Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over the rainbow...the DCM finish line

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Cheers for the good wishes everyone and yep it felt good. Really wanted to do that Rocky dance around the gym but thought it might be a bit over the top for only 2 miles!!

Decided to play it safe this eve and not run. Instead I tired out my new Pilates dvd (Pilates for Dummies - nope not kidding on that one!) Complete newbie to Pilates and man I worked up a sweat with that - certainly different to my normal slog it out on the xtrainer.

Wow had to go fishing for this log as it's been a while since I posted.

So in summary rest of week for a rollercoaster. Completed a 3 mile run which I was estatic about and then all came crashing down on Friday again. I tried another 3 miles and had to quit after a mile as injury flared up again. On analysis other runs were completed without orthotics while failed run had them in - sensing a pattern here!! Changing physio but have to wait until next Friday for appointment as she's completly booked up! I know she's good so don't mind waiting.

So in a depressed state, I decided retail therapy was best option. So I bought a bike, helmet and pump :). Now am completely worried about myself that I consider buying exercise equipment retail therapy - when did I become soooo obsessed??

Anyway went out on bike yesterday - first time on a road bike in about 10 years which is very sad. 30 miles later, I now understand why - could they have not figured out how to make comfortable saddles in that time frame?? Really enjoyed it but that wind and hills were a challenge! It really helped injury though so may try another jog this evening without the orthotics and see how I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

shazkea wrote: »
    Wow had to go fishing for this log as it's been a while since I posted.

So in summary rest of week for a rollercoaster. Completed a 3 mile run which I was estatic about and then all came crashing down on Friday again. I tried another 3 miles and had to quit after a mile as injury flared up again. On analysis other runs were completed without orthotics while failed run had them in - sensing a pattern here!! Changing physio but have to wait until next Friday for appointment as she's completly booked up! I know she's good so don't mind waiting.

So in a depressed state, I decided retail therapy was best option. So I bought a bike, helmet and pump :). Now am completely worried about myself that I consider buying exercise equipment retail therapy - when did I become soooo obsessed??

Anyway went out on bike yesterday - first time on a road bike in about 10 years which is very sad. 30 miles later, I now understand why - could they have not figured out how to make comfortable saddles in that time frame?? Really enjoyed it but that wind and hills were a challenge! It really helped injury though so may try another jog this evening without the orthotics and see how I go.

I found a fantastic physio, pm if you want details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done! And congrats on the purchase. Sorry I didn’t give you any advice on the bike – I literally know nothing about bikes. I barely even know how to cycle one. Haha. When I was buying mine I just went up to Halfords and told the guy that I was clueless but I’d trust his advice. They were really helpful up there and no complaints so far anyway. You’ll get used to the saddle though. The next purchase will be a pair of padded cycling shorts! Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nothing wrong with that, I bought myself running gear the other week as a thesis-related pick-me-up! :D:pac:

What bike did you get?

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Well done! And congrats on the purchase. Sorry I didn’t give you any advice on the bike – I literally know nothing about bikes. I barely even know how to cycle one. Haha. When I was buying mine I just went up to Halfords and told the guy that I was clueless but I’d trust his advice. They were really helpful up there and no complaints so far anyway. You’ll get used to the saddle though. The next purchase will be a pair of padded cycling shorts! Best of luck with it!

Cheers Claralara and no problem on the advice. I did exactly the same as you and went to Halfords :D As for buying a pair of padded cycling shorts, not sure about that but then I said the same about running capris and tights so we'll see. Picked up a a gel seat cover in Lidl though so we'll see if that works!
    Nothing wrong with that, I bought myself running gear the other week as a thesis-related pick-me-up! :D:pac:

What bike did you get?

