Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Standard of Ref's at World Cup.

• 13-06-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Man my head is melted! 3 days in and im already broke..and its all due to poor standard of refaree's. I was betting on the card index for the first few games. I suggest you guys stay away from this bet. the ref''s a awful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

I disagree. With the exception of the referee in the Germany v Australia game where I thought the red card was harsh, I think the standard of officiating so far has been top class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

30 years of following LOI has made me immune to supposed poor standards. Thought that the majority of the decisions so far have been gotten right though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

I disagree. With the exception of the referee in the Germany v Australia game where I thought the red card was harsh, I think the standard of officiating so far has been top class

3 red cards in 3 games today...you got to be joking me.

S.A V Mex 4 yellow
    URG v FRA 6 yellow + 1 Red
    ENG V USA 6 yellow
    ALG V SLO 4 yellow + 1 Red
    SER V GHA 5 yellow + 1 Red
    GER V AUS 5 yellow + 1 Red

I dont know what world cup you are watching...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

And 2 out of those 3 were fully deserved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Nozebleed wrote: »
    3 red cards in 3 games today...you got to be joking me.

There was 18 red cards in the group stages of the 2006 WC.

So that's 1 every 2.6 games.

8 matches so far and 4 red cards, so 1 every 2 matches. One of them should not have been a red card which would leave it 8 matches and 3 reds which equals 1 every 2.6 games!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Bar the poor decision tonight(the ref has a record of being card happy), the standard of refs has been of high quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Amigomenor

Only mistake to date was Cahill getting send off, aside from that refs have been spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

should have been a peno in the Argie game for them and a peno for germany there tonight imo, but they cant spot everything.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Poor gambling by the OP rather than poor ref's IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Great referee's to date especially considering I was on the other teams of the red cards:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

x PyRo wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. Why would you bet on the card index before you have any idea how the tournament is being refereed?

x PyRo wrote: »

lol...there's good money in this bet. you should try it. i've made huge profit from this bet in recent years.

My thoughts exactly. Why would you bet on the card index before you have any idea how the tournament is being refereed?

thats like saying "why would you bet on goals being scored when you dont know what the new ball is like".

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

lol...there's good money in this bet. you should try it. i've made huge profit from this bet in recent years.

Lol, I've never looked into it to be honest. Wouldn't think it'd be good in a big tournament though, There's always alot of cards in the WC's.

^ and thats a valid point too

reason i stayed away from most tipsters saying back the overs on total tournament goals etc.

edit...aimed at Nozebleed btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

I've watched all games bar the 2 early games today (as I was at the Gaa in Cork) and I've only seen one bad decision. Hoping the standard stays this high tbh

no...in fairness i should really have waited till at least the second game in the group stages before lashing the bets on..but all in all its a good bet. I just hope ref's get better from here on in.

what is your bet btw...total redcards or just individual match cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Verance

thats like saying "why would you bet on goals being scored when you dont know what the new ball is like".
    Ha that's actually an excellent point you made, even though trying to be sarcastic! :pac:

OP stop talking through your pocket, the refs have done a great job so far. There's nothing worse than a sore loser. The refs aren't to blame, you are!

S.A V Mex 4 yellow
    ENG V USA 6 yellow
    So which cards were issued incorrectly??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

no...in fairness i should really have waited till at least the second game in the group stages before lashing the bets on..but all in all its a good bet. I just hope ref's get better from here on in.

What are you talking about?

The refereeing has been excellent this World Cup. Cahill's decision is the only huge decision a ref has gotten wrong. Just because they're handing out more cards than you were expecting doesn't mean they've been poor. Your gamblin has just been poor.

andyman wrote: »
    What are you talking about?
    Just because they're handing out more cards than you were expecting doesn't mean they've been poor. Your gamblin has just been poor.

you dont know what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

It's quite evident that you're the one who has no clue what they're talking about Nozebleed.

HoPpiE wrote: »
    It's quite evident that you're the one who has no clue what they're talking about Nozebleed.[/QUOTE

i'll try break it down for a you a little bit more....the standard of refaree decicions has been extremely poor. it's obvious to those of us who watch and understand football..the amount of yellow cards handed out has been ridiculous..especially by ref's outside of europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

The standard of refereeing has been good, with regards to the number of yellow cards issued, this is standard. It sounds too me that you didn't have the market thoroughly researched. For eg. in the South American qualifiers 88.8% of the games involving Argentina, Chile and Uruguay went over 35 booking points (3.5 yellow cards). Betting on matches involving these teams in the overs market is a no-brainer.

How can you go broke in 3 days anyhow, you should have an adequate starting bank/ staking plan etc. Blaming the standard of refereeing sounds pretty lame to be honest but best of luck for the rest of the world cup.

thedini wrote: »
    The standard of refereeing has been good, with regards to the number of yellow cards issued, this is standard. It sounds too me that you didn't have the market thoroughly researched. For eg. in the South American qualifiers 88.8% of the games involving Argentina, Chile and Uruguay went over 35 booking points (3.5 yellow cards). Betting on matches involving these teams in the overs market is a no-brainer.

