Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The usuall donegal rally thread!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RIP Thomas Maguire

i wanted to stay away from this thread but i just cant

graces7 you really need to get out more

several parts of sligo will b closed from thurs to sun to facilitate the national cycling championships, you obviously dont think me descending from glengesh to meenaneery at 70+ km/h should be allowed either (protected my my thin veneer of lycra.
    stuff happens its unfortunate mikko martins co driver was killed in a wrc event a few years ago
    a spectator was killed on the tour de france by a support motorbike last year

i find these calls for an event that has been going for 20 odd years to be banned depressing.

Your post is offensive in the exreme; as muffler says, there is no need to be insulting and in fact doing so negates and dilutes andy validity you argument might have.

Nothing in any of my posts is personal insult.

An apology will be glady received.

Life is precious; if you really want to risk yours, it is your choice.. What should not be your choice is to disrupt the ordinary lives of a large part of the population.

Do you think it is right and fair to close down whole areas of the country like this? For the pleasure of a few?

So that you can so these things?

Which is what many of us are talking about in addition to the very real risks involved.

Surely no one has that right.

Speed sports should be confined to areas where we have the choice to avoid them; not forced on us like this. On public roads

We have a sportocracy here, and it is not fair.
    Last year we had one stage of the rally here in Donegal Town. Almost none of the local shops benefitted; the crowds came to see then moved on.

Maybe if the organisers offered ordinary folk a recompence for the disruption.;)

Someone asked re the experience etc? There was a thread on that a while ago. These racers practise on country lanes to the peril of others. When we came here we did not appreciate the need to dive into ditches walking the dogs because a ***** was racing on a narrow lane with no pavement.

This kind of thing is a knock on effect of this sport.

There needs to be thought re the whole "sport".

Please, read the posts here and see what people think.

If you are so passionate re sport that you need to insult those who think differentlly?

Seems a marked difference here between the tone of the objectors and the fanatics, which is pretty revealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Sorry Graces7 but when you are saying that the Rally cause more disruption than anything else etc but as someone who has been on all sides really (Spectator, marshall and townsperson) people making statements like you really annoy me. The main aim of everyone involved in the rally is to make sure it goes quickly and causes as little disruption as they can. Road closed notices are available weeks in advance of the event, the marshalls try and help the locals in every way they can. They move people from private lands if they are causing disruption and will cancel any stage if anyone starts causing trouble or there is any threat to safety.

From my 6 or 7 years marshalling I can say without a doubt the main disruptions, problems and hassles come from locals who raise arguments like yours and try and get put on the roads after they are closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I dont think the rally should be cancelled. It was the first competitor that was killed ever (as far as im aware) this year was a freak accident. nobody killed last year .. 2 years ago a young fellow ran out in front of a car and was killed ( nothing anyone could have done about that) he was told by stewards a number of times not to be running across the road.. i think 5 years or more ago a car came off the road and hit spectators. another tragic accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

in 1987 two competitors, driver and co-driver were killed on the back road from Convoy to Drumkeen, near Aughygalt.. I was just down the road from the scene at the time. I think they were brothers, from either Galway or Mayo... there is a road side memorial there since.

* I'm not anti-rally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I stand corrected... that was 23 years ago.. Its sad a life was lost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

just one wee point the 2 killed in convoy weren't taking part int he donegal international , it was the harvest rally as far as i know.

Ok I replied earlier but as I’m at work my time was limited, so I’ve taken a nit of time to compose my post a bit better this time.

I’ve been on every side of the debate. I had family that would race, my family would often spectate, I’ve done several years of marshalling and I’ve had roads in my area closed due to the event.

When people start going on about how the rally disrupts the lives of locals etc because of noise and road closures I fail to see their point. Everyone in this county that is living near any of the routes knows when the Rally is on, knows roughly what route it takes before the maps come out and are aware thanks to local radio, newspapers and flyers what roads will be closed from whatever time in the morning/afternoon until the afternoon/evening. People can then plan around this (giving time for all other traffic to move etc) to get somewhere they need to go. What about all the other events where roads are closed? Cycle races and running races for example and event concerts or parades. The Dublin marathon shuts down many roads and even the letterkenny 10k had roads closed and cars backed up to let everyone through and that wasn’t nearly as well publicised as the International. Roads are shut for the least amount of time possible and are often opened before the time stated.

