Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D model blueprints

Options
  • 13-06-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Ive been learning how to model characters using Maya through different tutorials. Im at the stage i want to start working on different computer game characters and have noticed a lack of blueprints online. Not sure this is for trade mark reasons.

Anyway just wanted to throw up a post in case anyone knew of a good website for computer game character blueprints or any good tutorials for designing your own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

You dont have to use blueprints. If you're looking to just get experience Id recommend trying to model any decent drawings you can get hold of. I modelled a few Tim Burton character sketches from concept art he did. They werent drawn to be modelled and the perspective on them wasnt quite right so they presented a good challenges. Great experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

So maybe just use a front view of a character and shape the side view on the fly? Ok, ill give that a go.

Tbh i wanted both a front and side view because itll be my first non-tutorial model.

Thanks for advise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

I prefer it then just using set in stone reference materials. It requires you to think a bit more, plus if its a sketch that wasnt done with the intention of being modelled it will probably have more organic and challenging shapes. Doing a few models from that kind of sketch was hugely beneficially to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

The tutorials i've done had those set in stone blueprints. Im working on something at the moment but find it hard without a side view...but will keep at it till i get better. Thanks for your advice.

Also goin to practice doing some blueprints myself of my own designs.

Thanks for your advice.

Advertisement