Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Force Unleashed 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Aye, reviews mean **** all. Now mroe than ever, alot of its jsut trying to be controversial or reviews jsut being down on a game cause they dont like the series or whatever. Its just one persons opinion, not the gospel.
    TFU1 was great, imo. flawed, but the story was excellent, honest to god better than any of the bloody prequel movies, tho thats not saying much. And aside from the stupid pulling a star destroyer out of the sky bit, it was enjoyable. Put it this way, i enjoyed it about a million times more than bollocks like bayonetta or God of war 3, 2 of my most hated games this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kotaku put up a video of the
    Dagobah
    level in this, they were so annoyed by it - you take a few steps forward, enter a cave, watch a cutscene, and leave. :pac:

Think I'll be avoiding this. It's a great concept, and the technology is there to realise it, but the first game had the most frustrating level design around. I strongly disliked it, so a sequel would have had to get amazing reviews to fool me twice. This doesn't sound like an improvement (although it looks amazing). I liked the demo, but it looks like that's about as deep as the gameplay gets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

TheTosh wrote: »
    Why can't they make another Knights of the Old Republic game?, Stars Wars game at its best imo
    They are, it's an mmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Answer them better if they released kotor 2. You know....like all of it. Intact. Like a full game. Without giant chunks missing from it.

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't know how people liked the first Force Unleashed. It was a beyond bland. I guess if you put stormtroopers and Darth Vader into anything any horrendous game design flaws can be forgiven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The first one is a 25 gigabyte install on the PC. I bought it in a sale on Steam and still haven't installed it because to be honest that just smacks of laziness on the part of the developers. I dread to think what the game itself is actually like if they developers don't even bother compressing their media files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I guess if you put stormtroopers and Darth Vader into anything any horrendous game design flaws can be forgiven.

You wonder how many times a LucasArts producer has been faced with design problems and simply said "Just add more stormtroopers". A lot I would say :)

Remember when this studio made Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle. How the mighty have fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Alright Folks,
    Is anyone getting this tomorrow or is everyone too busy playing Fallout?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meh, it's not great. I'd rent, no need to pay full whack.

It controls better than the first one, but the story and level design aren't as fun or good looking.

In fact, the whole story is horribly put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TobesYid

D/L'ed the demo.
    Fairly repetitive IMO, no need to buy, got the gist of it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

There's already a 3 page thread for this game on this same page...

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't know how people liked the first Force Unleashed. It was a beyond bland. I guess if you put stormtroopers and Darth Vader into anything any horrendous game design flaws can be forgiven.

Don't forget lightsabres! :)

It wasn't great, no denying it. But I also don't think it was that bad. I've played far worse games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, it's amazing what lightsabers and star wars music can do for a fairly bland game. I enjoyed the first, regardless of it's flaws. Cause of, well, lighstabers and stuff :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

enjoyed the first...sure there was some flaws but a great story...
    definitely getting the second one at least to pass till Black Ops comes out..
    I wouldn't mind if they remade Jedi Knight for the xbox..second one was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

If anyone gets it, let us know what sort of deals\editions are out there. Heard a rumour HMV was giving away something with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The story in the original was excellent, with good acting and brilliant cut scenes. The game itself was fun if uninspired. compared to other 'amazing' 10/10 games of similar genre like 'OMG ITS SO WACKY AND JAPANESE' Bayonetta i know which one id take any day, and im not even a big star wars fan.

Shame tho as it seems like the story has been totally gimped in TFU2 which means all thats left is the dated gameplay, so i probably wont be picking it up unless its 15 quid or less.

If anyone gets it, let us know what sort of deals\editions are out there. Heard a rumour HMV was giving away something with it.

apparently they're giving away a lightsaber with it :D
    not a real one though :(
    must pop down during lunch and pick it up..will keep ye posted on the deals

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The story in the original was excellent, with good acting and brilliant cut scenes. The game itself was fun if uninspired. compared to other 'amazing' 10/10 games of similar genre like 'OMG ITS SO WACKY AND JAPANESE' Bayonetta i know which one id take any day, and im not even a big star wars fan.