When people complain about noise again I can’t see to many problems. If you are living close to a road you are going to hear cars anyway. I understand that the noise created by cars (especially the “bangs” created) can be unnerving for some people but radios and TV background noise can help reduce this effect. And for those few hours one day a year can not be compared to a day of roadworks on a nearby road can create.

And if still the noise, the road closures or whatever is annoying you that much do you really have to be in your house/area for them few hours? Do some shopping, visit friends/family go for a walk on a nearly beach whatever. It’s a few hours on a summers weekend.

Now the safety concern people have for the event I can see a small glimmer of why people disagree with it on these grounds. But not in Donegal.

The reason I say this is if you turn on DAVE on sky and watch the WRC events shown there look at the roads they race over. Look for barriers that they (don’t) have over cliffs, the rock faces, the trees the snow drifts. Compare this to Donegal where yes there are walls, fences and the odd cliff but the safety differences are massive, Knockalla fro example has barriers the whole way from the start of the hill right over the coastal road and down past the wee pier. We don’t have that many roads running through forests like Wales, We don’t have many flat out sections like Australia has, We don’t have Ice or snow like Sweden. Compared to most of these rallys that all fall under FIA guidelines Donegal is quite safe.

Another point on safety would be the spectators. From 6 or 7 years experience marshalling the safety errors are HUGE compared to other places. You look again at the other WRC events (where again I’ll say all safety measurements for rope and tape that you have to stand beside are supposed to be the same worldwide) you will see spectators crowding the sides of roads waving at cars, sitting either side of jumps the list goes on and on. Compared to this event where people are kept a huge difference back from the road, kept away from jumps and certain corners and are kept in designated areas. If anyone wee scumbag tries to stand anywhere else or won’t listen to the warnings the stage is cancelled. No argument. The marshal will call it in and if there is time before the cars are due a chief marshal or safety officer will maybe come out to try and calm the situation (this can also happen when all the safety cars are coming around maybe half hour before the main cars) if this isn’t possible the stage is cancelled and that toe rag will be outcast by all friends at the event. Thankfully I have never seen this happen as most people will back up after the situation is explained. The only people who can do what they want are the photographers who have signed a waiver saying pretty much whatever happens is their fault.

Yes this event has been marred by several deaths in the last number of years but this is the first time in the 30+ years history that a competitor has died. The other deaths have been spectators, (2 in 2008 and 1 in 2002 if memory serves me correctly if you know the exact figures please let me know) It is a tragic loss of young life and if you don’t agree with that statement I really don’t know where you are coming from but for a sport with such high risks it shows the level of safety and precaution that is involved in both the running of it and the safety upgrades the cars have received. People die in a variety of sports, the cycling accident(s) mentioned preciously, the isle of man TT races, the people that have died playing football and soccer in the last few years. Even when you consider injuries how many broken legs, arms etc do we see during a season of soccer is probably on par with that in motor racing. (I’m taking top level here because as I’m sure there is accidents in low level races th
    at cause injuries there is also an awful lot of injuries in football that aren’t heard of because of geographical or skill level restraints (killer bee invasions in South America, lightening strikes in Africa)

So as much as I will respect and listen to other peoples opinions I honestly see no reason for people to be as anti Rally as they seem to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Thomas, this is unreal to be writing, still can't believe it.

One of my best friends in college, I'll never forget all the good times we had. I's so weird. I can't believe it's YOU -GONE. I feel really out of it. How could it be true??
    Will make it up to your funeral on Wednesday bud, I will miss you frown.gif.

You were so happy in life and so in love, my thoughts are with her and all your family.

I think you would laugh that you made the news smile.gif. I hope you're happy where you are, until I see you again.....frown.giffrown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

danniemcq wrote: »
    Ok I replied earlier but as I’m at work my time was limited, so I’ve taken a nit of time to compose my post a bit better this time.

I’ve been on every side of the debate. I had family that would race, my family would often spectate, I’ve done several years of marshalling and I’ve had roads in my area closed due to the event.

When people start going on about how the rally disrupts the lives of locals etc because of noise and road closures I fail to see their point. Everyone in this county that is living near any of the routes knows when the Rally is on, knows roughly what route it takes before the maps come out and are aware thanks to local radio, newspapers and flyers what roads will be closed from whatever time in the morning/afternoon until the afternoon/evening. People can then plan around this (giving time for all other traffic to move etc) to get somewhere they need to go. What about all the other events where roads are closed? Cycle races and running races for example and event concerts or parades. The Dublin marathon shuts down many roads and even the letterkenny 10k had roads closed and cars backed up to let everyone through and that wasn’t nearly as well publicised as the International. Roads are shut for the least amount of time possible and are often opened before the time stated.

