Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd hand prices when 4 is born next month

• 13-06-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

I plan to sell my jailbroken 3g 8gb to part fund my purchase of an iPhone 4. Realistically what should I be asking for it? Would it be more valuable unlocked as well? (currently locked to 02). 3.1.2 firmware.
    Am I better to sell it sooner rather than wait for 4 release? Would the number of apps I have on it and their value increase the phone value? Navigon etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

[QUOTE=
    irish1967
    ;66386737]I plan to sell my
    jailbroken
    3g 8
    gb
    to part fund my purchase of an iPhone 4. Realistically what should I be asking for it? Would it be more valuable unlocked as well? (currently locked to 02). 3.1.2 firmware.
    Am I better to sell it sooner rather than wait for 4 release? Would the number of apps I have on it and their value increase the phone value?
    Navigon
    etc?[/QUOTE]

A 3g locked to O2, about €150 Max. I saw a new factory unlocked one for €200. The jailbreak will not affect the value, and
    in fact
    it's illegal to see the phone with pirated apps on it

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

kjl wrote: »
    A 3g locked to O2, about €150 Max. I saw a new factory unlocked one for €200. The jailbreak will not affect the value, and
    in fact
    it's illegal to see the phone with pirated apps on it

he never said anythin about his apps been pirated just his phone was jailbroken nothing illegal there

im looking to sell my jailbroken 32gb 3gs aswell was wondering how much i can expect to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

he never said anythin about his apps been pirated

That he didn't.
    The thing is, he could sell the phone with all the apps that he bought off iTunes, but the new owner would never be able to sync the phone with his computer, cos it'll just erase the apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

:) apps are legal. The syncing thing only dawned on me when I posted. Have been offered €150 will that look less of a bargain to the buyer when 4 is launched?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

How much should I sell my 32GB legally unlocked 3GS for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

well if it's any help, i sold my 16gb 3gs there a couple of days ago for €400. Happy out. i got o2 to unlock if for me so i would recommend doing that as it will increase the price. also, if you are planning for definite to buy the iphone 4 i would sell your phone fairly quickly. right now, i'm on a nokia 2323.......killing me not having my iphone but i figure if i waited to sell, i wouldn't have gotten a good price for it.

I would sell mine, but the loudspeaker is broken and im waiting on a replacment part.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

@wez99950, you did very well to get €400.

I just had my faulty 16GB 3GS replaced by Apple (with an unlocked one) - I would dearly love to sell this brand new one now but my missis has her eye on it for when I upgrade. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Think I might be better to restore upgrade to 3.1.3 and get in officially unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Can anyone tell me how you properly get one of these unlocked? Is it the same as a normal phone? Go to a phone shop and they'll do it for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I am planning on selling my 16gb 3G. Have it Jailbroken on 3.0.1 so can easily unlock it but am well out of contract so may restore and get unlocked by o2. How do you get them to unlock it for you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how you properly get one of these unlocked? Is it the same as a normal phone? Go to a phone shop and they'll do it for you?

There is a thread pinned about unlocking iPhones. if you're talking about unlocking 4, you'll have to wait until its released.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

NothingMan wrote: »
    I am planning on selling my 16gb 3G. Have it Jailbroken on 3.0.1 so can easily unlock it but am well out of contract so may restore and get unlocked by o2. How do you get them to unlock it for you?

Again, look at the pinned thread on the first page about O2 unlocking.....

whiterebel wrote: »
    There is a thread pinned about unlocking iPhones. if you're talking about unlocking 4, you'll have to wait until its released.
    Again, look at the pinned thread on the first page about O2 unlocking.....

I have read the OP of that thread and posted in there, But it only seems to be a software unlock, I'd prefer a hardware unlock so I can update whenever I want.

Thanks.

I have read the OP of that thread and posted in there, But it only seems to be a software unlock, I'd prefer a hardware unlock so I can update whenever I want.
    I presume this the hardware unlock thread spoken of... i.e. Via O2.

Short of buying a factory unlocked phone I think via your (ex?) network and Apple is the only option.

Dades wrote: »
    I presume this the hardware unlock thread spoken of... i.e. Via O2.

Short of buying a factory unlocked phone I think via your (ex?) network and Apple is the only option.

Thanks, Do you know the price? I'm aware that phone shops offer this, But I'd assume they're software unlocking it?

Thanks, Do you know the price? I'm aware that phone shops offer this, But I'd assume they're software unlocking it?
    O2 are unlocking all their customers iPhones. Free if you're on contract and if you spend €150 on PAYG or something...

Not sure what the dealio with ex customers is but worth a call to see what they can do for you. The procedure is they send your IMEI number to Apple who unlock the device so that you can unlock via iTunes.

Thanks.

There is no such thing as a hardware unlock. Even factory unlocked is done through software.

There is no such thing as a hardware unlock. Even factory unlocked is done through software.