Nice one RK, hope the purchases did the trick for you :)

As for bike, I went for the cheaper option as I don't know how serious I am about the biking part. So I went for an Apollo Mountain bike (http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_762051_langId_-1_categoryId_212589). Damm pink and turquoise womens options so I choose a men's one.
    If I decide I want a better one, going to do it through the Bike to Work scheme and get a decent one - emmm already applied for it in work today :D

Gym this eve and a very slow 3 miles. I think I'm gone to the point of being paranoid about pain - slightest niggle nearly has me reaching for the stop button on the treadmill. I resisted and remembered a lovely acronym I saw on the road during Kildare Half Marathon - HTFU :D

Leg is sore and have iced it and it should be fine for a cross-training session tomorrow. Def better without the orthotics :mad:

I have probably exhausted most avenues in an effort to return to running...physio, aqua jogging (zzzz), glucosamine, cycling, omega oil, tiger balm, dry needling, bio freeze and the list goes on...and still nothing.

So when a friend suggested compression shorts I laughed but of course I checked the ould internet all the same. Jury is out it seems on the benefits or placebo. Anyway thought flip it I'll check it out and took myself down to shopping centre.
    1 sporting shop laughed at me, another said womens compression items didn't sell so they don't stock them and said good luck. Tried 3rd one who was helpful, said they had none at mo but I should check out mens underarmor ones and if I liked those I should try internet. Grand says I, hand me a medium I shall try it out. Nice comfy fit which is what I told assitant. He laughed ,took them off me and handed me small and said "Trust me"! I didn't really but thought ok!

So tried them in the gym this eve. Now to say they were a "snug" fit would be an under-statement so I put on a pair of loose shorts over them and warmed up. Noticed a difference immediately on my pre-run stretch; muscles felt loose. But still a bit sceptical stepping onto treadmill. But omg they are miracle workers. For the first time in 6 weeks, I ran 3 miles completely pain free - nada, nothing, zilch only a frigging burning feeling in my foot coz I forgot my 1000 mile socks! Stretching after felt good and better range of motion too.
    Honestly I am so impressed but I know its early days. Now considering I couldn't do anything on Tuesday after last run, this feeling is unreal. Peeled them off me after session expecting the pain to kick in then but still nothing. Shall see how I go tomorrow.
    Also off to see MrSlows miracle worker/physio on Sat morn.

Roll on Sun when I shall attempt a 6 miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Lets hope this is the start of the turn around! Good luck with the physio ;) and hope the run on Sunday goes well. Will be waiting for the post...

Emer911 wrote: »
    Lets hope this is the start of the turn around! Good luck with the physio ;) and hope the run on Sunday goes well. Will be waiting for the post...

+1 :D

• Advertisement

New physio this morning and found him really good (thanks mrslow). Adductor tendinopathy is the diagnosis and advised to dispose of my orthotics!! Unfortunately no running for a week which will be reviewed next week so its back to cross-training for me :rolleyes:. Was going to go out for cycle but leg is really tender after session so decided just to take it easy.

Now just sitting here watching Everest ER on tv and reminiscing. Just wondering how is it that I had no problem getting up above Everest Base Camp but I can't even complete training for a frigging marathon....aaagggghhh! On the flip side I suppose if it was easy everybody would be running one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

New physio this morning and found him really good (thanks mrslow). Adductor tendinopathy is the diagnosis and advised to dispose of my orthotics!!

Just goes to show that you can't rely on what one says. I'm guessing you paid a pretty penny for them too. Hopefully the news will be better next week.

New physio this morning and found him really good (thanks mrslow). Adductor tendinopathy is the diagnosis and advised to dispose of my orthotics!! Unfortunately no running for a week which will be reviewed next week so its back to cross-training for me :rolleyes:. Was going to go out for cycle but leg is really tender after session so decided just to take it easy.

Now just sitting here watching Everest ER on tv and reminiscing. Just wondering how is it that I had no problem getting up above Everest Base Camp but I can't even complete training for a frigging marathon....aaagggghhh! On the flip side I suppose if it was easy everybody would be running one!!

I'm glad you found him good Shaz, I was lucky in that the first physio I went to gave me a few useless excercises and set up an appointment to be fitted with orthotics but I sought a second opinion and boy am I glad I did, my/our current physios believe orthotics are useful but only after all of the other avenues have been explored and exhausted.

I really hope you'll be back in action soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

New physio this morning and found him really good (thanks mrslow). Adductor tendinopathy is the diagnosis and advised to dispose of my orthotics!!

Bummer about the non-running, but sounds like you found a good guy? Hope it works out.

Advertisement