When people complain about noise again I can’t see to many problems. If you are living close to a road you are going to hear cars anyway. I understand that the noise created by cars (especially the “bangs” created) can be unnerving for some people but radios and TV background noise can help reduce this effect. And for those few hours one day a year can not be compared to a day of roadworks on a nearby road can create.

And if still the noise, the road closures or whatever is annoying you that much do you really have to be in your house/area for them few hours? Do some shopping, visit friends/family go for a walk on a nearly beach whatever. It’s a few hours on a summers weekend.

Now the safety concern people have for the event I can see a small glimmer of why people disagree with it on these grounds. But not in Donegal.

The reason I say this is if you turn on DAVE on sky and watch the WRC events shown there look at the roads they race over. Look for barriers that they (don’t) have over cliffs, the rock faces, the trees the snow drifts. Compare this to Donegal where yes there are walls, fences and the odd cliff but the safety differences are massive, Knockalla fro example has barriers the whole way from the start of the hill right over the coastal road and down past the wee pier. We don’t have that many roads running through forests like Wales, We don’t have many flat out sections like Australia has, We don’t have Ice or snow like Sweden. Compared to most of these rallys that all fall under FIA guidelines Donegal is quite safe.

Another point on safety would be the spectators. From 6 or 7 years experience marshalling the safety errors are HUGE compared to other places. You look again at the other WRC events (where again I’ll say all safety measurements for rope and tape that you have to stand beside are supposed to be the same worldwide) you will see spectators crowding the sides of roads waving at cars, sitting either side of jumps the list goes on and on. Compared to this event where people are kept a huge difference back from the road, kept away from jumps and certain corners and are kept in designated areas. If anyone wee scumbag tries to stand anywhere else or won’t listen to the warnings the stage is cancelled. No argument. The marshal will call it in and if there is time before the cars are due a chief marshal or safety officer will maybe come out to try and calm the situation (this can also happen when all the safety cars are coming around maybe half hour before the main cars) if this isn’t possible the stage is cancelled and that toe rag will be outcast by all friends at the event. Thankfully I have never seen this happen as most people will back up after the situation is explained. The only people who can do what they want are the photographers who have signed a waiver saying pretty much whatever happens is their fault.

Yes this event has been marred by several deaths in the last number of years but this is the first time in the 30+ years history that a competitor has died. The other deaths have been spectators, (2 in 2008 and 1 in 2002 if memory serves me correctly if you know the exact figures please let me know) It is a tragic waste of life and anyone that doesn’t agree with that isn’t right in the head but for a sport with such high risks it shows the level of safety and precaution that is involved in both the running of it and the safety upgrades the cars have received. People die in a variety of sports, the cycling accident(s) mentioned preciously, the isle of man TT races, the people that have died playing football and soccer in the last few years. Even when you consider injuries how many broken legs, arms etc do we see during a season of soccer is probably on par with that in motor racing. (I’m taking top level here because as I’m sure there is accidents in low level races that cause injuries there is also an awful lot of injuries in football that aren’t heard of because of geographical or skill level restraints (killer bee invasions in South America, lightening strikes in Africa)

So as much as I will respect and listen to other peoples opinions I honestly see no reason for people to be as anti Rally as they seem to be.

No offence, but thats just a whole heap of wrong. How can you be impartial, saying you can see both sides (and one side is wrong!) when it's clear as you've stated, that you have a vested interest in the rally. You've marshalled, you've family involved, of course you won't mind the rally disrupting you personally. I've also got a vested interest in it, family past and present participating, and I can see exactly why people complain about it, and don't blame them.

People can be as anti or pro rally as they like. It's their choice.

Can I first apologize for two things I meant no offence by a previous comment and understand why what I said could be taken wrong and second I only just noticed that a line from that passage was missing from the end when I copied from Word. Klim this would be aimed more for you where you are calling me biased, from the post I can see how that would appear but I’d like to clarify that I haven’t been bothered with the Rally in the last number of years, I don’t think I’ve even went to a stage in the last 4 maybe 5 years. I can see how people are affected by it that don’t attend the event as I am one of them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Can I first apologize for two things I meant no offence by a previous comment and understand why what I said could be taken wrong and second I only just noticed that a line from that passage was missing from the end when I copied from Word. Klim this would be aimed more for you where you are calling me biased, from the post I can see how that would appear but I’d like to clarify that I haven’t been bothered with the Rally in the last number of years, I don’t think I’ve even went to a stage in the last 4 maybe 5 years. I can see how people are affected by it that don’t attend the event as I am one of them myself.

