Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shih tzu grooming

Options
  • 13-06-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am hoping to get a puppy in the next few months. Since I want a small dog I am researching a few of the toy breeds and one of the front runners is a shih tzu. I would want to keep the dogs hair short and I was wondering if any shih tzu owners could tell me how often they have to be groomed, I have read that it is usually about every six weeks and what are the general costs of said grooming.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Bring it to a groomers at 16 weeks. After that about every 2 to 3 months. It will cost about 40 euro each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Bring it to a groomers at 16 weeks. After that about every 2 to 3 months. It will cost about 40 euro each time.

Okay thanks very much thats great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

You'll need a slicker brush & brush daily, even tho you'll be keeping the coat short the hair will still matt easily & curl.

Between grooming you may need to cut the hair around the eyes yourself & also there is hair that curls & grows into the ears, that has to be cut also.

Make sure you have a groomer that has come recommended to you & will do as you ask so as to have the dog looking as you would like & each time you bring the dog to be groomed ask which groomer will be grooming the dog .... I had a terrible incident with one who mutilated the dog as they had taken on a new staff member unware to me & she did everything they were told not too, poor dog didn't even look like a shih-tzu!

I just groom him myself now, he's not bothered about me clipping him cos he got used to it down the groomers, he just sits there lol very handy

Advertisement