Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good secondary schools?

Options
  • 13-06-2010 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Been living nera Greystones for the last few years and are looking to enroll the kids (girls 7 and 3) into a local secondary school. Can any well regarded ones which have a non-denominational policy? Anywhere in the Graystones/Bray area.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

As far as I know the nearest non denominational secondary school is East Glendalough in Wicklow Town

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

As far as I know East Glendalough is a Protestant school, therefore denominational. I can't actually think of any non denominational schools in the Wicklow area.
    The VEC school Colaiste Chraobh Abhann in Kilcoole is multi-denominational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

My apologies, I should have said multi-denominational. Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

The only multi-denominational is Chraobh Abhann. After that, the nearest non-VEC one to this area is Newpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

While St. David's is owned (not run) by the holy faith sisters, there a quite a number of protestants in the school. Can sit out of religion class if they wish. Just need the parents consent as far as I could tell when I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Riddickcule

Yeah I'm in Davids its a Holy Faith school but i'd say about 20% of the students are Protestant or Non- religious, including me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yeah I'm in Davids its a Holy Faith school but i'd say about 20% of the students are Protestant or Non- religious, including me.

I went to David's and they placed quite a heavy emphasis on religion at the time (this is 20 years ago though). One of my friends at the school was CofI and he was very much in the minority, I don't think he enjoyed it much...

Well trust me it's not as bad as it used to be. I have heard stories though.

When the new principal came in about 5 years ago she really set the place straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

St Andrews Booterstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Huntthe wrote: »
    St Andrews Booterstown.
    I'm almost sure that St. Andrews is protestant aswell. Could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Well trust me it's not as bad as it used to be. I have heard stories though.

When the new principal came in about 5 years ago she really set the place straight.

Erm....It wasn't that bad when the old Principal was there. At least from a religion point of view.

From every other point of view it was a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Jammyc wrote: »

Correct.

Jammyc wrote: »

and private, and expensive. Quite a few greystones kids attend it though.

It's not protestant. A Chap I used to play football with got annoyed when I assumed he was prodestant as he went to school there.

Although most of the pupils as far as I could see where protestant....and female.....and gorgeous.......and liberal...................................but that's a different thread :D

Unless you got a wad of cash right now in your pocket don't enrol them in Andrews.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I know lots of people that go to Andrews and they like it :)
    I think it would be mainly protestant.
    Really popular and about half of my class in primary school went either there or to EGS and everyone I know that goes to EGS loves it. too.

Here both your nearest schools St Davids and CCA are good. Take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

CCA is a better funded school because it's VEC, therefore it has a better range of subjects, facilities etc. It is also considered to be a disadvantaged school, therefore gets further funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Euopean

My children are at the educate together junior school (which I would highly recommend) by the time your children are ready for senior school there may well be a secondary school built. Voice your support and hopefully if enough peoplke do the same it will happen!:rolleyes:

Will they teach them how to spell 'European'......sorry couldn't resist it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Euopean

Mmmm I guess a glass or two of red and a keyboard don't mix well do they??!!

Euopean wrote: »
    My children are at the educate together junior school (which I would highly recommend) by the time your children are ready for senior school there may well be a secondary school built. Voice your support and hopefully if enough peoplke do the same it will happen!:rolleyes:

do you know where ET are at with their efforts to get a secondary school off the ground? I attended their initial meeting at the rugby club but haven't heard anything since.

At the time they were still lobbying the government to become a secondary school patron and were concentrating on trying to get schools established in Waterford and (I think) Lucan. I don't think either of those have been built still.

TBH I wouldn't hold your breath for an ET second-level school to be established in Greystones. The VEC have first dibs on the designated site at Blacklion. I suggested to Derek Mitchell that the IDA lands would be a better location as all the population growth is to the south of the village (and all the sports facilities are in that area) - although he seems to have adopted this as his policy, the IDA have no interest in giving up any of their land after sitting on it for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KatieEgg

St. Davids is fine for any denomination, there is no religion except in religion class, which is strictly the curriculum for junior cert.
    Leaving cert religion is one class per week & is defo not pushing catholicism. but you can sit out of it should you wish.
    It's a great school, & I wish I was still young enough to be a student!!

~Katie

St Davids is a fine school, and lets face it religion classes these days are not like the days of old, so a free class could be had there at times when class is on, would'nt be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

How does Presentation College in Bray compare to St Davids?

In my opinion all the schools are the same, all have good points and bad points, good teachers and not so good teachers, and thats from experience of Loreto Bray, Pres Bray and St Davids, would have to say though that of all 3, I would lean towards St Davids

OK, and in terms of avoiding religion, how do they compare?

Cant really answer that as its been a while since I had dealings with the 2 Bray schools so have no idea what the story is there, (just to add I have nothing bad to say about these 2 schools, my son and daughter enjoyed their time there) In St Davids, its not a huge issue, think its ok to withdraw from religion classes, in all honesty even the ones that attend classes dont pay much attention. All schools have such a mixture of cultures, religions, etc these days, I really dont think its a problem in any school if religion is not taken. My God!!! if that happened in my day in school, think we would have been banished to the flames for eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

recedite wrote: »
    How does Presentation College in Bray compare to St Davids?

Pres is a pretty liberal school. Religion is not thought as an exam subject at Junior or senior cycle and the focus of the classes tend to be social justice rather than catechism. One of my children goes to Pres and the other to St Davids and I would strongly recommend Pres over David's (new school opening in December, better discipline, the teachers have more interest in extra-curricular etc) - but this is only one opinion.

A word of warning though. If you want to get your son into Pres, you will need to get his application in early when they open. I was too late to get my first son in and the waiting list is very long. Preference goes to sons and brothers of past pupils

• Advertisement

milosh wrote: »
    I would strongly recommend Pres over David's .......A word of warning though. If you want to get your son into Pres, you will need to get his application in early when they open. I was too late to get my first son in and the waiting list is very long. Preference goes to sons and brothers of past pupils
    But I have found that when there is a waiting list they are free to apply the religious discrimination that is always there written into the admissions policy. So that leaves us with St Davids and CCA Kilcoole. (Schools whose main admissions requirement is a large wad of money are also ruled out). I have heard the Principal in CCA is very good, and also the facilities are state of the art? The only reservation there is that I hear some of the locals can be a bit on the "rough" side.

Advertisement