No problem. Don't think you've any need to apologise. Your post didn't come across how you meant. It's easily done.

Sorry Graces7 but when you are saying that the Rally cause more disruption than anything else etc but as someone who has been on all sides really (Spectator, marshall and townsperson) people making statements like you really annoy me. The main aim of everyone involved in the rally is to make sure it goes quickly and causes as little disruption as they can. Road closed notices are available weeks in advance of the event, the marshalls try and help the locals in every way they can. They move people from private lands if they are causing disruption and will cancel any stage if anyone starts causing trouble or there is any threat to safety.

From my 6 or 7 years marshalling I can say without a doubt the main disruptions, problems and hassles come from locals who raise arguments like yours and try and get put on the roads after they are closed.

Well, your annoyance is your problem, simply. You need to see this from the point of view of non sporting folk; the mere fact of road closes signs says it all.

Well, so locals object!! Good for them and for all who speak out. How dare they, you mean? I mean, your attitude is so odd. These are rate payers, residents with a need and a voice...to be free of this kind of disruption and hassle.. Please read the posts .

The rally rides rough shod over everyone.

And look how the roads have changed in the last 20 odd years; the volume of traffic has increased massively and many more are mobile and dependent on cars.

That is why I used the word '"anachronism" and say this needs rethinking fr so many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

"I’ve been on every side of the debate. I had family that would race, my family would often spectate, I’ve done several years of marshalling and I’ve had roads in my area closed due to the event."

Every side of the debate???? I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Thomas, this is unreal to be writing, still can't believe it.

One of my best friends in college, I'll never forget all the good times we had. I's so weird. I can't believe it's YOU -GONE. I feel really out of it. How could it be true??
    Will make it up to your funeral on Wednesday bud, I will miss you frown.gif.

You were so happy in life and so in love, my thoughts are with her and all your family.

I think you would laugh that you made the news smile.gif. I hope you're happy where you are, until I see you again.....frown.giffrown.gif

I am very sorry for your sad loss :( All the other arguments pale into insignificance for now - there will be another day for them. I hope you find comfort in your good memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

I can't stand the rally. I have no interest in car racing, to me a car is something I drive from A to B, I think many of the attitudes towards cars in this country, and this county particularly, are shocking and that *part* of that is reflected in the rally.

I don't have a problem with the rally taking place TBH, as long as safety measures are put in place and things are disrupted as little as possible for the public. I just don't like the scene around it and want as little to do with it as possible.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Well, your annoyance is your problem, simply. You need to see this from the point of view of non sporting folk; the mere fact of road closes signs says it all.

Well, so locals object!! Good for them and for all who speak out. How dare they, you mean? I mean, your attitude is so odd. These are rate payers, residents with a need and a voice...to be free of this kind of disruption and hassle.. Please read the posts .

The rally rides rough shod over everyone.

And look how the roads have changed in the last 20 odd years; the volume of traffic has increased massively and many more are mobile and dependent on cars.

That is why I used the word '"anachronism" and say this needs rethinking fr so many reasons.

Chronological Mistake
    “something from a different period of time, e.g. a modern idea or invention wrongly placed in a historical setting in fiction or drama” or

Something from a different historical period
    a person, thing, idea, or custom that seems to belong to a different time in history

Sorry Graces7 I was confused by your statement and had to actually look up anachronism. I think you are taking the word out of context here. Are you trying to say that a modern motorsport event doesn’t belong in our old fashioned county? Honestly this thread is giving me paroxysms of exasperation
    danjo wrote: »
    "I’ve been on every side of the debate. I had family that would race, my family would often spectate, I’ve done several years of marshalling and I’ve had roads in my area closed due to the event."

Every side of the debate???? I don't think so.

