Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE: Buying a house near Killiney Hill

Options
  • 13-06-2010 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the Killiney Hill area near the Shanganagh roundabout is like? We are thinking about buying a house in this area but have heard some bad stories about the surrounding areas such as Ballybrack and Shanganagh Cliffs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where is the Shanganagh Roundabout?

Be careful, the area has a high concentration of celebrities and swimming pools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

What's the name of the estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MonkeyTail

We were actually looking at two different estates one was called Bayview Crescent and the other one was called Castle Court. Anyone know anything about these estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

both absolutly grand. Bayview is where my girlfriend is from, am down there regularly. nice estate, always kids out playing on the greens etc. Direct access to the beach.

Very militant residents association though.

From my experience Bayview Cresent and that end of the estate are very slightly more downmarket than the northern end (thats just my opinion though)

Never reaally been in Castle court but never heard a bad word about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

MonkeyTail wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the Killiney Hill area near the Shanganagh roundabout is like? We are thinking about buying a house in this area but have heard some bad stories about the surrounding areas such as Ballybrack and Shanganagh Cliffs.

Well I suppose it's relative to where you're coming from really!

A friend of mine lives in Bayview and the estate itself is a nice one, but across the road you have Cromlech fields which is pretty poor.
    However, they've never experienced a break-in (or anything else "bad" as far as i know). It's also a pretty young estate, which is great for both kids and parents.
    My other mate who lives up Killiney hill road, closer to Ballybrack, has experienced numerous break-ins though. Ballybrack is a dive IMO, but for whatever reason, bayview seems to be immune from it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've got some friends in Seafield ( a bit further up I know) and that's pretty nice, its just miles from anywhere.

I think Ballybrack is given a much worse name than it deserves. My in laws live in Oakton and they never have any trouble whatsoever. There are a few gobby kids around the place, but the parents are a bit old school. Any of them give an adult any lip and they get a cuff round the head and grounded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

My other mate who lives up Killiney hill road, closer to Ballybrack, has experienced numerous break-ins though. Ballybrack is a dive IMO, but for whatever reason, bayview seems to be immune from it!

Ballybrack is fine.

I think you may be mixing Ballybrack and Loughlinstown up though.

Loughlinstown is a god awful dump. I apologise to anyone who lives there who may be offended by this, but I think even they would agree with me.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Lets Not entirely Sterotype everyone

You can get a few Rough Area's around the Ballybrack/Loughlinstown/Killiney mesh, But for the whole place, and i think almost everyone can agree, its hardly the worst place to raise a family. I lived there from 2 till 23 and Never once experianced any serrious crime. (yeah, you get the odd bit of petty crime, but you get that everywhere)

Bayview Crescent is quite nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Iv lived in Ballybrack all my life, never had a problem.

I would recommend Bayview instead of Castle Court. The houses are much better.

I am also looking to buy In Bayview in the near future....I hope you are not eyeing up the same house that I am!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

benwavner wrote: »

I'm from the area my whole life too, I don't think you'd have a problem in either estate.

I would recommend Bayview instead of Castle Court. The houses are much better.

They're €100k+ more expensive, so I'd hope they are...

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=500851
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=469146
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=398693

I am also looking to buy In Bayview in the near future....I hope you are not eyeing up the same house that I am!! :eek:

Is it one of the above?? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭lizzie09

I lived in Bayview Lawns just after they were built in 1981
    It was my first house 50 Bayview Lawns

They were lovely houses and we had a great time there..no prob
    with neighbours, kids or anything and the green is a great asset too

I often think back on life there as it was such a pretty place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭lizzie09

Just thought I would add that we bought it for 31,750 pounds from Dwyer
    Nolan who were great builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Bayview is a nice area, although there is not a chance in the world i'd pay €450k for a bed semi there!

-Chris- wrote: »
    I'm from the area my whole life too, I don't think you'd have a problem in either estate.

They're €100k+ more expensive, so I'd hope they are...

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=500851
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=469146
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=398693

Is it one of the above?? :P

Nope none of the above....tis this one!

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/3-bayview-drive-killiney-co-dublin/226591

Just 1 of many that I am looking at. Although I do agree with others that the asking prices are still mental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It was called "The Brack" back then. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Lived in the area my life too. There isn't major trouble in the area.

Ballybrack/Shankhill/Loughlinstown all have rough and nice areas.
    As it happens, Bayview is pretty close to some of the rough areas but the estate itself is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

I was house hunting in the area a while ago and had a look at two houses in bayview. I thought they were really nice and the area seemed really quiet. Altho a bit of a hike to the nearest shop if you are walking... They are both nice areas, but I was a bit worried about being over reliant on the car. Ended up buying on the other side of Killiney in watson :D

It was called "The Brack" back then. :p

Ha, Im still here...

...and yeah its still "The Brack"!!!

Or

"South Killiney" as some people like to call it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I live in bayview, it's grand nice location. shops aren't to far. the walls of the houses are a bit thin. loads of kids in the area, so its great for young family. have been living there for abotu 2 years now and have no problem. also looked at castlecourt and founf the houses to be to small and the parking etc to tight.

its great having the access to the beach, the misses is always taking the young one down there during the day.

just to add i'm currently renting there adn am looking to buy shortly. since we moved in the houses have dropped by over 100k so i reckon i've said over 80k by choosing to rent. :)

Advertisement