Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over the rainbow...the DCM finish line

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Emer911 wrote: »
    Just take it slow and you'll do fine. It's all supposed to be fun, right? :D

Running and fun - nope they don't belong in the same sentence :rolleyes:. What pace are you doing your slow runs at and any tips for slowing down? I'm thinking 4:15 - 4:30 so about 10:30-10:45?
    jcsmum wrote: »
    I see you have a 9LSR scheduled for Saturday. I need to go lie down. I can't imagine running that far.
    My times may be improving but my distance is well behind yours. :)

Trust me I'll be needing to lie down before, during and after that run!! Thinking I might do the race series 10 miler route for it and walk the last mile...well that's the plan anyway.

Hi Shazkea

Best of luck with the training for DCM. I'm also in RK's mentored thread and find it very useful. I'm a week behind yourself and just did the 4 miles with 2 miles at PMP.

Have you signed up for the adidas series? Best of luck with the LSR this weekend, like yourself this will be the furthest I've ever run come next weekend.

Cheers for that. Yeah I'm finding the log and monitored thread great too - not sure I'd stick to the plan without them tbh. How is your training going?

I have signed up for the race series and prob going to sign up for the Athlone 3/4 too (20 miler). I would only use that for the 20 mile lsr though and think it might be good to experience a race that long. I haven't signed up for the marathon yet but will do that after the 5 miler. How about you what are you planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

shazkea wrote: »
    What pace are you doing your slow runs at and any tips for slowing down? I'm thinking 4:15 - 4:30 so about 10:30-10:45?

I use the McMillan Running Calculator as a guideline.

So for my pace runs I'd aim for:
    for 04:30:00 10:19 /mi
    for 04:15:00 09:44 /mi

and for my LSR's
    for 4:30:00 from 10:49 to 11:49 /mi
    for 4:15:00 from 10:14 to 11:14 /mi

Depending on the day I decide on the 4:15 or 4:30 paces... some days feel closer to 5:00 though :rolleyes:

Mr Higdon suggests that your long runs should be at a pace 45 to 90 seconds per mile slower than your marathon pace.

As for 'how to slow down'... I generally don't have any problem with that :p
    But I use a garmin and keep my eye on the pace. And when there's a lot of miles ahead, I know I'll be in a world of pain if I go too fast :D That thought alone proves a great restraint!

I use the McMillan Running Calculator as a guideline.

So for my pace runs I'd aim for:
    for 04:30:00 10:19 /mi
    for 04:15:00 09:44 /mi

and for my LSR's
    for 4:30:00 from 10:49 to 11:49 /mi
    for 4:15:00 from 10:14 to 11:14 /mi

Depending on the day I decide on the 4:15 or 4:30 paces... some days feel closer to 5:00 though :rolleyes:

Mr Higdon suggests that your long runs should be at a pace 45 to 90 seconds per mile slower than your marathon pace.

As for 'how to slow down'... I generally don't have any problem with that :p
    But I use a garmin and keep my eye on the pace. And when there's a lot of miles ahead, I know I'll be in a world of pain if I go too fast :D That thought alone proves a great restraint!

Emer, you're a star - thanks a million for that, I really appreciate it. I actually didn't realise you should go that slow in the lsr's - I thought it would def have to be around 10:30 ish. Will put your advice to good use on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Cheers for that. Yeah I'm finding the log and monitored thread great too - not sure I'd stick to the plan without them tbh. How is your training going?

I have signed up for the race series and prob going to sign up for the Athlone 3/4 too (20 miler). I would only use that for the 20 mile lsr though and think it might be good to experience a race that long. I haven't signed up for the marathon yet but will do that after the 5 miler. How about you what are you planning?

The training is going good so far but there's a long way to go yet. I'm not doing the 5 miler, have signed up for the 10 and the half but not the full yet, hopefully I will at the end of the month.

The 3/4 could be used as an alternative to a 20 mile lsr, might give it a go, it's a guaranteed PB. :)

• Advertisement

Whooopppeee just finished doing the Rocky dance here - shame I didn't have Eye of the Tiger playing in the background!! 3 miles tonight and first time to do all 3 miles under 9 minutes each. :D Big milestone for me and I'm really happy with that. It seems only a short time ago that I was so happy doing my miles first under 11 minutes and then 10 mins. Gotta love progress!

Summary (will cherish writing this!)
    Distance: 3.01
    Time: 26:24
    Avg Pace: 08:46
    Splits: 1) 08:57 2) 08:35 3) 08:45

BTW I'm ignoring the fact I had a face like a tomato afterwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

The training is going good so far but there's a long way to go yet. I'm not doing the 5 miler, have signed up for the 10 and the half but not the full yet, hopefully I will at the end of the month.

Im in the sub 4:30 thread too but havnt actually signed up for the marathon yet, wonder if there is many of us who havnt?

Congrats on your running today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Whooopppeee just finished doing the Rocky dance here - shame I didn't have Eye of the Tiger playing in the background!! 3 miles tonight and first time to do all 3 miles under 9 minutes each. :D Big milestone for me and I'm really happy with that. It seems only a short time ago that I was so happy doing my miles first under 11 minutes and then 10 mins. Gotta love progress!