Sorry Danjo if you read my clarification post you’d see the statement below. "I’d like to clarify that I haven’t been bothered with the Rally in the last number of years, I don’t think I’ve even went to a stage in the last 4 maybe 5 years. I can see how people are affected by it that don’t attend the event as I am one of them myself"
    Really should edit my original post. But look honestly if I never seen another rally stage I don’t think I’d be that bothered. The reason I am saying I’m not biased is I’ve been on all sides I’ve not seen any anti rally people on here that have said they’ve watched some of it. People that are complaining about safety haven’t attended any of the safety briefings that I have, people who complain about the running of a stage haven’t ever helped run a stage and those who complain about road closures don’t see the behind the scenes work to try and help as many local s as they can. Now I’m on the other side, don’t follow it, know nobody in it, don’t marshall, don’t even listen to the race results. I’m affected by road closures, traffic, trying to get to the bar when it’s jammed with the spectators. But for 1/52nd of a year I put up with it.

Chronological Mistake
    “something from a different period of time, e.g. a modern idea or invention wrongly placed in a historical setting in fiction or drama” or

Something from a different historical period
    a person, thing, idea, or custom that seems to belong to a different time in history

Sorry Graces7 I was confused by your statement and had to actually look up anachronism. I think you are taking the word out of context here. Are you trying to say that a modern motorsport event doesn’t belong in our old fashioned county? Honestly this thread is giving me paroxysms of exasperation

Sounds painful does that..;) Again, that is your problem,,,,

And no, not out of context in any way; please read the rest of that sentence and when your paroxysms pass, as such things tend to do...

You are transposing meanings here to feed your.... whatever.

Times change and needs change and hopefully we leave behind things that are no longer viable.

it comes and goes, But Graces7 can you please explain how this event isn't viable anymore when it is quite possibly the biggest draw the county has to offer. The amount of money created by this weekend is huge, hotels, b&bs, bars, restaurants, chipper vans, garages etc etc etc.

If you don't mind me asking does the Rally actually run past your door? or do any road closures affect you from say getting to a shop?

it comes and goes, But Graces7 can you please explain how this event isn't viable anymore when it is quite possibly the biggest draw the county has to offer. The amount of money created by this weekend is huge, hotels, b&bs, bars, restaurants, chipper vans, garages etc etc etc.

If you don't mind me asking does the Rally actually run past your door? or do any road closures affect you from say getting to a shop?

You are so entrenched in your stance that you are not reading what is written

There is more to life than money also. So THAT is what this is all about? A few traders making money? Ah I see.. Regardless of safety or any other considerations we mere residents might have.

I bid thee good day then. Until you actually read what so many of us are saying...

You are so entrenched in your stance that you are not reading what is written

There is more to life than money also. So THAT is what this is all about? A few traders making money? Ah I see.. Regardless of safety or any other considerations we mere residents might have.

I bid thee good day then. Until you actually read what so many of us are saying...

here was me intending to stand back and let this thread run (i was thinking it would be locked by now because of all the claims being made here) but im not going to sit back and let the sport i love so much be slated for nothing! I will prob get an infraction before its finished but im going to fight the Pro-rally corner, as much as people (person) is fighting the anti rally corner. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and if they had genuine reason to be agreived id let it go....

Just as you say graces, your stance is as much biased towards being anti rally, as mines in towards being pro rally. I personally dont understand where your gripe with the rally comes from as from what i can make out the Donegal International Rally NEVER passes your area, for as far back as i can remember the harvest rally which is held in october time went up your way once, i dont know if it passed your door or not but it was up that direction, i love the way you use these big fancy words that very few people here can understand the correct meaning of, without going to wikipedia or reading a dictionary, but your more than entitled to do so but it makes your posts hard to read to be honest.

You also said ...untill you read what so many of us are saying? who are these "sooo many" people? you seem to be the only one arguing (and to be honest its becomming a commen theme in many threads, but it is a public forum and your entitled to your opinion) from the ban the rally corner.

P.S. you keep avoiding the crucail question, when has the rally every passed your door, or whan has the rally ever effected your life to such an extent as for you to call for it to be banned? when that question is answered i will reply and make further judgement on if you feel the right to be calling for it to be banned then

• Advertisement

A few guys who make rally dvd's put together this video, almost brings a tear to your eye RIP Tommo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is that the correct one Homer?

thats the one muffler thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

+1 homer, harvest stages went past my gate, loved it, (guess that makes me biased - so be it )

here was me intending to stand back and let this thread run (i was thinking it would be locked by now because of all the claims being made here) but im not going to sit back and let the sport i love so much be slated for nothing! I will prob get an infraction before its finished but im going to fight the Pro-rally corner, as much as people (person) is fighting the anti rally corner. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and if they had genuine reason to be agreived id let it go....

