Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Rollout

• 13-06-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the UPC Broadband rollout time line in Dublin? I have seen the map on their webpage and where im looking for is in blue and just says sometime in 2010.

Gar

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The UPC network upgrade should be complete by the end of 2014.

Got a letter last Thursday saying my area was been upgraded Blanchardstown (Mountview), hopefully be done in 12 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Is there any breakdown of what areas they're upgrading in Cork City, or other major centres outside of Dublin.

They seem to just lump "Cork" all into one big blob, and there are definitely different levels of service in different areas of the city at the moment.

I'd also be interested to know if there are any programs to connect some of the suburban housing estates that were idiotically not cabled at all by Chorus back in the bad-old-days when they just whacked up a few MMDS antennae and then lost all their customers to Sky Digital.

E.g. there appears to be cable service in parts of Carrigaline, Ballincollig, Glanmire etc, the curb-side amplifier boxes are evident all over the place. I'm just not sure what era these are from or what services are likely to be available in those areas.

It's all very confusing and UPC really ought to provide more accurate information if they hope to gain customers.

Also, I think UPC need to do a bit of a PR drive, particularly in Cork and other ex Chorus areas. People had such horrendous experiences with Cork Multichannel, Irish Multichannel and Chorus that many are absolutely unwilling to even consider connecting to the cable company every again. NTL weren't great in Dublin, but they were light-years ahead of Chorus in the darker days of cable service in Cork.

They really need a very serious campaign to prove that they're now technically competent and reliable.

I find it quite amusing that Sky often has space-ship like huge information pods and even full shops in some of the shopping centres around Cork. It all looks very slick and professional, meanwhile UPC had a guy with a little fold out table scribbling down people's details on an A4 pad!

Do you really think that inspires confidence?!

Also, what does Craig Doyle taking a picture with a 1970s Polaroid camera (which is what's on the UPC billboards) have to do with cable TV or broadband?!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The UPC network upgrade should be complete by the end of 2014.

Wont have to wait long then...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Solair wrote: »
    I'd also be interested to know if there are any programs to connect some of the suburban housing estates that were idiotically not cabled at all by Chorus back in the bad-old-days when they just whacked up a few MMDS antennae and then lost all their customers to Sky Digital.

That extension would be post 2014 Solair. They should make a point of keeping those networks( wayleaves) alive in the interim.
    Also, I think UPC need to do a bit of a PR drive, particularly in Cork and other ex Chorus areas. People had such horrendous experiences with Cork Multichannel, Irish Multichannel and Chorus that many are absolutely unwilling to even consider connecting to the cable company every again. NTL weren't great in Dublin, but they were light-years ahead of Chorus in the darker days of cable service in Cork.

They are institutionally unwilling to go there, mainly because Chorus took over NTL in effect......were it the other way around I am certain they would :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That extension would be post 2014 Solair. They should make a point of keeping those networks( wayleaves) alive in the interim.

They are institutionally unwilling to go there, mainly because Chorus took over NTL in effect......were it the other way around I am certain they would :)

Well not really, both were taken over by Liberty Global and effectively run by UPC, Europe's largest cable co.

The techie decisions are definitely being taken in NL, not at exNTL.

Advertisement