Summary (will cherish writing this!)
    Distance: 3.01
    Time: 26:24
    Avg Pace: 08:46
    Splits: 1) 08:57 2) 08:35 3) 08:45

BTW I'm ignoring the fact I had a face like a tomato afterwards!!

Great running fair play keep up the good work. It is great to see these milestones because you get a great return for your hard work. It will get easier in time and the times will continue to improve and the distance increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

beamgirl wrote: »
    Im in the sub 4:30 thread too but havnt actually signed up for the marathon yet, wonder if there is many of us who havnt?

Um, that would be me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Um, that would be me :o

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Entry cost goes up at the end of the month! Go on, sign up today, you know you want to, go on, do it, do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

RayCun wrote: »
    do it, do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

Is there an echo in here?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

do it
    do it

do it

do it
    do it
    do it
    do it

Ah, we've 3 weeks to decide - plenty of time :cool:

RayCun wrote: »
    Entry cost goes up at the end of the month! Go on, sign up today, you know you want to, go on, do it, do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

Yep you're absolutely right - I've done enough faffing around about sign-up and time to step up.

So I've just signed up there....:eek:...oh crap I think I need to go and lie down with the fright......what have I done!

Right cmon the rest of ye...

Well done you!!

Right behind ya! (or maybe not):o

I signed up! Honest! :D:eek:
    I'm sitting here, questioning my wisdom and sanity but also with a big grin on my face. I'm secretly excited. Would love to do a sub 4:30.

Bring it ON!

I'm sitting here, questioning my wisdom and sanity but also with a big grin on my face. I'm secretly excited. Would love to do a sub 4:30.

Bring it ON!

Brilliant another nutter has joined our ranks ;)... Sign up to the mentored thread for the sub 04:30 novices, Rainbow Kirby and Hal H are doing a great job in whipping our butts into shape!

About 13500 entries already if my bib number is anything to go by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done to the brave souls that have signed up... I'm nut sure I'm ready to take that leap yet :o

Edited..... lol... that typo is so apt I'm going to leave it in:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Bring it ON!

Ya big brave mentallist!!
    Have you told your dh or will he read it here first like I did with my Dh?? :D

More power to you, Run like a Mother!

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    Well done to the brave souls that have signed up... I'm nut sure I'm ready to take that leap yet :o

Edited..... lol... that typo is so apt I'm going to leave it in:o

Talk about a Freudian slip there alright - very apt as you say :). When are you signing up??

LSR plan today was 9 miles. So I thought I would go the Phoenix Park and do the 10 mile race route - run 9 miles and then walk the last mile as a cool down.

It was also an exercise in controlling my pace. Because it was absolutely piddling for alot of the miles, the natural reaction is to run faster to get home quicker. My target was to keep to around 11 min pace and I was fairly on target with pace ranging from 10:35 - 11:03.

I'm shocked that I'm writing this but I really enjoyed this run - nice easy pace and a good route. Military Road and the Glen hills were better than I expected tbh and just took them nice and easy. Hope that works next week too!!!

So when the watch beeped for 9 miles done, I thought flip it, I'm feeling good so let's finish the 10 mile route - so I did. Yay me! longest training run ever with no walk breaks needed...

Summary:
    Distance 10:03
    Time: 1:48:33
    Pace: 10:49

Well done you, that must have been so satisfying! :D

Ya big brave mentallist!!
    Have you told your dh or will he read it here first like I did with my Dh?? :D

More power to you, Run like a Mother!

I told DH over the phone - he said I was crazy, but then said 'but I'm your biggest fan'.
    Ah schucks.:D
    I'd say I'm going to drive him insane between now and October!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Great running shazkea!
    Double digit milestone met, roll on the rest!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Good running Shazkea - looks like the training is coming along nicely.

Well done you, that must have been so satisfying! :D
    Great running shazkea!
    Double digit milestone met, roll on the rest!:D
    Good running Shazkea - looks like the training is coming along nicely.

Cheers guys, yeah so far so good but very early days yet. At least I know I can finish the Frank Duffy run now - just need to shave about 15 mins off that time!!

Hope your LSR's went well this weekend too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

just need to shave about 15 mins off that time!!

no bother to you shazkea.. you'll take that time off easily in a race. I did a 10 miler in 1.40 back in March with much less preparation so you'll fly it.
    I going to wait to see how I can manage the long runs (and feel afterwards) and see how the Half goes before I sign up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Just reading your log shazkea, great running on hitting the 10 mile milestone. Plus well done on signing up for DCM, I'm still holding off on that one!

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    no bother to you shazkea.. you'll take that time off easily in a race. I did a 10 miler in 1.40 back in March with much less preparation so you'll fly it.
    I going to wait to see how I can manage the long runs (and feel afterwards) and see how the Half goes before I sign up.

Cheers LB, that was a good time in March with less prep. You'll be flying in Aug so.
    DigiJem wrote: »
    Just reading your log shazkea, great running on hitting the 10 mile milestone. Plus well done on signing up for DCM, I'm still holding off on that one!

Thanks, it did feel good to hit that milestone - purely a mental thing really. I don't blame you for waiting on sign-up for DCM, it makes it very real when you get that confirmation e-mail. I went from being elated at signing up to "omg what I have done" when I saw the confirmation e-mail coming in!!

Advertisement