Just as you say graces, your stance is as much biased towards being anti rally, as mines in towards being pro rally. I personally dont understand where your gripe with the rally comes from as from what i can make out the Donegal International Rally NEVER passes your area, for as far back as i can remember the harvest rally which is held in october time went up your way once, i dont know if it passed your door or not but it was up that direction, i love the way you use these big fancy words that very few people here can understand the correct meaning of, without going to wikipedia or reading a dictionary, but your more than entitled to do so but it makes your posts hard to read to be honest.

You also said ...untill you read what so many of us are saying? who are these "sooo many" people? you seem to be the only one arguing (and to be honest its becomming a commen theme in many threads, but it is a public forum and your entitled to your opinion) from the ban the rally corner.

P.S. you keep avoiding the crucail question, when has the rally every passed your door, or whan has the rally ever effected your life to such an extent as for you to call for it to be banned? when that question is answered i will reply and make further judgement on if you feel the right to be calling for it to be banned then

You mean a "nimby"attitude? Not that narrow thank you.

Accountability goes further than that.

ie it does not have to pass my door to cause deep concern. So not avoiding a question; it simply is irrelevant. It really is

And i will not insult your intelligence by talking down to thee
    Or mine by dumbing down words.

We care about others - period. Deeply and fully. Period. No sport needs to be allowed to do what the road rallies do, ie take over parts of public roads to the exclusion of the public; and many here have said just that.

Many.

What gives a sport that right? Rather than to be in a place where we who don;t have an interest in that sport can avoid it. As most sports are.

A man was killed. Is that not enough for thee? Needlessly killed. And we do not buy the "ah well he knew the risks..".

And please; stop insulting as part of your argument. It alienates and polarises. It really does.

It is fine to be passionate about something; but to the extent that it blinds to the needs and reactions of others.

Why so much emotion and anger? IT IS ONLY A SPORT. Which sadly has become death for some. A death as senseless and needless as the young man falling from the window of the Abbey in the Diamond.

If this is the way it is in Donegal... will be happy to leave. Truly we will.

Ok so your saying now that the Rally doesn't effect you directly...yet you call for it to be banned, there are far far far more people here (not boards, ireland, especailly donegal) that are fans of the rally, indeed if you take into account the people who just tolorate the rally the numbers would be greatly in favour of keeping it here...

You didnt know thomas at all (from what i can make out) i had the privilage of meeting the fella, and he was a real genuine nice guy and aproachable too, his father was interviewed in the irish times earlier this week and said that he loved his rallying Knockalla was his favourate stage too, he said (bear in mind its his own father) that he knew the risks invloved, now i know this doesnt justify a death, but it is a dangerous sport everyone who attends knows this! its simple people die taking part in every sport, rallying, football, gaa, kayaking , all sorts of sports! Do you call for them sports to be banned (even if they dont effect you directly) every time a tragic death occours?

In fact you are far more likley to die getting into your car to visit the shops than you are when you attend / compete in a rally, so do you propose that we should ban all cars too? the safety levels are seriously high in rallying, in ireland moreso than anywhere else!

Now i will just point out one small thing to you here now graces, you must have taken a sudden change of heart, because last week you said this to someone who complained about the rally....
    lila44 wrote: »
    not looking forward to this weeked...I live in the town, so the sound of all those tiny-peepeed boys will be keeping me up all night.....

can already hear them now......this could be the first time i've ever said...i can't wait untill monday!

Commiserations; ear plugs help. or time for a weekend away!!

Ok so your saying now that the Rally doesn't effect you directly...yet you call for it to be banned, there are far far far more people here (not boards, ireland, especailly donegal) that are fans of the rally, indeed if you take into account the people who just tolorate the rally the numbers would be greatly in favour of keeping it here...

You didnt know thomas at all (from what i can make out) i had the privilage of meeting the fella, and he was a real genuine nice guy and aproachable too, his father was interviewed in the irish times earlier this week and said that he loved his rallying Knockalla was his favourate stage too, he said (bear in mind its his own father) that he knew the risks invloved, now i know this doesnt justify a death, but it is a dangerous sport everyone who attends knows this! its simple people die taking part in every sport, rallying, football, gaa, kayaking , all sorts of sports! Do you call for them sports to be banned (even if they dont effect you directly) every time a tragic death occours?

