

this is on the citizens advice website

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd say it depends on the child. If he/she is mature for their age and sensible and can be trusted to act appropriately then perhaps yes. If there was an emergency would the child know what to do? Would they be flustered if someone called to the door and pretended to be someone (salesperson, garda etc) to get access to the house?

If the child is immature for their age or babyish or even plain nervous then I wouldn't leave them alone.

I was babysitting at 12 but then again I was considered quite mature and sensible for my age. My younger brother was still being treated like a baby at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The best idea is to phone the garda station and ask them.

The Gardai often have a poor understanding of the less common laws. I'm not knocking the Gardai, but they are not exactly experts in all areas of law.

If a definitive answer is needed, then a solicitor is the best person to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Also if the government thinks its ok for a 13 year old to stay at home for 8 hours a day unsupervised

Do they? too busy to keep up with the ol' current affairs these days.

Purely from a non-legal perspective 11 is borderline IMO. We had this debate with ourselves this time last year (when our youngfella was 11). He's 12 now (nearly 13) and I'd happily leave him alone in the house now for extended periods (more than an hour) if we were going shopping and he wanted to watch a match or whatever. At the time we decided that he was grand for a few minutes here or there but we would always beat it into his head that if there was a problem just to get out of the house, not to answer the door to strangers...etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

If a definitive answer is needed, then a solicitor is the best person to ask.

A solicitor cant give a definite answer as there is no minimum age, if the law had a minimum age then we would all know. Its left down to the parents to decide when their child is ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Khannie wrote: »
    Do they? too busy to keep up with the ol' current affairs these days.

You need to take a peek at the thread re ending lone parents payment when the child turns 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You need to take a peek at the thread re ending lone parents payment when the child turns 13.
    I got the impression that a few on that thread would still argue passionately that their child would still need supervision at 40 if it meant the money coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

But to answer her question.....

Yes if you think you can trust them then yes.
    Probably best if you try it for an hour during the day rather than when its dark!

Do it for an hour, then two etc.....

Should be no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

coldest day of 2010...home alone 8 year old out in a football jersey

and bullying

his father the know all wind bag had made some parenting observations in my direction some months earlier

clown:pac:

Advertisement