Shame tho as it seems like the story has been totally gimped in TFU2 which means all thats left is the dated gameplay, so i probably wont be picking it up unless its 15 quid or less.

Barring the storyline and presentation, TFU had pretty much nothing going for it. It was moderately fun when taking on hordes of stormtroopers, maybe, but even then the groups were never as big as you'd like and they kept breaking it up with badly designed other enemies. Then the bosses, which were out and out broken.

Compare that with Bayonetta, which has a wonderfully intuitive combat system that is full of intricacies, inspired level design, bosses that are not only epic but beautifully designed and inventive, tonnes of replayability, stunning presentation, and a sense of humour (a must in a game so ludicrous - TFU was a bit too po-faced in comparison). TFU perhaps had more snappy and engaging cutscenes - Bayonetta's did tend to meander on for too long towards the end - but that's the only thing it did better. A broken, shallow game vs the most inspired third person third person action game of this console generation?

But as you say, the second doesn't even have the single thing that made the first worth playing through - a compelling narrative. I honestly can't understand how it could be preferable to Bayonetta in anyway, if they even deserve comparisons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's no accounting for taste and people wonder why bad licensed games keep being made? For me Bayonetta was 'OMG it's so ****ing good?'. TFU was killing the same enemies over and over in boring levels and god awful bosses.

In fairness, he did say the gameplay in TFU was uninspired. He seemed to be citing story as being more important for himself.

• Advertisement

In fairness, he did say the gameplay in TFU was uninspired. He seemed to be citing story as being more important for himself.

That's fair enough I guess, but celebrating mediocre (at best) games over ones that have genuinely engaging, fine tuned and innovative gameplay seems odd to me personally! I fully agree the story in TFU was well told, but this sequel by all accounts is meant to be far inferior. So how it is preferrable to Bayonetta I fail to see, just a strange argument IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Well that HMV rumour b*ll*x, still tho its a fiver cheper than g.spot.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I could not get into Bayonetta at all. Just did nothing for me.

As for The Force Unleashed 1, the story was decent bar the god awful last line of dialogue, gameplay was passable to me, just good enough to make me want to see what happens next.

I hear TFU 2 story is ass though and the gameplay is more or less the same and on top of that, its very short. I'll give it a pass this time round.

That's fair enough I guess, but celebrating mediocre (at best) games over ones that have genuinely engaging, fine tuned and innovative gameplay seems odd to me personally! I fully agree the story in TFU was well told, but this sequel by all accounts is meant to be far inferior. So how it is preferrable to Bayonetta I fail to see, just a strange argument IMO!

All very true! :) tbh it seems like one of those subjective situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Bayonetta I loved initially due to its OTT ridiculous style and then I got into the gameplay and loved that too. The original Force Unleashed was the other way around with terrible gameplay. The demo of SWTFU2 while possessing awesome graphics fails in every other department. The story is rubbish, everything explodes for no reason and somehow tie fighters are still less threatening than a man with a shield. The targetting system is wonky, always seeming to target the nearest thing rather than what I'm pointing at. Bayonetta may not have lightsabres but it does have an awesome samurai sword much more effective than the lightsabres in this game.

This series wouldn't exist without the licence as it makes no friends with its gameplay, most people happy that it's competant while enjoying the idea of messing with Vader more than the game itself.

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    apparently they're giving away a lightsaber with it :D
    not a real one though :(
    must pop down during lunch and pick it up..will keep ye posted on the deals

nah...no lightsaber :(

but HMV are a fiver cheaper than gamestop for the standard edition..
    I got the collection edition, extra co-op maps, a green crystal, some art and a 2gb usb stick with themes for pc/mac for €60...
    I'm a sucker for collector editions :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I've always loved most starwars games, but the first one was major meh. I actually thought for the story to progress at some stages i was to lose to the bosses they were that stupidly hard.

I know i'll buy this but not at full price, i'll wait till it's down to 20 quid soon after Christmas.

I remember a time when you bought a lucasarts star wars game it practically a seal of quality :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Same could be said for most companies recently. I think Valve and Bioware are the only two companies that i have absolute trust in these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

What price would you pay for the 1st one, can't find it anywhere

Advertisement