Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many words?pages must the irish essay be?

• 13-06-2010 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

2-2.5 depending on your writing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I think you're supposed to aim for about 600 words. And I was told that should be 2-2.5 pages but my writing is TINY so I could easily get it in on a page, but that looks really short so I'm making my writing as large as possible tomorrow.

500-600 words is what the exam paper advises, anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 iano1

i thought it was 150 words for ordinary irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I do 2-3. Most people are similar, I think. I know a guy who does 4-5 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭0.M.GXX

at least 3 pages.. for honours that is..!!!
    BEST of luck every1!!!!
    praying politics comes up.. the only thin i know...!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Has to be 3/4s of a page for ordinary Irish. Basically a couple of paragraphs. The joys of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

2-3 pages. Remember only 20 out of 100 marks go for the actual topic in the essay, the other 80 goes for grammer so there isn't need for a pile of information, your more than likely to make more mistakes that way and end up losing marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Ah poop, the essays I've been doing are just under two pages. I did one this evening on politicians and whatnot which ended up at about 1 and 3/4 pages, packed full of phrases and fancy words.

Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

for most essays i do 5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Ah poop, the essays I've been doing are just under two pages. I did one this evening on politicians and whatnot which ended up at about 1 and 3/4 pages, packed full of phrases and fancy words.

Ah well.

That's actually fine, I go to a Gaelscoil and we only do 2 pages. Just as long as it's packed with fancy stuff you are grand. Going over 2.5 pages is actually really bad because you are more likely to make more mistakes and therefore lose marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

pa4 wrote: »
    2-3 pages. Remember only 20 out of 100 marks go for the actual topic in the essay, the other 80 goes for grammer so there isn't need for a pile of information, your more than likely to make more mistakes that way and end up losing marks!

Then how come if you write an "off topic" essay you get 0 instead of 80? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

80 marks for topic

20 marks for grammar which is a bit strange considering they are testing how well you know the language!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Mick Daly wrote: »
    80 marks for topic

20 marks for grammar which is a bit strange considering they are testing how well you know the language!

Sadly you've got that mixed up. 20 marks for topic and 80 marks for grammar! It's a paper about grammar, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

That's actually fine, I go to a Gaelscoil and we only do 2 pages. Just as long as it's packed with fancy stuff you are grand. Going over 2.5 pages is actually really bad because you are more likely to make more mistakes and therefore lose marks.

Did two and a bit today in the "i mbeal na phobail" essay, I strung it around politicians and how they're always in the news because that was pretty much the essay I prepared. Tried to throw in as much fancy phrases as possible, but of course I forgot many by the time I was in there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 missmichelle91

any advice on the length for tha paper 2 hons stuff like the hons poems!??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

any advice on the length for tha paper 2 hons stuff like the hons poems!??:D

For every 5 marks write a quarter of a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

For every 5 marks write a quarter of a page.

Thats 5 pages overall!! :O
    This isnt english. :p

I wrote 2 1/4 pages... Counted up my words at the end and was about 640 words so im grand

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Every 12 marks a page that's what I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

500-600 words.
    I wrote about 2 pages and a half.
    568 words to be exact. I had time left over. :pac:

edit: I only read the thread title and thought you were talking about paper 1.
    anyway, for poetry, i usually write about 2 pages for higher poems and page and half for ordinary poems.
    For the short stories about 2.5 - 3 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 missmichelle91

woah right! thanks:D
    and also how long should you spend on the short stories like lig sinn.. ceist A!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

The exam paper specifically states you must not go over 500-600 words. Read it XD

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Oh i was answering someone who wanted to know how much to write for paper two, sorry about the confusion! :)

Advertisement