Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help buying a Canon Camera??

• 13-06-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi Guys and Gals,

Used a Canon camera last night,can't remember what exact model.
    But it was savage, I want one now.
    It looked like this but I don't know if its it. http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3661023/art/canon/eos-500d-ef-s-18-55mm-len.html

What should I get wouldn't want to spend more than €800. I'd want a memory card, a decent lense, and a carry bag. And most important the latest.

What should I get and where should I buy?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=4233
    This is the preceding model to the 500D but it doesn't have video.
    www.berminghamcameras.ie

The Canon 550D is now the current model in this line

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JuliePhotoArt

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=4233
    This is the preceding model to the 500D but it doesn't have video.
    www.berminghamcameras.ie

The Canon 550D is now the current model in this line

I'd rather spend more on lenses than on body.
    This is good offer, Canon 450D should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

carmad wrote: »
    Hi Guys and Gals,

Used a Canon camera last night,can't remember what exact model.
    But it was savage, I want one now.
    It looked like this but I don't know if its it. http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3661023/art/canon/eos-500d-ef-s-18-55mm-len.html

What should I get wouldn't want to spend more than €800. I'd want a memory card, a decent lense, and a carry bag. And most important the latest.

What should I get and where should I buy?

Cheers.

The pixmania price isn't great. I would buy the 450D, 500D or if you
    can raise a few quid more the 550D. Argos prices are €597.56,
    €719.99 and €899.99. This is for the camera and the standard
    18-55mm IS lens. This is plenty to get you started. If you do
    decide to add the 55-250mm IS Canon lens later, they are under
    €200 on eBay. I bought the 500D from Argos. I got €55 back from
    Canon's cashback promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'd recommend getting the Canon 550D over the 500D if at all possible, but even if you can go for the 50D/40D with a good lens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

Be careful when planing with your budget.I streched as much as i could,bought that 550d,and now strugling to buy good lens.Camera beter mach lens,with that camera and kit lens you will be crying for more quality from such expensive camera.If you not filming videos in HD as that 550d does,I would sugest you 500d body only,and then the lens.Would sugest canon 50mm 1.4f,Or sigma eqivalent.
    Hope that helped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

My advice would be to buy second-hand. You will get a lot more for your money and if you buy from a shop you will get a warrantee.
    I use Conns Cameras and had a look on their site. You would get a 400D with an 18-55mm lens for €300. That would leave a lot for a nice lens.
    Better would be a 30D for €400 that they show in their stock.
    With the 400D you could ask them for the camera without the kit lens and get a little off (not much I will say). They have a canon 28-135 IS for another €300, that would be a great everyday lens. Than they have a Sigma 100-300mm for €80, that would be a start to give you that little more length.
    With the rest of your budget try them or better ebay for cards bags ect.

Go into some good shops and get their advice.

Just my thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

bigjoe wrote: »
    My advice would be to buy second-hand. You will get a lot more for your money and if you buy from a shop you will get a warrantee.
    I use Conns Cameras and had a look on their site. You would get a 400D with an 18-55mm lens for €300. That would leave a lot for a nice lens.
    Better would be a 30D for €400 that they show in their stock.
    With the 400D you could ask them for the camera without the kit lens and get a little off (not much I will say). They have a canon 28-135 IS for another €300, that would be a great everyday lens. Than they have a Sigma 100-300mm for €80, that would be a start to give you that little more length.
    With the rest of your budget try them or better ebay for cards bags ect.

Go into some good shops and get their advice.

Just my thoughts.
    + 1. And use adverts.ie. Bargains to be had

Advertisement