In fact you are far more likley to die getting into your car to visit the shops than you are when you attend / compete in a rally, the safety levels are seriously high, in ireland moreso than anywhere else!

Now i will just point out one small thing to you here now graces, you must have taken a sudden change of heart, because last week you said this to someone who complained about the rally....

WHY ARE YOU ATTACKING ME LIKE THIS?

This is crazy. Because I think differently from you? I am old enough to be your grannie, young man; different generations.

Where is your respect for others?

A wise man said, " No man is an island.. never seek to ask whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.."

Do you understand what that means?

Each is a part of the human family. Each is affected thus by a meaningless death.

Cannot get this image or the death in the Diamond out of my mind or out of my prayers.

Because caring for others is our whole life; saving lives,,, to see a life thrown away like this? For a sport? As if there were nto enough danger in life, as you say,without driving off a cliff .. for thrills? For fun?

A waste of life, of talent, of skills, that could be used to save lives in other lands with all the thrills you could wish for.

?? re your last crack??What do you mean? I care deeply about the pain of others'; so try to help.. Is that so hard to understand? Sheesh....

Will you please stop this now? I am deeply worried about you. Deeply worried.

Your arguments are totally of the wall as you must know

Qutting Donegal boards as really this is too much; it really is. So please, stop this now.

I am surprised at you; really I am.

WHY ARE YOU ATTACKING ME LIKE THIS?

Attack i am not attacking you in the slightest? i am mearly giving my opinion on a matter as are you?
    This is crazy. Because I think differently from you? I am old enough to be your grannie, young man; different generations.

Where is your respect for others?

What has age got to do with it? yes we think differently thats where this discussions is comming from....

Now who is the one insulting whom here? i have respect are you trying to say i dont because you should know better than to say i dont......
    A wise man said, " No man is an island.. never seek to ask whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.."

Do you understand what that means?

not the slightest idea....
    Each is a part of the human family. Each is affected thus by a meaningless death.

Yes yes we are all part of the human family, yes we are effected by a death, but i will say again anyone who attends / competes in a rally knows the risks!
    Cannot get this image or the death in the Diamond out of my mind or out of my prayers.

wrong thread that has got nothing to do with the donegal rally
    Because caring for others is our whole life; saving lives,,, to see a life thrown away like this? For a sport? As if there were nto enough danger in life, as you say,without driving off a cliff .. for thrills? For fun?

Now its these kind of quotes that get me annoyed (slightly :o) there is no part of rallying that involves driving off cliffs for thrills or fun, a bit of research into the topic would be enough to make you realise this, i would reccomend you retract this statement becuase you are basically saying the person who was driving the car that was involved in the tragic accident purposfully drove off a cliff for thrills!!!! very very strong statement that!!!!! The poor fella (shane buckly) has enough to deal with between losing a close friend and trying to get himself ack to health.
    A waste of life, of talent, of skills, that could be used to save lives in other lands with all the thrills you could wish for.

?? re your last crack??What do you mean? I care deeply about the pain of others'; so try to help.. Is that so hard to understand? Sheesh....

I mean the post i quoted was hardly the quote of someone who thought the sport should be banned 1 week later, as has happened.
    Will you please stop this now? I am deeply worried about you. Deeply worried.

Your arguments are totally of the wall as you must know

Stop what? stop defending a sport that i love that someone whats to get banned, you are entitled to run the sport into the ground as much as you want, but i am every bit as entitled to reply and disagree with you, weather im right or wrong, and by the way i think both sides have good points and bad!
    Qutting Donegal boards as really this is too much; it really is. So please, stop this now.

Quitting boards? thats a bit drastic (its not the first time you have said it though when someone disagreed with you) if you come on here with the intent of calling for a sport, a much loved sport in donegal (its a love hate sport at that though you wither love or hate it) to be banned what other reaction do you expect?

I'd expect the same reaction if i went to the GAA thread here said said it was to be banned!
    I am surprised at you; really I am.

You dont know me, and beside this is going way way off topic, but your latest post mainly abusing / complaining about me promted this reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

Are there no moderators on duty today ?

I have been watching this discussion for a few days and its going nowhere only insulting peoples intelligence.

Some people have interests (rallying) and others dont...

Some people have opinions which other people (no names :( ) dont respect...

and they are only opinions after all.. :cool:

I dont feel there is any need to get personal, so chill out people and change the subject... or lock the thread .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I am quite enjoying the thread.

Advertisement