How can you go broke in 3 days anyhow, you should have an adequate starting bank/ staking plan etc. Blaming the standard of refereeing sounds pretty lame to be honest but best of luck for the rest of the world cup.

Good Point about S.American footy. Im well versed when it comes to card index betting around the leagues/continents...i've been making money on this bet for over 5 years. and its a very good bet..i've made good profit from this bet. making this bet is not poor gambling..anyone who posts that knows nothing about the bet. but yet they will post their opinion slating my loss..which is irrelevant.
    Regarding research..most of the games at this WC have had a card index of up to including 5.5 card/points. which is excellent value. but in my case i have been let down by poor ref decisions. very weak yellow cards been handed out.

you wonder how i can go broke in just 3 days...one word ENGLAND! i decided to go for broke early...the way i see it..it will either make or break you for the tourney. ufortunately england let me down. no doubt i'll get slated for placing that bet aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

Good Point about S.American footy. Im well versed when it comes to card index betting around the leagues/continents...i've been making money on this bet for over 5 years. and its a very good bet..i've made good profit from this bet. making this bet is not poor gambling..anyone who posts that knows nothing about the bet. but yet they will post their opinion slating my loss..which is irrelevant.
    Regarding research..most of the games at this WC have had a card index of up to including 5.5 card/points. which is excellent value. but in my case i have been let down by poor ref decisions. very weak yellow cards been handed out.

you wonder how i can go broke in just 3 days...one word ENGLAND! i decided to go for broke early...the way i see it..it will either make or break you for the tourney. ufortunately england let me down. no doubt i'll get slated for placing that bet aswell.

You just hit the nail on the head, you took the boom or bust strategy route and it backfired, that is probably why you are getting not much sympathy. One bet, or even a no. of bets shoudn't break the bank and a more conservative staking strategy is advisable.

I'll repeat, which cards were incorrect?

S.A V Mex 4 yellow
    ENG V USA 6 yellow

???

You've been slated on here because you came on talking **** through your pocket. The standard of the refs has been good by general consensus.

It sounds like you put your whole bank on England v USA? It is, of course, ridiculous to put your whole bank on one bet. There were 6 yellows in the match, which did you feel were wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Some of the refs have been quite quick to brandish the yellow cards but that's about it.

But as others have said, the general standard has been quite high.

• Advertisement

thedini wrote: »
    You just hit the nail on the head, you took the boom or bust strategy route and it backfired, that is probably why you are getting not much sympathy. One bet, or even a no. of bets shoudn't break the bank and a more conservative staking strategy is advisable.

yep its true...however i was not looking for sympathy from anyone. I was simply pointing out to anyone who might be thinking about betting on the card index not to bother as refaree's standards are weak. I was trying to do you all a favour..but i got slated by the majority.

No..i didnt put my whole bank roll on England. and i was not betting on the card index on this particular game. and i am not "talking **** through my pocket". in fact i dont even know what that means? maybe you can clarify.

Verance wrote: »
    I'll repeat, which cards were incorrect?

S.A V Mex 4 yellow
    ENG V USA 6 yellow

???

You've been slated on here because you came on talking **** through your pocket. The standard of the refs has been good by general consensus.

It sounds like you put your whole bank on England v USA? It is, of course, ridiculous to put your whole bank on one bet. There were 6 yellows in the match, which did you feel were wrong?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Some of the refs have been quite quick to brandish the yellow cards but that's about it.

But as others have said, the general standard has been quite high.

Contradiction?

i am not "talking **** through my pocket". in fact i dont even know what that means? maybe you can clarify.
    Ah yes, talking shi* through your pocket, lovely phrase. Means that just because you lost a few bets you start a thread titled 'Poor standard of ref's at world cup', when indeed the standard has been quite good.

Very like the idiot in most bookies that starts giving out about the jockey every time his horse loses.

Hope I've clarified ;)

Anyhoo, which of the cards did you disagree with? Presumably Cahill's red and which others?

Verance wrote: »
    Ah yes, talking shi* through your pocket, lovely phrase. Means that just because you lost a few bets you start a thread titled 'Poor standard of ref's at world cup', when indeed the standard has been quite good.

Very like the idiot in most bookies that starts giving out about the jockey every time his horse loses.

Hope I've clarified ;)

Anyhoo, which of the cards did you disagree with? Presumably Cahill's red and which others?

go and review the games yourself. im going off to talk more sh*te through my pocket..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

So far the refereeing has been of good quality. No major talking points except a harsh red on Cahill and maybe De jong today could of got a red for a two foot challenge. But overall theres been no major complaints.
    Forget those card indexes betting. There a joke. You might as well bet on a number in the lotto.

• Advertisement

go and review the games yourself. im going off to talk more sh*te through my pocket..
    Thanks, just as I thought.

Advertisement