Well that's what I mean, it seems to be noticed as more of a hardware unlock as software updates don't affect it, Yes i'm simplifying it but posting here saying "Can i software unlock blah" would just get the thread moved to the unlocking thread..

Well that's what I mean, it seems to be noticed as more of a hardware unlock as software updates don't affect it, Yes i'm simplifying it but posting here saying "Can i software unlock blah" would just get the thread moved to the unlocking thread..

You seem to be confusing Jailbreak and unlocking with official unlocking by Apple or the Network. As I said, there is no such thing as a Hardware unlock. Official unlocks are unaffected by updates.

• Advertisement

Im confused, why would anyone pay the same amount for an iphone 3g as an iphone 4, don't they know that Iphone 4 is like 3 times the speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Im confused, why would anyone pay the same amount for an iphone 3g as an iphone 4, don't they know that Iphone 4 is like 3 times the speed

An iPhone 4 will be approx 500 - 600 euro on a pay as you go. People are selling unlocked 3Gs for about 200 and 3G for 150. Obviously not as good as a 4 but 99% of the functionality for 1/3 the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

and i think a lot of people still mightn't know that a new version is coming out soon. certainly, when i was selling mine, there was no mention of the iphone 4 from potential buyers

You seem to be confusing Jailbreak and unlocking with official unlocking by Apple or the Network. As I said, there is no such thing as a Hardware unlock. Official unlocks are unaffected by updates.

No I don't, As I said, If I came to this forum wording it as a "software" unlock, then I'd get pointed in the direction of all the software that can be downloaded for free, Usually official phone unlocks are done using hard ware which Is why I mentioned this as it would make it clear that i'm not looking for the type of software unlock that is mentioned alot on this forum I'm looking for an official apple unlock which I found easiest to work as a hard ware unlock.

Hopefully that's clear enough and you won't have to repost the same information again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Dades wrote: »
    O2 are unlocking all their customers iPhones. Free if you're on contract and if you spend €150 on PAYG or something...

Not sure what the dealio with ex customers is but worth a call to see what they can do for you. The procedure is they send your IMEI number to Apple who unlock the device so that you can unlock via iTunes.

how far into your contract do you need to be for them to unlock it?

redman wrote: »
    how far into your contract do you need to be for them to unlock it?
    Don't know, tbh, but I would imagine they'd do it straightaway as once you're under contract they've got your cash anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

No I don't, As I said, If I came to this forum wording it as a "software" unlock, then I'd get pointed in the direction of all the software that can be downloaded for free, Usually official phone unlocks are done using hard ware which Is why I mentioned this as it would make it clear that i'm not looking for the type of software unlock that is mentioned alot on this forum I'm looking for an official apple unlock which I found easiest to work as a hard ware unlock.

Hopefully that's clear enough and you won't have to repost the same information again :rolleyes:

I think you're confusing things. All phones are locked using software, there is no such thing as a "hardware lock" afaik. If there was such a thing as a 'hardware lock', it wouldn't be possible to unlock it using software.

The hardware of a locked phone and an unlocked phone is identical, the only difference between the two is software.

There are two routes to unlock the iPhone, both use software. One is legit, and is processed Apple, the other is illegitimate, is not condoned by Apple and is legally on the borderline.

Apple keeps track of which carrier every iPhone ever sold belongs to trough it's serial number. When an iPhone is updated through iTunes, Apple can see whether it should be locked to a specific carrier or unlocked and iTunes downloads the relevant iPhone OS software.

A carrier is able to request Apple to unlock any of the iPhones sold trough it. All that really happens here is the serial number of the iPhone is moved by Apple from the list of locked phones to the list of unlocked phones and the next time and every successive time the phone is updated through iTunes it is loaded with unlocked software.

'Jailbraking' or what you seem to mistakingly term 'software unlocking' it done by loading the iPhone with a third party heavily altered (hacked) version of iPhone OS, i.e one that is not provided by Apple. And it is this OS that allows the use of any sim card. At the same stage it also allows the loading of independent (free) software. This is done against the wishes of Apple and the carriers themselves and is in legal murky waters.

If you want a legitimately unlocked phone all you need to do is request the phone to be unlocked the the carrier you bought it from. It will be up to them to decide under what terms they will do so.

^^ I think Ricky91t is aware of all this. He just (maybe inadvisedly) used the term "hardware" unlock to refer to the Apple software unlock in order to differentiate between that and the hacked version.

I thought it was obvious what he was getting but there you go.

Don't worry I won't, because you're making something very easily understood, very complicated. Good luck with your "hardware unlock"....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

A hardware unlock generally implies that the device is physically opened for the unlock to be performed. It can involve soldering irons, oscilloscopes, you name it. The first-ever iPhone unlock was a hardware unlock: http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2007/08/full-hardware-unlock-of-iphone-done.html

Advertisement