Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Bank of Ireland credit card

Options
  • 13-06-2010 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

I have a graduate account with the Bank of Ireland and have a credit card with an €850 limit. I'm heading away on holidays and I know the limit won't cover everything and from what I know student related credit cards aren't entitled to an increase (not that I'd want one - if I had it, I'd spend it!).
    Does anyone know how much I can 'overpay' the card so as to have more of a 'limit' so to speak? I know some banks only let you overpay by a certain amount.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yes you can overpay by as much as you wish. I'd advise giving them a call and checking what their policy is as regards if your card were to get stolen and used fraudulently. Sometimes if you put your card into credit and it gets stolen, the bank will not reimburse you for any losses you suffer on the credit amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Cheers, will give them a call before I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Toots* wrote: »
    Yes you can overpay by as much as you wish. I'd advise giving them a call and checking what their policy is as regards if your card were to get stolen and used fraudulently. Sometimes if you put your card into credit and it gets stolen, the bank will not reimburse you for any losses you suffer on the credit amount.

I was wondering pretty much the same thing. If I have a limit of 500 on my card, and want to use it to pay for something that costs 1250, does this mean i can overpay my card by 750 and then use it to pay in one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Yes that's exactly it. You just need to wait until the money reaches your credit card account before making the purchase.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

They've updated the systems now, so if you go into a BOI branch and lodge in cash to your credit card it'll be available straight away. Handy to know in case you need to get money on it in a hurry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement